Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss WDW on a budget - tricks and hints in the Vacation Planning forums; This may be a bit more money the first time you go but If you go every year for 5 days then get the 10 day no Expiration tickets instead ...
    wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

Re: WDW on a budget - tricks and hints

This may be a bit more money the first time you go but If you go every year for 5 days then get the 10 day no Expiration tickets instead of buying the Magic Your Way tickets that expiration 14 days after the first use. S your next trip you don't have to buy tickets unless you are going for more days then you have on the ticket from last time. We also have breakfast in our hotel. Also if you don't live on the other side of the world/country try and drive. With gas price it may be cheeper to fly now a days. But driving from OH to FL is so cool going in the mountains, but it does add days to your trip if you are taking your kids our of school.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyGuy View Post
    Also, what we do is buy a Disney Gift card at the Mall for $20, then every time we go to the mall throughout the year we bring it and put $10 or $20 on it, small enough for us not to really feel it. By the time we go to Disney we usually have about $350 on it, and thats our own dining plan, we use it for every meal or snacks and never have to worry about using our spendinmg money, by the end of the trip sometimes we have $40 or $50 left over for last minute items in the gift shop, photo albums, postcards, toys etc.
    Rick
    Great idea. We just started doing this for our fall trip.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

My 2 biggest saving tools
    1. Value resort
    2. NO parkhopper option.

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder

We are going to do that too this year, now that our daughter just hit the 3yr mark. Now we are paying for her meals and park passes. So we figured a value resort and no hopper, just a base. Its hard to get everything in like we used to, hitting two or three parks, at a very fast pace.
    I kind of like the slowing down thing and enjoying the "Little" things with my daughter now. Besides as we get older we slow down........,
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We are staying at a value resort, but I had to get the Park Hopper option. We move around quite a bit tosee the different shows and things. We DID get to take advantage of the free dining package though!!

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

coconutcrusher is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    I haven't done this yet, but I'll do it in November when I head to The World. Rather than buying something to drink when I get thirsty, I'm going to bring the little "powder packets" of Propel or Crystal Light with me. Then, I can have something tasty to drink for the cost of a box of powder packets (and a bottle to put water into), rather than at $2.5 a hit (or whatever it is).
    Bringing nalgenes and filling them up with the ice water from the counter service locations was the best idea we had on our last trip. Not only did we save money not purchasing drinks - but we stayed hydrated, which was important because we were running in the Tower of Terror 13k.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Our last summer trip to WDW back in July of '07, I probably saved us more than $100 drinking free ice water from CS eateries!
    Everyone else had to have their soft drinks...!

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

This past trip I found one of the cheapest gifts. In the China showcase in Epcott, I found Chinese harmonicas for $4.00 and $6.00.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by edwardsfire View Post
    My 2 biggest saving tools
    1. Value resort
    2. NO parkhopper option.
    Totally agree with the No parkhopper, this saves us a bundle not only in money but in time, we don't waste hours on park hopping. Also during the year we use our Disney rewards card and save all our rewards for our trip (think of using the card if you have a big purchase especially, but of course it only really pays when you pay it off immediately). If your looking for reasonable snacks/soda/beer and don't want to go off property try going to the Hess station (i think there are 2 of them on property), their stuff is alot cheaper then the resorts. Also really think twice before you buy that Goofy hat, will you really wear it again?? Just try to minimize impulse buying.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    Totally agree with the No parkhopper, this saves us a bundle not only in money but in time, we don't waste hours on park hopping. Also during the year we use our Disney rewards card and save all our rewards for our trip (think of using the card if you have a big purchase especially, but of course it only really pays when you pay it off immediately). If your looking for reasonable snacks/soda/beer and don't want to go off property try going to the Hess station (i think there are 2 of them on property), their stuff is alot cheaper then the resorts. Also really think twice before you buy that Goofy hat, will you really wear it again?? Just try to minimize impulse buying.
    i agree with everything u say.. when i buy take home gifts i get tshirts and sweatshirts because those are things i know i will use and wear out

we dont use the parkhopper at all either.. i like stayin in one park all day..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

My girlfriend and I save all of our change in a coin counting jar then when we get around $100 we go to the bank and cash it all in. After that we go to a Giant Eagle grocery store where when you buy Disney gift cards you get double gas points. So we slowly save up about $400 a trip in change so the money really is not missed, and we save money on our gas.

We plan on using that money for our families souvenirs.
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

I generally rent a car either way.. so there's not an additional cost for me there (I often go visit family in the area, plus I am not a fan of Disney transport ) So I find that I can go more often and stay longer if I don't stay at Disney hotels. (I also generally have a nicer room )

Also, check out the Swan/Dolphin. I just booked two nights there for around $110 each night. The same two nights at a Disney "Deluxe" $274 EACH! So yes, I have to pay a resort fee and parking, but.... LOL! I am pretty sure that's less then $174 a night! (And that was the cheapest "Deluxe" AK . An Epcot resort "Deluxe" was $340 a night and having stayed there, that's a rip off! ) Even if I had spent $40 or so taking a cab I would still be ahead and if you stay more then two nights it's a no brainer.

I also save my coins during the year and use them as part of my Food and Wine eating spree

I also have invested in an Owner's Locker. Yes, it costs some money but I never check luggage (Savings for a lot of us) and I have supplies that I don't have to pay Disney pricing for. I replinish every so often so if there is a short trip I don't need a car for then I am good to go with things like band aids, sun block, hairspray, a REAL hairdryer, good tea bags, etc....

I would recommend Garden Grocer or one of the other services over having Disney stock your DVC villa, they stock it from the their store... Very limited selection and correspondinly high prices (something like $12 for a 6 pack of Miller Lite LOL!) I have friends who have used Garden Grocer and had great success. For my last trip I rented a car for one day. Picked it up at National dropped it at the Dolphin. Cost $30 or so, but I was able to get food etc.... Well worth it. (Also took my friend to get prescriptions refilled for a sick family member)

I don't buy the T-shirts much anymore. Found I didn't wear them So every so often I treat myself to something nice I REALLY want. For example, I have the 35th Annivesary Big Fig in here. Would rather have that then 10 t-shirts
    Last edited by Carolla; 07-31-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Doombuggy13 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Re: WDW on a budget - tricks and hints

I know some people are not fans, but the standard dining plan saves money! If you do 1 sitdown meal you will usually breakeven any more and you save money.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy&Tayen View Post
    i agree with everything u say.. when i buy take home gifts i get tshirts and sweatshirts because those are things i know i will use and wear out

we dont use the parkhopper at all either.. i like stayin in one park all day..
    i went against myself and bought the hopper.. where were only going to be there a few days i wanna be able to change parks if i want..
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Carolla is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Doombuggy13 View Post
    I know some people are not fans, but the standard dining plan saves money! If you do 1 sitdown meal you will usually breakeven any more and you save money.
    I have done the math and it costs me money....

You MUST compare it to how you would NORMALLY eat to make that call, not "what we eat if Disney gives it to us"

For example, I have NEVER EVER ordered a desert at a counter service. Can't see me needing one.

I also only do a TS meal every few days, once again too much food and when I do I generally don't want the deserts.

So it would cost me money and have me eating more food then I want to "get my money's worth" IMHO that's a waste!

(And watch the plan, the British tour companies are showing some major changes for 2011, not sure if they are correct, but it's going to hard to see how it saves money if they are!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast