Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Miscellaneous Discuss New WDW Tech Launches in the News & Rumors forums; There is a reason Disney wants an email address. Too many clueless internet users out there don't have a clue what personal information can be lifted and stored when you ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: New WDW Tech Launches

There is a reason Disney wants an email address. Too many clueless internet users out there don't have a clue what personal information can be lifted and stored when you connect to someones website. Dummy email addresses give consumers a false sense of privacy, corporations and others count on the nieve for marketing and data collection. Not checking the box for offers does nothing to stop data compiling.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

And what is done with said information?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    And what is done with said information?
    Seriously? I cannot tell if that is really a question or sarcasm.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Dead serious. I have been online for almost 20 years now. Have been buying things online that long. I'm sure there is a truly awesome database out there on little 'ol me.

How is it affecting me? Life seems pretty good.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Is anyone else a little uncomfortable about the "credit card" part of this system that lets you make purchases? Would that be reserved to on-site guests?

What if the band is lost?

I can't see many people going for that. I'm fine with using my own cash. I always spend cash at the parks unless it's a big purchase - better way to budget (actually, that's a practice I use in everyday experiences).

I'm thinking the MM+ to off site guests, if offered, will be a more scaled-down version. They're going to do what ever it takes to **** more people in to staying on-site. I could see it having the name (for "personalized" experiences), ticket, FP+ (maybe?), and ADR's, but I don't know how they would use the credit card-replacement option.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

The last two times we stayed on property we had our cards linked to our Key To The World card. Wasn't uncomfortable at all. Just means one less card you have to carry around. We only use cash in places where cards are not accepted.

As for losing the band, what if you lose your wallet? Or your credit card?

And if you do lose it, contact guest services immediately to have it deactivated. And, if necessary, call your bank and have a freeze placed on your card.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Is anyone else a little uncomfortable about the "credit card" part of this system that lets you make purchases? Would that be reserved to on-site guests?

I can't see many people going for that. I'm fine with using my own cash. I always spend cash at the parks unless it's a big purchase - better way to budget (actually, that's a practice I use in everyday experiences).

I'm thinking the MM+ to off site guests, if offered, will be a more scaled-down version. They're going to do what ever it takes to **** more people in to staying on-site. I could see it having the name (for "personalized" experiences), ticket, FP+ (maybe?), and ADR's, but I don't know how they would use the credit card-replacement option.
    Iger or Staggs, I forget which, said that apparently touch-to-pay will be offered to off-site guests.

After an initial test period, WDW switch from a "PIN only for purchases over $50" to a "PIN for every purchase" policy, so unless you write your PIN on the band/card, losing it isn't an issue.

As for the privacy issue discussion...I think technology is changing far faster than people can think about the implications for them and their privacy. Everyone wants a smartphone, without understanding what it means. Everybody's on Facebook, sharing with their "friends", without understanding what that means. Periodically the brakes are applied by groups like the EFF and Congress to try and look (usually quite unsuccessfully) at the issues.

The bigger concerns aren't necessarily what the company would do with the information it has...its more about them having it and possibly it being exposed to others. Just imagine what would happen if hackers got access to the Disney database. There probably isn't a bigger one out there.

And amazingly enough, there are still people in this world without email addresses, without internet connections, etc. who might travel to Disney, ticket in hand.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

That's a good point - but I don't remember it appearing adjustable in any of the pictures. Never was a fan of anything that fit around my wrist that wasn't adjustable....what if it was too big and slid off (I'm kinda "small wristed")? It's easier to lose than something down in a bag or pocket, at least it is IMO.

Seems like one more thing to worry about losing, to me.

MM+ seems, to me, like a way for Disney to try to get even more people to buy tickets directly from them. I've always bought my tickets the night before going to the parks at the offsite places - I don't see how that could be possible with the new system.
    Last edited by clj2; 01-31-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post

The bigger concerns aren't necessarily what the company would do with the information it has...its more about them having it and possibly it being exposed to others. Just imagine what would happen if hackers got access to the Disney database. There probably isn't a bigger one out there.
    That's why you encrypt the sensitive stuff.

77 million accounts were stolen from the Playstation Network a couple of years ago. But, the credit card information, and passwords I believe, were fully encrypted. Other than the network shutting down for an extended period of time to beef up security, that was pretty much the end of the story. Not a single report of credit card fraud.

That's a good point - but I don't remember it appearing adjustable in any of the pictures. Never was a fan of anything that fit around my wrist that wasn't adjustable....what if it was too big and slid off (I'm kinda "small wristed")? It's easier to lose than something down in a bag or pocket, at least it is IMO.

