Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Information Overload in the News & Rumors forums; I was just wondering. What does everyone think of all the info that's available out there about the World? I'm playing devils advocate here, but isn't nice when sometimes you ...
    Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder

Information Overload

I was just wondering. What does everyone think of all the info that's available out there about the World? I'm playing devils advocate here, but isn't nice when sometimes you don't know the secrets behind the magic? For me it's different being a recent former CM I had to know due to the job. Sometimes I wish I didn't know as much, you know keep it innocent.I'm kinda curious what the other half thinks.

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseman
    I was just wondering. What does everyone think of all the info that's available out there about the World? I'm playing devils advocate here, but isn't nice when sometimes you don't know the secrets behind the magic? For me it's different being a recent former CM I had to know due to the job. Sometimes I wish I didn't know as much, you know keep it innocent.I'm kinda curious what the other half thinks.
    i agree to a certain extent. for me, it's like a "suspension of disbelief". i like to know the secrets, behind the scenes, etc........

but, when i'm experiencing the attraction or whatever, it all gets put aside, and i just enjoy and take it in.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Andrew loves to try and figure out the magic, I am very happy not knowing!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i gotta agree w/ grumpydude...i like to know the secrets bc i feel like i can still have the disney magic at home, but when i'm there i don't think about it.
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Most of the time, I feel that knowing the secrets I have a much deeper appreciation for the magic. But at the same time, I wouldn't recommend someone take the behind-the-magic Keys to the Kingdom tour on their first visit. Experience the magic first, then learn about it.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Oh, I love knowing the secrets. Just as disneydame said, I have a much deeper appreciation for it. I appreciate every single ride knowing how much work went into it!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

disneygurl213 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    SOMEBODY HELP!!!! I found 49 hidden mickeys @ VMK I cannot find the 50th! does anyone have a list they can send me? plz? I need your help so badly!!!

The Magic still lives

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I think you'd have better luck looking or asking in the VMK forum on this site, disneygurl213. That's way off the topic of this thread. Try here: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...splay.php?f=88
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    www.vmkguide.com also provides A LOT of vmk (secret) info!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

esigsby is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Last edited by esigsby; 02-14-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I agree with you. When I look at the magic of WDW I look at the monumental effort and coordination that it takes to put on the "on stage" magic. Where I get my pleasure is when I see the face of a child light up when they see Mickey for the first time or when someone who has been there hundreds of times discovers something new and is just floored by it. I guess the magic comes from each of us, and what is meaningful to us. Also from all the CM's who understand what Disney means to so many and work so hard to live up to those expectations. I was always curious of the guests that know so much about the inner workings but don't actually work there. Basically I wanted to know if knowing so much might hurt the magic. It's nice to see that it doesn't. This forum has allowed me to ask a question that I know I could not ask at work. Thanks everyone.

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    to a degree, yes. I did enjoy a Haunted Mansion page's "behind the scenes" article though.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I like to be wowed with the magic when i first discover something new, let it settle in on me a bit, let me scratch my head and marvel... and then after it's no longer new to me, THEN I want to see how it's done if I haven't figured it out for myself first (which I usually can't).

My two most powerful "wow" moments I've had in recent months have to have been:

1) PUSH, the walking, talking Tomorrowland trashcan. I'd never even heard of him until I stumbled upon him one day. I was so dumbstruck I really almost had to sit down. I came to see him twice that day to admire him. My first assumption is that there had to have been someone inside it... that is, until I saw a kid deposit trash into him (and he burped! haha). Then I figured it had a camera or something on it, so I looked high and low all over the thing trying to see how the operator could see and hear us, but saw no such technological devices. So then I thought there had to have been an operator watching from a nearby building, but looking around, hoping to see a CM watching from a window somewhere nearby with a remote control in hand once again yielded no results. I probably never would have figured it out that day if someone behind me hadn't mentioned seeing an operator blending in with the crowd. Even with this unfortunate tip off (at that point I really wasn't ready to know, even though I was curious), I still wasn't able to pick the operator out of the crowd until my next encounter with PUSH a few weeks later. I still love seeing PUSH and Wes Palm, but none of my latest encounters have been anywhere near as "OMG!!! WOW!" as the first two were.

and...
    2) The "appearing/disappearing/reappearing in different locations on the stage in different costumes" Mickey from Fantasmic. I've known right from the start that it was lighting, smoke, pyro, and the stage itself that allowed these multiple "friend's of mickey" to demonstrate this magic for us, but sometimes... when the excitement and fantasy of the show really gets me into that "Disney really does work Wonders of Magic"-mode of thought, I see Mickey appear out of nowhere at the start of the show, or appear at the mountain top in a shower of red sparks for the finale... and it just becomes incredibly real in my mind, despite what practical reality tells me. Gosh... that finale gets my eyes all watery every time! I'm such a sap!

But at the same time, I think it's very cool to learn about what goes on behind the scenes and how hard people work and create and invent to come up with some of this stuff, all so that we as guests can have an experience unlike any other. I do think it makes us have a deeper appreciation for the magic, and I love watching/listening to someone have a "WOW!" moment over something that I was doing the same thing to just a week or two earlier.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Knowledge is power.

rxpeje63 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I love all the info out there. It keeps all of us Disney fans happy when we are not able to go there and do not live close to one of the parks.
    "I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." W.D.
    DH DS(17) DD (14)DD(10) Chewbacca(4)
    Han Solo(3)
    DW 8/1/62 - 9/4/10