Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Miscellaneous Discuss World of Disney Store - NYC in the News & Rumors forums; Tomorrow is the official grand opening of the World of Disney Store in NYC. I'm going to go sometime over the weekend - has anybody been by to check it ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

World of Disney Store - NYC

Tomorrow is the official grand opening of the World of Disney Store in NYC. I'm going to go sometime over the weekend - has anybody been by to check it out yet?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

huskybear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I haven't been in that neighborhood lately, but I can't wait to check it out. Have you heard anything about the decor/interior?

So far, the most info I've gotten about the interior came from www.mickeynews.com:

"... At the base of each toy display - eye-level to a child in a stroller - there is a silhouette of Mickey's head and ears, said Tony Mancini, a retail store executive for Disney's parks and resorts. "It's a cue to where they are," he said. The displays also are sprinkled with Tinkerbell's multicolored pixie dust. And in Goofy's Candy Company, a 9-foot-tall Goofy has candy airbrushed on his vest. The touches, he said, can be subtle but "register in the mind psychologically."

It sounds like it will be different from World of Disney in WDW and DL, by including meet & greet rooms (Lilo & Stitch will be there this month!), a video game & media room, and a Princess show/experience for girls.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Elliot is offline A-Ticket holder
    I been there and am underwhelmed by the make-over.
    The Cinderalla Court looks like a complete waste of money. I watched thru the newly installed glass doors where the bedroom/ art area use to be. As I watched thru the doors, I kept wondering why they targeted such a small population ie 5-9 year old girls? Why not turn the Third floor into a resturant with Character meals?
    They are selling Casmere sweater for $360...but not a single tie or dress shirt.??????

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE having a Word of Disney so close, just disappointed.

As for the media room/center...four video game boy machines, three listening stations for CD. Problem is that I couldn't hear the music thru the speaker above my head.

Also added, to the Third Floor area just overlooking the balcony, are a few computers where guest can plan a Disney vacation? As I check them out I wondered why a person would spend time standing at these computers researching a Disney trip. ( One one the computers was very difficult to read. The print was blurred.)

Am I just a jadded New Yorker? NAH!!!! I've just come to expect more from the Disney Co.

I visited the (new) store for the first time yesterday after work. The overall appearance and decor is the same as it was prior to the closing. Lots of whimsical character carvings in the woodwork, elaborate staging/staircase/elevator, a large video screen playing Disney films, etc. The merchandise mimicks what's offered at the World of Disney store in Orlando, with the exception of exclusive NYC items. While my visit wasn't disapointing, I wasn't impressed, either. I expected to see a brand new store featuring different and unique furnishings, that offered merchandise that differed from what the previous Disney Store sold, but it was more like I hadn't been to the store in a few months rather than seeing a grand opening- nothing more. They don't offer a very wide variety of adult clothing, and what is available for sale is way overpriced. I also miss the Disney art work- animation cels, limited edition lithos, maquettes and statues, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love the place. It's more special than the Disney Stores of recent times. I guess I was expecting a little bit more. I think the store will appeal to visitors of NYC (the exclusive merchandise is cool), but if you've been to the store before, don't expect to be overwhelmed by a new experience.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Hoping to go at the end of the week when I'm in the City... (Lou leaving AMEX home... Scottie? Can I have your Disney VISA??? )

Any theme park merchandise?
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Hoping to go at the end of the week when I'm in the City... (Lou leaving AMEX home... Scottie? Can I have your Disney VISA??? )

Any theme park merchandise?
    I had wanted to pick up the Wishes cd, that I missed out on buying this past July when I saw it at the World of Disney in the Marketplace, but the CM said that this store doesn't carry it (I guess it must be exclusive to WDW). I didn't notice any theme park stuff.

It depends on what kind of theme park merchandise you're looking for, Lou. There were all the usual gift shop items: magnets, pens, notepads, pins, bobbleheads & snowglobes, some clothing with the Walt Disney World logo on them. They also had the monorail sets, some of the toys based on attractions, and other items with the Walt Disney World/Disneyland logo.

I never had the chance to see the store before, so I can't say how much it has changed. I've got a full report in final edit and a pile of photos, if there is a place I can post it here. Lou??

I spent a couple of hours there on Sunday, and I can agree that it is a good store, but I was expecting better. Their marketing is better than their delivery.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Why do I have a sad, sinking feeling that it's going to be a costly trip to NYC when I go??!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    Why do I have a sad, sinking feeling that it's going to be a costly trip to NYC when I go??!!
    Especially if you're interested in purchasing a $300+ cashmere sweater...

NYC World of Disney Photos

I've uploaded a bunch of photos of the store to my gallery, for anyone who is curious:

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/pho...500&ppuser=187
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Pat,
    the pictures are great- Looks like you had fun!
    Wish we could go!
    Put up some pics If you have any!

Pat- Were there any characters there during your visit? Chip & Dale were hanging out in the "private room" when I was there. (Looks like a photo op to me...)

Quote Originally Posted by huskybear
    Pat- Were there any characters there during your visit? Chip & Dale were hanging out in the "private room" when I was there. (Looks like a photo op to me...)
    Lilo and Stitch were there, but their appearances were at 11:30 a.m., 12:30, and 4 p.m., and I was there from 1 to 3:30.

Santa Goofy and Chip & Dale are due back Nov. 19th. Lilo & Stitch are there until Nov. 18th.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Hey! One thing I forgot to mention: You earn TRIPLE Disney Dream Rewards Dollars if you use your Disney Visa card at NYC World of Disney and spend $50 or more. This offer ends 1/5/05 - plenty of time for holiday shopping!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast