Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Miscellaneous Discuss Jungle Cruise Pranks in the News & Rumors forums; I thought these Jungle Cruise pranks and traditions that have been passed down are hilarious. Here are some of my favorites. Sitting on the back of a baby elephant and ...
    Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Jungle Cruise Pranks

I thought these Jungle Cruise pranks and traditions that have been passed down are hilarious. Here are some of my favorites.

Sitting on the back of a baby elephant and riding it like a bucking bronco while screaming to passing boats about this exciting "Dumbo" ride at Disney.

Playing dead in the Lion's den.

Nearly every skipper has danced with the natives, usually wearing only boxer shorts.

The Shootout - a couple of skippers take a couple of guns into the jungle and stage shootouts at the African veldt (a la the Great Movie Ride) with one person on both sides of the boat shooting and the skipper returning fire and pleading for the guests to get down.

Skipper Bo, had a crew of rowdy Hispanic kids, so he decided to teach them a lesson and let the elephant squirt them. He turned the lights out, just as the elephant surfaced. When the right side of the boat got soaked, he remarked, "Well, I guess we've got a lot of wet backs on board now."

On his last day, a skipper spent his break emptying a few gallons of industrial soap into the base of the falls in the elephant pool. A huge mound of soap bubbles quickly developed such that it began interfering with show. Finally, a boat rounded the turn after Ganesha and ran into a 7-foot wall of suds. Crazy. Needless to say, the ride went 101. Skippers stood around on the dock trying to look busy during the breakdown and trying not to giggle. Eventually, one foolishly admitted that he knew who did it, and was taken upstairs and interrogated until he sang like the stool pigeon he was. The culprit has force to pay roughly $1300 for the cleanup and downtime.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
    Sitting on the back of a baby elephant and riding it like a bucking bronco while screaming to passing boats about this exciting "Dumbo" ride at Disney.
    Truly, this is the best way I've ever witnessed to tell a rookie skipper from a vet. The newbies do everything they can to take the collective attention of the guests off of the wayward CM, while the old timers play it up for all it's worth.

For the record, I'm almost positive that nearly all (if not all) these were pulled off in Disneyland, although from the skippers that I've spoken to, they've really got to mind their Ps and Qs these days. Seems there genuinely are the "Mouse Gestapo" out there dressed as regular old tourists out keeping tabs on the antics of the jungle guides, and on more than one occasion, they've been nailed by "high command." Still, their shenanigans are cheeky and fun; not the cruel and tragic variety of shenanigans (which would make them not really shenanigans at all, if you think about it...........).

I can tell you for a fact, though--there's a maintenance service hose right behind the gorilla camp scene, and it can be used for plenty of late night pranks on rookie skippers by their more senior peers. Ah, good times.

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    I can tell you for a fact, though--there's a maintenance service hose right behind the gorilla camp scene, and it can be used for plenty of late night pranks on rookie skippers by their more senior peers. Ah, good times.
    Haha. I've heard that. And yes these were refering to Disneyland. Apparently more pranks go on there than at WDW.