Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss Disney Dining "cheat"?? in the Vacation Planning forums; It is my understanding that you have to purchase the disney dining plan for everyone in your group. So is there a way to get two of our group on ...
    LAroy is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Disney Dining "cheat"??

It is my understanding that you have to purchase the disney dining plan for everyone in your group.

So is there a way to get two of our group on the plan and then have one not on the plan (ie buy tickets seperatly at a seperate time.) The only problem is we are staying onsite and would this person be able to stay in our room (at a moderate resort, a total of three in the room.)?

The only reason I am asking is that our daughter is a light eater and when we eat out anywhere as a family of three (wife, husband, daughter) we usually end up only ordering two main courses and sharing. Even doing that we usually take home a doggie bag what with the mega portions restaurants serve up now adays.

Think about it, the savings over an eight day stay will be significant. I don't snack, but my daughter does so we couuld use the snacks for her.

Opinions or advice will be accepted. I don't want to "cheat" Uncle Walt but I dont want to spend an extra three hundred or so if I don't have to.

Laroy

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You don't say how old your daughter is. The dining plan is only around $11 a day for children 9 and under.
    I don't know any way around the everybody in a room must be on the same package requirement, but maybe someone else does.

However, just a few ideas if you have to buy the dining plan for your daughter and she is over age 9:
    - use 'her' credits towards signature restaurants that require 2 credits per meal
    - take in one the dinner shows that require 2 credits
    - enjoy a character breakfast (don't HAVE to be kids to enjoy that ) and still have credits for a sit-down dinner
    Over the course of 8 days, with a little planning you could stretch those credits out so you'd have some great dining experiences, not just use them as a third meal in the same restaurant.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    My understanding is that it's all or nothing. Disney won't let you have someone in your room who's 3 or older and not on the dining plan if others in the room are. Sorry...
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    If you listen to the WDW Radio Show for the week of April 1, Pam Forrester talks about how she and her daughter split meals on the dining plan, and what they can do with the extra credits. Since you can't get out of buying the plan, at the least you can maximize your use of it.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

DisneyDreamz99 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by LAroy View Post
    It is my understanding that you have to purchase the disney dining plan for everyone in your group.

So is there a way to get two of our group on the plan and then have one not on the plan (ie buy tickets seperatly at a seperate time.) The only problem is we are staying onsite and would this person be able to stay in our room (at a moderate resort, a total of three in the room.)?

The only reason I am asking is that our daughter is a light eater and when we eat out anywhere as a family of three (wife, husband, daughter) we usually end up only ordering two main courses and sharing. Even doing that we usually take home a doggie bag what with the mega portions restaurants serve up now adays.

Think about it, the savings over an eight day stay will be significant. I don't snack, but my daughter does so we couuld use the snacks for her.

Opinions or advice will be accepted. I don't want to "cheat" Uncle Walt but I dont want to spend an extra three hundred or so if I don't have to.

Laroy

It would be great if there was a way wouldn't it? We plan on taking our son when he's 3 and doing the dining plan. I know he's not going to eat that much food even though he is a good eater. I've been to disney plenty of times and the portion sizes are usually plenty to have a child share with you.

Another thing that would be nice is if they would offer a more variety for the kids to eat.

Oh well I guess even Disney can't be perfect.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Will it be cheaper for you to skip the dining plan and pay out of pocket rather than pay an extra $300 for your daughter to not eat much?
    -- Eric