Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss How do you all Save for a Disney Vacation? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by catiebug That's interesting. Do you charge yourself differently depending on what you watch? No, just whatever is in the wallet. Single, fiver, sawbuck. I'll see how well ...
    Major Dude is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: How do you all Save for a Disney Vacation?

Quote Originally Posted by catiebug View Post
    That's interesting. Do you charge yourself differently depending on what you watch?
    No, just whatever is in the wallet. Single, fiver, sawbuck.

I'll see how well it actually works with the next trip I book. Will it pay for the hotel or maybe just a turkey leg and juice box?
    BareFozzie in the box

Lmerch44 is offline A-Ticket holder

I have a deposit made directly into my 'Disney' bank account from my paycheck. It's much easier for me to breakdown my deposits into separate accounts for house, savings, Disney to keep on track with my budget. I also add in any overtime, bonus money, and the minute I reach my mark we are on our way!!!
    When the kids were little we had a huge bottle that we decorated and named the Disney Jar. We all put in all the coins we found and then we would spend a day rolling it all and taking it to the bank. We would use this money to buy souveniers and treats at the parks.The kids loved it because they felt part of the plan and could spend their money anyway they wanted.

pburchins is offline A-Ticket holder

We save the change as well. However, I do not spend change during the day. I only spend dollars. Example, if my coffee costs $ 2,06 I will give them $ 3.00 and the 94 cents goes into the Disney fund. Throughout the day this change accumulates. Even if it a penny over.........99 cents comes back to the Disney fund. Usually, we us this money as our souvenir fund for the family. We split it 4 ways and give the kids their share explaining that this goes only for their souvenir. They suddenly become very conservative and very cheap. LOL

We own at DVC which is paid off so our hotel rooms are taken care of now. We drive to Orlando so we always pack groceries and bring a few meals such as lasagna that is easily frozen a month in advance.

kebdal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

My husband works for an airline, so we fly standby for free.
    We stay offsite at a condo (on grounds just is NOT feasible for our large family). This saves us between $1,000 - $2,000 each trip.
    I book our rental car through AAA. Sometimes its cheaper for us to rent two economy cars than to rent a van, even though we have to pay double for parking.
    I use part of our tax refund and my bonus at work.
    I pay for the disney tickets one paycheck at a time. This is always our biggest expense.
    I add money to our disney gift card with each paycheck to pay for food.
    Katie (33) and Elvis (41)
    DS Casey Michael (14)
    DS Tyler Anthony (12)
    DS Adisa Andwele (7)
    DS Jelani Aitan (5)
    DD Due August 25th!

DL: 1982, 1992, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, May 2008, Nov 2009
    WDW: 1999, May 2007, ~Oct 2010~

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

Me and my girlfriend always try to carry cash so that we can save our change. We have one of those coin counting jars and once we reach $100 we go to the bank stick in the coin counter, make our way to giant eagle and buy two $50 disney gift cards. This is nice because we use this as our spending money in the parks, and we get gas points for buying the gift cards there.

Another way is we have a large glass fishbowl type thing that we decorated with Disney stickers, and every pay day I put in however many odd dollars I have on my check. So say my check was $157 I would put $7 in the bowl, and then my girlfriend puts some tip money in every week.

Other than that it is all about squirreling money away.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

mickeyforlife is offline A-Ticket holder

I figure up how much the trip is and how long I have to pay for it and I save that much each week. my spending money and flight I save with change and I pay all the bills I can each month on my disney visa card, then end of money send the bill money that I put aside to the credit card and get those free reward dollars which I put on visa card 3 weeks before I leave. doesn't seem like I miss the money that way. but I do book my trip about 8 or 9 months out so i will have plenty of time to save.

dcbush12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am from Ohio....far far from Disney World

My wife and I have one of those coin jars that tells you how much is in it when you put coins in. We always put loose change in there and we call it "Disney Money". Anytime we get change or even just see change we call it "Disney Money" even if we aren't currently planning a trip to Disney.
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    Aug. 2008----Coronado Springs (Engaged!)
    Dec. 2009----POFC (Honeymoon!!)
    June 2010----PORS

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by bigyanks View Post
    i think we do it the worst way. i always save money to buy the flights and then we wait for free dining and book the trip. THEN we decide to start saving for the trip since we have like months to pay it off.

We do the exact same thing! Always flights first, because they want it all at once, then we wait for any specials and book the trip, down payment then every month pay a little towards it.

February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

Another thing we do is buy a Disney Card at the resort before we leave, with like $25,
    then when we come home, everytime we go to the mall and pass by the disney store we throw $20-$25 on it, by the time we leave for WDW again we have $400/$500 on it and use it for gifts, snacks, meals etc. It helps alot and dosen't break you.
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

i booked my vacation.. theres 200 i cant get back.. ( or i look at it that way) then i get my flights.. every time i get paid i write AAA a check.. but i also save change and when my bank gets full i take an cash it in.. and when i do hair for a friend and they pay me for it.. it all goes towards my trip.. when i go walking or when im shopping.. if i see a penny on the ground i stop and get it.. i know a penny alone isnt worth much.. but hey.. it all adds up
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

When we go out to eat I save the check. I then take the total and apply it to something at WDW. I ask the kids next time would you rather put this amount away and save for WDW or eat here again. Easy answer, and $50 applied to the vacation funds.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I keep one envelope with $1,200 in it at all times, for use as spending money on my trip. When I get back, I work on building it back up to that level throughout the year.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

We also have a change jar - anything smaller than a 50p piece goes in there and every so often, we change it all up at the bank and then convert to dollars for our trip. We normally manage to get all our spending money together in this way - it's amazing how much you can save withouth even really trying!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I almost forgot about this one...I work in a grocery and I manage the front end, so when I break down the drawers at night I keep my eyes peeled for valuable coins! I find all kinds of neat coins people just spend that are worth more than they think. I got about $28 a couple weeks ago for some quarters and a half dollar. Needless to say that money is going to take me to disney.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

bigyanks is offline C-Ticket Holder

i just got the Disney visa card, man those points will take forever to accumulate anything worth cashing in. in 1 month we got 7 points. but we also decided to have to separate piggy banks to see who can save the most change up. but i cheat cuz i decided to put $40 worth of quarters every week, lol. think i just put the bills will make it easier to carry at the end.
    1989 - 1998 - Off Property
    August 2006 - Off Property
    May 2008 - Saratoga Springs
    Dec. 2008 - All Star Movies - Engaged
    Dec. 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
    Dec. 2010 - Bay Lake Tower (new dvc members)
    August 2011 - Beach Club Villas
    Disney Dream Cruise
    September 2011 - Animal Kingdom Villas

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast