Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Can't believe this! in the News & Rumors forums; I just read on another, to be unnamed, WDW site that a poor guy was being flamed for commenting about the devastation of Hurricane Charley on Florida and the WDW ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Can't believe this!

I just read on another, to be unnamed, WDW site that a poor guy was being flamed for commenting about the devastation of Hurricane Charley on Florida and the WDW area. He was being told by many of that site's members that was negative and that specific WDW site is only about discussing WDW stuff and not the plight of people who probably are not WDW fans.

Thank goodness this wonderful site has not and will not become so rigid as to allow some KOT discussion.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Sounds like a bunch of friendly people, personally I have family who live around and work in WDW and that was one of my first concerns. By the way they are alright just a little wind damage to the house.

Quote Originally Posted by jacketsfan683
    Sounds like a bunch of friendly people, personally I have family who live around and work in WDW and that was one of my first concerns. By the way they are alright just a little wind damage to the house.
    Good to hear your family is OK. Welcome to WDW Trivia. This is a very friendly site. I hope you stay for a long time.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

epcot man is offline B-Ticket Holder
    yeah jiminy there are some funny folks out there---is life that hard to enjoy!!!! i think not --we should all try to be easier going --- that's why i'm glad to be in here amongst you all where we KNOW what does matter---health and family/friends etc.....
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'september 9th 2004 9:09:04 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkred>clearing for take off :crazy: </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'we have lift-off';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Quote Originally Posted by epcot man
    yeah jiminy there are some funny folks out there---is life that hard to enjoy!!!! i think not --we should all try to be easier going --- that's why i'm glad to be in here amongst you all where we KNOW what does matter---health and family/friends etc.....
    A big welcome to you too!!!

I imagine being in the UK you are have a hard time communicating with a site like this since most everyone is working now, except me--I'm retired!!!

Since this is a realitively new site there are not a lot of folks around--yet. I think this site is really going to take off, and soon. Lou's book is great, and I am sure it will generate a lot of interest in the site.

*Off Property

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I have discussed this same issue with a number of members who have expressed similar sentiments about other (supposedly) WDW-related forums.

So many of the sites' forums have strayed from what the boards were supposed to be about - the sharing of the enjoyment of all things Disney. While I encourage free discussion about other topics on my site, I think that it is in the spirit of making and maintaining friendships, and not for the preaching, etc. that often goes on. I feel that we are all friends here, and I think many of the members feel the same way, having begin to "migrate" from other sites. I only hope that other Disney fans come here and help the site grow and prosper, because it is the members that make up the site.

I think that is where there's also a big distinction between my site and so many of the others. I am a member on maybe 5-6 other boards, and have often found (especially on some of the larger ones) that not only was the site quite "clique-ie", but not always welcoming to new members ("outsiders").
    Additionally, I was quite unhappy with how people, including and sometimes especially moderators and even board owners, reacted to seemingly innocuous statements like the one which Jiminy spoke of.

I knew that when I decided to undertake putting together my own community, that similar behavior, etc. was not going to be found there. What has happened in the interim is that we have developed an incredibly friendly, welcoming community here of people that just want to share their love of WDW, etc. No heated debates about politics, no nonsensical banter about sensitive issues, etc - just a place to come and have fun, learn some new things, and even make new friends. And so far, that's exactly what we have. Other members have even told me how they enjoy that aspect of the site, and are beginning to "migrate" from their usual haunts.

I in no way mean to disparage other forums. Believe me, I acknowledge that I (we) are a relative "newcomer" to the online forums world.
    I just hope to distinguish ourselves in many ways, the most important of which is the sense of community and friendship that I believe we have created.

For this, I sincerely thank you, the members.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jacketsfan, glad to hear that your family is OK. My brother lives in Tampa and my sister-in-law said that didn't have any damage at all when she got back on Sunday.

Most of my extended family lives in the CMH area and I used to go to Blacklick Woods alot with them when I was a kid.

BTW-The Jackets ****. I'm a Canes fan, but then they **** also so I can't say much!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

jacketsfan683 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Good to see other hockey fans that also love Disney. If you make it up here sometime give me a shout I work for the Jackets.

epcot man is offline B-Ticket Holder
    guys --since i've joined this forum i've had nothing but warmth and friendliness come across.i've never joined a forum before in my nelly puff( that's life in scottish speak) but i'm proud to be in here early and i hope that i can in some way help it to grow and prosper.i've had two health scares in the past year(one recently) and it just makes you realise what's important.i've been lucky in my life so far and i feel like a millionaire in terms of what i have(family and friends and of course the odd WDW trip) --but it makes me a bit mad when you read about petty minded folk having a go at some nice guys just because they don't agree with something or get on their high horses and de-mean folk.i mean nobody's perfect and as my wise dad always says "it's nice to be nice and doesn't cost nothin'" i joined another forum recently and i thought i had become the starter of the tumbleweed thread---i asked questions and nobody ever answered---that proves Lou's cliquey theory right!!!
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'september 9th 2004 9:09:04 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=darkred>clearing for take off :crazy: </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'we have lift-off';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Glad you found this site Epcot Man. Hope your health is doing better now and that the last scare wasnt anything too serious. One thing I found about this site is that no matter who you are, where you are from, or what you believe in, you will always be loved. (As long as you don't believe that Universal Orlando is the better park!! )
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by epcot man
    guys --since i've joined this forum i've had nothing but warmth and friendliness come across.i've never joined a forum before in my nelly puff( that's life in scottish speak) but i'm proud to be in here early and i hope that i can in some way help it to grow and prosper.i've had two health scares in the past year(one recently) and it just makes you realise what's important.i've been lucky in my life so far and i feel like a millionaire in terms of what i have(family and friends and of course the odd WDW trip) --but it makes me a bit mad when you read about petty minded folk having a go at some nice guys just because they don't agree with something or get on their high horses and de-mean folk.i mean nobody's perfect and as my wise dad always says "it's nice to be nice and doesn't cost nothin'" i joined another forum recently and i thought i had become the starter of the tumbleweed thread---i asked questions and nobody ever answered---that proves Lou's cliquey theory right!!!
    WOT, but my son studied International Law for one semester at Kings College of the University of Aberdeen in 1995. He loves Scotland and its people and has been back a couple of times traveling thru the whole country.

*Off Property