Seems like one more thing to worry about losing, to me.

MM+ seems, to me, like a way for Disney to try to get even more people to buy tickets directly from them. I've always bought my tickets the night before going to the parks at the offsite places - I don't see how that could be possible with the new system.
    They will be properly adjusted to your wrist size.

https://twitter.com/TouringPlans/sta...559424/photo/1

You can clearly see the adjustable design here.

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    Iger or Staggs, I forget which, said that apparently touch-to-pay will be offered to off-site guests.

After an initial test period, WDW switch from a "PIN only for purchases over $50" to a "PIN for every purchase" policy, so unless you write your PIN on the band/card, losing it isn't an issue.

As for the privacy issue discussion...I think technology is changing far faster than people can think about the implications for them and their privacy. Everyone wants a smartphone, without understanding what it means. Everybody's on Facebook, sharing with their "friends", without understanding what that means. Periodically the brakes are applied by groups like the EFF and Congress to try and look (usually quite unsuccessfully) at the issues.

And amazingly enough, there are still people in this world without email addresses, without internet connections, etc. who might travel to Disney, ticket in hand.
    Disney very quickly added that pin number to their swipe to pay too, it was a bad practice for Disney to implement without pin to start with. What other bad practices do they have that we are unaware of?

My folks are a good example of demographic that you describe.

I always carry cash with me when I am Disney. I was there once with a long power outage. In April AK's they lost the ability to swipe while I was there in the spring but were accepting cash. My son around this time last year and a co-worker had an issue at a resturant not owned by Disney on the West Side. The each used their own debit card to pay tab. The wait staff person swiped on each debit card two transactions instead of one each. On both of the bogus ones there was a large tip. The friend caught it quickly, DS phoned home and had me check online since he couldn't at the moment. It was a pretty good scam, they went in and management pulled all four transactions, 2 had correct signatures, two did not. What the now unemployed wait staff hadn't counted on was they were not "guests" they were CM's and lived close enough to fight the charges to their debit card with ease and in person, in the lobby. No matter where you are you have to guard those debit/credit cards and track your accounts.

Dead serious. I have been online for almost 20 years now. Have been buying things online that long. I'm sure there is a truly awesome database out there on little 'ol me.

How is it affecting me? Life seems pretty good.
    This is why I didn't poke fun of Congressman Markey. There are too many people that don't know. There is a world of information on the web about IP's and explanations on how consumers can unwittingly be turning over private information and web histories along with what websites garner while connected to an IP address. Even if it isn't consistently the same IP like 3G and 4G systems websites have the ability to isolate same users of their system. You can spend a few hours or a few days reading on the web how it affects you and the types of data that is extracted purposefully.

While Markey could have worded that letter more professionally you can tell his thought process was on target and Iger didn't come close to disclosing specifics. Referring Markey to a Privacy Policy that is crafted to release Disney from the 2005 law about compiling info didn't really hit the heart of Markey's questions and likely Iger lashed out to draw attention away from his incomplete answers. Lashing worked well with some fans and others not so much, especially those who had some understanding of data extraction. I know one thing, if I simply delete my profile that doesn't necessarily mean my IP address is not embedded in their system and who knows what else is embedded.

Nor like Doc stated if it is hacked or what if one of their employees decides to do something nefarious with the data they have access to? While Disney always tracked guests to some degree, RFID is relatively new as are the security measures for RFID. Nobody has rolled out a RFID to the extent Disney is and Disney in a years time is launching so many different aspects you wonder how well they comprehend the vastness of RFID. There seems to be more questions than answers to what they are compiling, what and why. I'm betting it isn't just to enhance my trip. Troublesome that they launched swipe to pay without a pin for $50 or less initially raised my radar enough that I wonder if speed of transactions was more important than the security measures at first blush. I hope the Privacy Caucus is able to garner some better answers.

Ah...

In other words, you don't know, but from everything you've heard it could be bad.

I've never had my identity stolen, I do not get spam in my email, I've never been secretly detained by the authorities for questioning, and I've yet to be killed in a drone attack.

After nearly 20 years online. They are obviously just lulling me into a false sense of security. Maybe I should star closing my blinds at night...

Ah...

In other words, you don't know, but from everything you've heard it could be bad.
    Can you narrow that down? And what is the it you are referring to?

How do they use it? How does it affect me? In other words, how are they compromising my privacy and using it against me?

Or even "for" me in their view.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Identity theft and credit card fraud are excellent examples. But, see my above example concerning the 77 million accounts that were stolen on the Playstation Network. You have to be actively acting stupidly in order for somebody to truly do either of those things successfully.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 01-31-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast