Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss What is that island....? in the News & Rumors forums; Ok i dont understand and i appologize ahead of time if youve discussed these two things before. My family and I usually stay in the log cabins at the wilderness ...
    iwannabindisney is offline A-Ticket holder

What is that island....?

Ok i dont understand and i appologize ahead of time if youve discussed these two things before. My family and I usually stay in the log cabins at the wilderness camp grounds. The first year we went was the last year that river country was open. We loved river country and couldnt understand why it was closed the year after, all of the slides were still up and it looked like a ghost town. We heard stupid rumors about alligators getting in from the seven seas lagoon but we didnt believe them (are their even any alligators in their?).
    The year after we sat next to a couple on the ferry ride over to the MK who tried to explain about the island in the middle of the lake, we'd noticed on previous visits that it looked as though their were props set up on the island. They had said that Disney was planning on building another park on that island but it never worked out? Again I appologize for the long thread but these were two things that I always wondered about. Thanks for any answers!!! Im very curious !!

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    I thought that island was Discovery Island?

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Hmmm...I've never heard about any thing being built on the island. I dont think there should be either, it would take away from the magic kingdom. I love the anticipation and seeing the castle emerge as I cross seven seas lagoon and I think that anything built on the island would distract from this.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

iwannabindisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    yea thats what they said it was (discovery island) whats the story behind that?

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    Here are some sites that cover it and there should be video and pictures out there. It is often in search engines confused with Discovery island at AK. It was closed April 8, 1999. 1998 saw the opening of Animal Kingdom so why have two zoological parks and attendence dropped at Discovery island after AK opened up. Earlier there had been troubles with managers who were accused of killing birds and destroying local birds's nests.

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/art...er.php?aid=206

http://www.magicalmountain.net/Colum...veryisland.asp

http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/trislnd.htm

I was there in Sept. 1998 and the following article is just how I saw it and everything below was the same in 1998 as it was in 1995.

The following is what Frommers 1995 travel guide, which i own, says about the park.

This lushly tropical 1 1/2-acre zoological sanctuary- just a boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom entrance, the ContemporaryResort, or Fort Wilderness Resort - provides a tranquil counterpoint to Disney World dazzle. Plan to spend a leisurely afternooon strolling its scenic mile-long nature trail, which, shaded by a canopy of trees, winds past gurgling streams, groves of palm and bamboo, ponds and lagoons filled with ducks and trumpeter swans, a bay that is a breeding ground for brown pelicans, an colonies of rose-hued flamingos. Peacrocks roam free, and aviaries house close to 100 roseate spoonbills, scarlet ibis, kookaburras, bald eagles, toucans, parrots, partidges, king vultures, East African crowned cranes, and white-crested hornbills. Discovery Island denizens also include Patagonian cavies (they're a kind of guinea pig), alligators and caimans, Galabagos tortoises, small primates, and muntjac miniature deer from Southeast Asia. Two different bird shows and a reptile show are scheduled several times throughout the day; they take place outdoors with seating on log benchs. Guests can also look through a viewing area to see the nursery complex of the island's animal hospital, where baby birds and mammals are often hand-raised.
    Note that the original text did not say peacrocks but take out the letter r and you see that the filters would think it was a bad word, lol.
    Last edited by mechurchlady; 09-02-2006 at 05:26 AM.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.

gonesouthin is offline Let me be.... YOUR HIGH FIBER
    interesting
    Life isn't about the destination, everybody gets to that. It is about the journey.

Download my Disney Toolbar! It has links to tons of great disney sites like this one!!!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    At one point in Disney history, Discovery Island was a very popular place to go. When Discovery Island opened in 1974, WDW only consisted of the MK. They needed something else for the guests to do (and spend more money/it cost extra for the ticket to go there:$$: ) and it was also very peaceful (no rides). We use to enjoy the bird shows and seeing the animals (no wild ones) and it was very lush and green . Oh and yes, I remember the peacrocks very well (your too funny mechurchlady)!
    I miss River Country too! They could use another water park, I think it would be a great idea if they used Discovery Island and turn it into a Pirates of the Carribean type water park (i think there's been discussion of this before on these boards)
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    Wouldn't the island be too small?
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    I still have ouches from walking around that island. I was enough to keep a zoology lover busy for half a day or more. I think it was a mile or more of trails and someday maybe I will find my videos. It was so big that some guests stayed on the beach at their resort sipping crocktails and viewing the island from afar.

Sorry but you could not take your crocker spaniel onto the island but seeing eye dogs were allowed. There were a few wheelchairs and strollers for rent but not ECVs that I recall. the paths were laid out so that disabled guests could get around.

Missed River Country then and we need a small river park where we ladies could go and not have men around.
    Figment and Gurgi; chocolate and coffee; and my family. I like to cook, shop, VMK, ToonTown and sweepstaking. Trivia lover but memory not good enough.