Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 213
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you That's ...
  1. #91
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you
    That's a "strong arm rub"?

    What do they mean by that?

  2. #92
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    That's a "strong arm rub"?

    What do they mean by that?
    Well, there are various parts of the system. Off the top of my head (and not exactly certain as they can change things):

    If you don't give them a credit/debit card, you won't be able to use MM+ to make purchases.

    If you don't want them to use your name, you won't be able to get certain personalized experiences (there are several rumored ones, but nothing concrete, other than meet and greet characters could call guests by name)

    If you opt out of MagicBand, certain experiences triggers by the RF transmitter in the MagicBand would not be available.

    If you opt out of creating a My Disney Experience profile, you wouldn't be able to make FastPass+ advance selections - which might lock you out of getting anything for the headliners.

    And if you opt-out completely from RFID (if that will even be possible), you won't be able to use the FastPass+ system at all - and although uncertain it seems unlikely that the original Fastpass system will remain.
    Last edited by doconeill; 01-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  3. #93
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Understood.

    But most of that, considering the current system, is already how it works.

    Correct?

  4. #94
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Aside from being able to charge to the room, I think they are all new things - although some of the "personalized" stuff could be achieved by wearing the celebration buttons - the new system wouldn't require that as they'd know before you even approach.

    For Fastpass now, you didn't need to provide any information at all - you just needed a ticket used to enter the park that day. According to the attachments in Iger's response, you may need to at least provide an email address to use FastPass+ at all.

    So, by opting out as completely as possible, you would certainly lose out on the new experiences they are touting - but you could also be losing Fastpass in whatever form it is.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  5. #95
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Well, there are various parts of the system. Off the top of my head (and not exactly certain as they can change things):

    If you don't give them a credit/debit card, you won't be able to use MM+ to make purchases.

    If you don't want them to use your name, you won't be able to get certain personalized experiences (there are several rumored ones, but nothing concrete, other than meet and greet characters could call guests by name)

    If you opt out of MagicBand, certain experiences triggers by the RF transmitter in the MagicBand would not be available.

    *If you opt out of creating a My Disney Experience profile, you wouldn't be able to make FastPass+ advance selections - which might lock you out of getting anything for the headliners.

    And if you opt-out completely from RFID (if that will even be possible), you won't be able to use the FastPass+ system at all - and although uncertain it seems unlikely that the original Fastpass system will remain.
    Exactly. *And this one in particular along with ADRs is what makes opting out not a viable option.

    Disney could in theory, if guests opt out not offer ME transportation to guests because technically that is subcontracted out.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  6. #96
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Aside from being able to charge to the room, I think they are all new things - although some of the "personalized" stuff could be achieved by wearing the celebration buttons - the new system wouldn't require that as they'd know before you even approach.

    For Fastpass now, you didn't need to provide any information at all - you just needed a ticket used to enter the park that day. According to the attachments in Iger's response, you may need to at least provide an email address to use FastPass+ at all.

    So, by opting out as completely as possible, you would certainly lose out on the new experiences they are touting - but you could also be losing Fastpass in whatever form it is.
    E-mail?

    Honestly?

    Good lord, folks. We're digging...

  7. #97
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    E-mail?

    Honestly?

    Good lord, folks. We're digging...
    I am not digging. It was in Iger's response to Markey:

    Guests can participate in MyMagic+ and visit the park without using the MagicBand by choosing a card instead. The card contains a short-range chip whose location cannot be detected by the long-range readers stationed in the park. We also plan to provide the option for such guests to use the Fast Pass [sic] system by simply providing basic contact information (name and email address). As is also true for parties using MyMagic+, the system would not require separate email addresses for other members of the guest party.
    From the line after that, it seems that they would also offer a way to link cards together into one party (much like MyMagic+), so just one person can get FP+ for the party, and only need one email address for it.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  8. #98
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    198

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    All of this MM+ is a massive joke.

