Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you That's ...
    Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

Please be aware that, if you do not allow us to collect personal information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you
    That's a "strong arm rub"?

What do they mean by that?

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    That's a "strong arm rub"?

What do they mean by that?
    Well, there are various parts of the system. Off the top of my head (and not exactly certain as they can change things):

If you don't give them a credit/debit card, you won't be able to use MM+ to make purchases.

If you don't want them to use your name, you won't be able to get certain personalized experiences (there are several rumored ones, but nothing concrete, other than meet and greet characters could call guests by name)

If you opt out of MagicBand, certain experiences triggers by the RF transmitter in the MagicBand would not be available.

If you opt out of creating a My Disney Experience profile, you wouldn't be able to make FastPass+ advance selections - which might lock you out of getting anything for the headliners.

And if you opt-out completely from RFID (if that will even be possible), you won't be able to use the FastPass+ system at all - and although uncertain it seems unlikely that the original Fastpass system will remain.
    Last edited by doconeill; 01-30-2013 at 05:49 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Understood.

But most of that, considering the current system, is already how it works.

Correct?

Aside from being able to charge to the room, I think they are all new things - although some of the "personalized" stuff could be achieved by wearing the celebration buttons - the new system wouldn't require that as they'd know before you even approach.

For Fastpass now, you didn't need to provide any information at all - you just needed a ticket used to enter the park that day. According to the attachments in Iger's response, you may need to at least provide an email address to use FastPass+ at all.

So, by opting out as completely as possible, you would certainly lose out on the new experiences they are touting - but you could also be losing Fastpass in whatever form it is.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Well, there are various parts of the system. Off the top of my head (and not exactly certain as they can change things):

If you don't give them a credit/debit card, you won't be able to use MM+ to make purchases.

If you don't want them to use your name, you won't be able to get certain personalized experiences (there are several rumored ones, but nothing concrete, other than meet and greet characters could call guests by name)

If you opt out of MagicBand, certain experiences triggers by the RF transmitter in the MagicBand would not be available.

*If you opt out of creating a My Disney Experience profile, you wouldn't be able to make FastPass+ advance selections - which might lock you out of getting anything for the headliners.

And if you opt-out completely from RFID (if that will even be possible), you won't be able to use the FastPass+ system at all - and although uncertain it seems unlikely that the original Fastpass system will remain.
    Exactly. *And this one in particular along with ADRs is what makes opting out not a viable option.

Disney could in theory, if guests opt out not offer ME transportation to guests because technically that is subcontracted out.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Aside from being able to charge to the room, I think they are all new things - although some of the "personalized" stuff could be achieved by wearing the celebration buttons - the new system wouldn't require that as they'd know before you even approach.

For Fastpass now, you didn't need to provide any information at all - you just needed a ticket used to enter the park that day. According to the attachments in Iger's response, you may need to at least provide an email address to use FastPass+ at all.

So, by opting out as completely as possible, you would certainly lose out on the new experiences they are touting - but you could also be losing Fastpass in whatever form it is.
    E-mail?

Honestly?

Good lord, folks. We're digging...

E-mail?

Honestly?

Good lord, folks. We're digging...
    I am not digging. It was in Iger's response to Markey:

Guests can participate in MyMagic+ and visit the park without using the MagicBand by choosing a card instead. The card contains a short-range chip whose location cannot be detected by the long-range readers stationed in the park. We also plan to provide the option for such guests to use the Fast Pass [sic] system by simply providing basic contact information (name and email address). As is also true for parties using MyMagic+, the system would not require separate email addresses for other members of the guest party.
    From the line after that, it seems that they would also offer a way to link cards together into one party (much like MyMagic+), so just one person can get FP+ for the party, and only need one email address for it.
    Doc

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

All of this MM+ is a massive joke.

Disney seems to purposefully be trying to make visiting WDW more difficult and complicated.

I'm glad I give them as little of my money as possible. Their resorts and most of their dine-in restaurants (Quick service aside) are rip-offs.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney has started selling single and multi-day tickets with RFID chips. They are plastic and can be used for turnstiles & touch to enter. This pass launch would have coincided with the test that got derailed.Would not be surprised if word didn't trickle on down the pike.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

I am not digging. It was in Iger's response to Markey:

From the line after that, it seems that they would also offer a way to link cards together into one party (much like MyMagic+), so just one person can get FP+ for the party, and only need one email address for it.
    What I'm saying is that if we're going to start complaining about giving our email address, that's simply pathetic.

I have given them my email address every time I purchase tickets/hotels.

Every time. So I can receive a confirmation email. It's pretty much standard procedure any time you purchase something online.

It's not a deal breaker. And if somebody choses not to give their email address for "privacy reasons" then they deserve to not receive the benefit you pointed out.

Good lord...

What I'm saying is that if we're going to start complaining about giving our email address, that's simply pathetic.

I have given them my email address every time I purchase tickets/hotels.

Every time. So I can receive a confirmation email. It's pretty much standard procedure any time you purchase something online.

It's not a deal breaker. And if somebody choses not to give their email address for "privacy reasons" then they deserve to not receive the benefit you pointed out.

Good lord...
    Right...and there are those who don't want to give their email addresses. They do things in person or over the phone.

Most of us are more than glad to give our email addresses...we WANT to be marketed to by Disney. We want the discounts, etc.
    Doc

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Disney has started selling single and multi-day tickets with RFID chips. They are plastic and can be used for turnstiles & touch to enter. This pass launch would have coincided with the test that got derailed.Would not be surprised if word didn't trickle on down the pike.
    I thought they would have to quickly...the reports of the lines at the old turnstiles that are left are getting frightening. One third converted, one third in process, leaving one third for all the people who did not have resort package tickets on their RFID KTTW cards...
    Doc

Right...and there are those who don't want to give their email addresses. They do things in person or over the phone.

Most of us are more than glad to give our email addresses...we WANT to be marketed to by Disney. We want the discounts, etc.
    Doc, it's as simple as checking the box saying you do not wish to receive anything from Disney. I never receive anything from them. At all.

But, even going on your premise, get a Gmail account.

This is simply not an issue, no matter how one tries to spin it.

I'm not trying to spin it at all. I know people who refuse to give out their email addresses, regardless of how easy it is to get a throwaway address. I'm simply pointing out that there are people who would have to give information to use a feature that they did not need to give before.

I am not one of them. I run my own domains and email servers - I can have billions of email addresses if I wanted.
    Doc

It's a Luddite approach. That's all I'm getting at. Do you want to participate in the technology, or not?

The most ironic part being that Walt Disney was always pushing the technological envelope. While he is hailed as a forward-looking genius, anyone in the company currently trying to do the same is looked at as some kind of nefarious baboon. It's an amusing double standard.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast