Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss autistic children and Disney World in the News & Rumors forums; This is a topic I don't see disscussed alot. I have an autistic little brother. First time we went to WDW back in 1990, he was about 4 or 5 ...
    Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder

autistic children and Disney World

This is a topic I don't see disscussed alot. I have an autistic little brother. First time we went to WDW back in 1990, he was about 4 or 5 and he didn't enjoy it much. It was too crowed, too noisy, he was being led around alot, put on ride every five minutes and was pretty much WAAAY over-stimulated for his mental state. I recall him often saying he had to use the bathroom, and it wasn't because he needed to pee. He needed some place quite and relaxing to regain his thoughts. One thing he DID enjoy however was the characters. They were something he recognized. I recall a great moment where we were at a character breakfast and characters were going to tables except ours and he began to panic until Minnie appeared. He talked complete gibberish to her at the point where she just looked at us and shrugged. I also have a video of him giving Pooh a kiss on the nose. ^^ If we ever get the proper equipment to upload videos into our computer, i'll show it to you. But other than that, he didn't seem to enjoy it because it was far too hectic for him. Fastfoward 15 years later. We go again in 2005. He enjoys it WAAAY more. We take time to tell him what we're doing, what we'll be going through, and though he's still mentally younger than us, he has matured enough that he can enjoy it more. He especially loved the Buzz Lightyear ride because his favorite character happens to be Buzz. He enjoyed it to the point that he was crying as the park closed and didn't want to go back to reality. *I couldn't blame him on that*
    Anyone else have experience with thier autistic children or siblings?

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Well, I did go with some family friends one time. They had special connections with Magic Kingdom or something like that. Now, one of their causins has autism. So, he was in a stroller. He was about 9 or 10. Everywhere we went, he got very special treatment from CM's and characters. At our character breakfast in the Crystal Palace, he got lots of attention from the characters. (Individually of course. He would have hated being surrounded by them.) It was odd because it's like every CM knew who we were and about this little kid. He got a free balloon and lollipop from one CM working on Main Street. It was fantastic.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    That's AWESOME! Like I said, my little brother loved it the second time. He was all over the place, trying to meet as many characters as he can. I think he got like, 20 autographs.