    Disney seems to purposefully be trying to make visiting WDW more difficult and complicated.

    I'm glad I give them as little of my money as possible. Their resorts and most of their dine-in restaurants (Quick service aside) are rip-offs.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

  9. #99
    HauntedGabe's Avatar
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Hamlet, IL
    Posts
    27,296

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Disney has started selling single and multi-day tickets with RFID chips. They are plastic and can be used for turnstiles & touch to enter. This pass launch would have coincided with the test that got derailed.Would not be surprised if word didn't trickle on down the pike.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

    They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

    Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

  10. #100
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I am not digging. It was in Iger's response to Markey:



    From the line after that, it seems that they would also offer a way to link cards together into one party (much like MyMagic+), so just one person can get FP+ for the party, and only need one email address for it.
    What I'm saying is that if we're going to start complaining about giving our email address, that's simply pathetic.

    I have given them my email address every time I purchase tickets/hotels.

    Every time. So I can receive a confirmation email. It's pretty much standard procedure any time you purchase something online.

    It's not a deal breaker. And if somebody choses not to give their email address for "privacy reasons" then they deserve to not receive the benefit you pointed out.

    Good lord...

  11. #101
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    What I'm saying is that if we're going to start complaining about giving our email address, that's simply pathetic.

    I have given them my email address every time I purchase tickets/hotels.

    Every time. So I can receive a confirmation email. It's pretty much standard procedure any time you purchase something online.

    It's not a deal breaker. And if somebody choses not to give their email address for "privacy reasons" then they deserve to not receive the benefit you pointed out.

    Good lord...
    Right...and there are those who don't want to give their email addresses. They do things in person or over the phone.

    Most of us are more than glad to give our email addresses...we WANT to be marketed to by Disney. We want the discounts, etc.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  12. #102
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Disney has started selling single and multi-day tickets with RFID chips. They are plastic and can be used for turnstiles & touch to enter. This pass launch would have coincided with the test that got derailed.Would not be surprised if word didn't trickle on down the pike.
    I thought they would have to quickly...the reports of the lines at the old turnstiles that are left are getting frightening. One third converted, one third in process, leaving one third for all the people who did not have resort package tickets on their RFID KTTW cards...
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  13. #103
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Right...and there are those who don't want to give their email addresses. They do things in person or over the phone.

    Most of us are more than glad to give our email addresses...we WANT to be marketed to by Disney. We want the discounts, etc.
    Doc, it's as simple as checking the box saying you do not wish to receive anything from Disney. I never receive anything from them. At all.

    But, even going on your premise, get a Gmail account.

    This is simply not an issue, no matter how one tries to spin it.

  14. #104
    doconeill's Avatar
    doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,328

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    I'm not trying to spin it at all. I know people who refuse to give out their email addresses, regardless of how easy it is to get a throwaway address. I'm simply pointing out that there are people who would have to give information to use a feature that they did not need to give before.

    I am not one of them. I run my own domains and email servers - I can have billions of email addresses if I wanted.
    Doc

    Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news


  15. #105
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,352

    Re: New WDW Tech Launches

    It's a Luddite approach. That's all I'm getting at. Do you want to participate in the technology, or not?

    The most ironic part being that Walt Disney was always pushing the technological envelope. While he is hailed as a forward-looking genius, anyone in the company currently trying to do the same is looked at as some kind of nefarious baboon. It's an amusing double standard.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Article on X-S Tech
    By Hiddenmickeyboy in forum Miscellaneous
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 10:00 PM
  2. Disney Parks launches its blog
    By thegoz85 in forum Walt Disney World (WDW) News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2009, 09:57 PM
  3. A tech question, but not about the forums
    By 04CP_ Nolan in forum General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 10:38 AM
  4. Viewing launches from WDW
    By tizzo in forum WDW Theme Parks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 10:47 AM
  5. Disney Stays on Top of Tech Trends
    By Timbo in forum The Walt Disney Company
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •