Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Disney Studios? in the News & Rumors forums; Last night when we were watching the DVD from Disney Cruise Lines, I heard something that did not sound right. When they were describing the fun things to do at ...
    shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!

Disney Studios?

Last night when we were watching the DVD from Disney Cruise Lines, I heard something that did not sound right. When they were describing the fun things to do at WDW during the land part of the land/sea cruise option they called Disney-MGM Studios "Disney Studios". Now When I worked at WDW I entered a few official trivia contests on teams at different resorts and the answers to those questions depended heavily on nomenclature. . . . the exact name of places and such. For instance, it's not "The Sci-Fi" but "Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater Restaurant"
    So what is going on that Disney would call Disney-MGM Studios Disney Studios and leave out the MGM on a piece of official promotional material?
    I can't believe it was a mistake because they said it twice.
    What's the deal? Anyone know?
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Shades, I know there is at least one other thread on here with this same question

The short(ish) answer is that the deal with MGM had specific terms about when the MGM name and logo could be used. It specifically prohibits Disney from using it in certain promotional materials, like the videos & DVD's.

The original deal between MGM & Disney expired on June 27th of this year, but so far there has been no word as to whether the deal was extended, modified, or terminated. If it was terminated, all references to the name MGM and their Lion logo will have to be removed from the park (the Wizard of Oz scene & other movies in GMR are not part of that agreement and are safe for now)
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Thanks! It was nagging at me. Anyone know anything about this deal that expired?
    It would seem that something like that would not pass unnoticed.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"