Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss Pop Century changes? in the Vacation Planning forums; I went to pop century in 2005 and they were doing some building... has there been any changes to that property since then? Also, when we were there some worker ...
    LaBretonne2002 is offline E-Ticket Holder

Question Pop Century changes?

I went to pop century in 2005 and they were doing some building... has there been any changes to that property since then? Also, when we were there some worker asked me if I wanted to dance. Honestly, I thought she was crazy at first then EVERYONE of the workers stopped what they were doing and did the twist. Does that happen often? Are there set times? I thought it was amazing!

Has the gift shop changed? Do they still have pop century branded items like tshirts or towels? I NEVER see them on ebay...

Also, when you book a vacation package for pop century, do you still get a free lanyard and pin like I did then?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by LaBretonne2002 View Post
    I went to pop century in 2005 and they were doing some building... has there been any changes to that property since then?
    No, they have not started construction back up on the other side of the lake.

Also, when we were there some worker asked me if I wanted to dance. Honestly, I thought she was crazy at first then EVERYONE of the workers stopped what they were doing and did the twist. Does that happen often? Are there set times? I thought it was amazing!
    Allears.net has tons of info on Pop Century here
    Pop Century Resort Fact Sheet

Has the gift shop changed? Do they still have pop century branded items like tshirts or towels? I NEVER see them on ebay...
    I don't think so.. when I was there they had very little Pop Century items that I can remember...I don't remember any of the values having tons of items items with the hotel names on it.

Also, when you book a vacation package for pop century, do you still get a free lanyard and pin like I did then?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    You must have gotten lucky, because I've never gotten a lanyard.

Did the new buildings open yet? When I was there, they only had buildings like 50s and later. Did Disney build any newer buildings?

Yea, with the package we purchased in 2004, we got a lanyard and 2 pins, then had a choice between a poster or gift certificate to Planet Hollywood.

I saw a nice ty-dyed tshirt at pop century and should have gotten it when I was there but money was tight... oh well... maybe next time.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Nope the Legendary years section is still rotting away across the lake. It's kind of sad to see.

I love it when the CM's dance at the Food Court. They do the twist in the morning, but they also do the Hustle at Lunch I believe. I'm not sure if or what they do for dinner, but I think it adds a fun touch.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    I didn't see any PC branded items when I was there, except for a postcard.

As far as the legendary years, I was gonna ask this after being down there. I didn't get a chance to ask a CM and I didn't even know if they would tell me, but does anybody know why they stopped construction? I took a few pics of the site and it's just pathetic. It seems like it could have been awesome, but I just don't get it.

We went all the way down the "Generation Gap" bridge and I looked through all the trees and plants that are at the end and it's depressing. I can't believe that Disney would just leave that there like that. And, the way they closed off the bridge looks pretty permanent.

I took a few pictures when I was down there cuz I wasn't sure if anything had changed (I was never there before), but I'm assuming that's a no. It's a shame to see an unpainted lobby with the big years attached to it and broken railings among other things on the few buildings they did construct.
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

That's a shame... It's not because they ran out of money. I was hoping that it would be completed when we went down. I guess not.

Yeah, it's really upsetting to see cuz you know that side would have been awesome, too! When are you going down there?

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    It was largely because Disney had built so much and the economy slowed down, there was less demand for the rooms and they slowed down the construction. Then 9/11 happened and tourism slowed dramatically, so the project was put on hold. Then Eisner left. Supposedly they are looking at either continuing the construction and eventually finishing them as family suites, but that is just rumor right now.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I've stayed at Pop Century three times. I've never really noticed much Pop Century merchandise, but I've seen CMs do the twist EVERY morning when I hit Everything Pop! for breakfast! (I typically use EMHs, so I'm probably in the cafe around...7?)

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    We stayed there in 05 and they had tee shirts and stuff like that with their logo on it. I thought for sure the other buildings would have been done by now, thats a shame for them to just be have done and sitting empty. I didn't know the they stopped building them.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    I've stayed at Pop Century three times. I've never really noticed much Pop Century merchandise, but I've seen CMs do the twist EVERY morning when I hit Everything Pop! for breakfast! (I typically use EMHs, so I'm probably in the cafe around...7?)
    I didn't know that they did this! Probably because me and my mom woke up a little bit later, but had the EMHs at night so we never got to see this. I love the little extras like that that make a vacation special. It's good to know though, cuz we might be going back, so it's definitely something I'll look for!

The one afternoon we were there there were people outside the lobby hula-hooping so I tried, but I couldn't do it to save my life! It was quite entertaining to watch, though! lol

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    And here are some of the good and ugly pictures from Hill's site:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jeff_l...4/11/1785.aspx

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    In the 70's area they host twister games!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    In the 70's area they host twister games!
    And I thought it was just there for show or for kids to play around on....very cool! They think of so much stuff, I love it!

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Thats so sad to see those buildings just sitting there in the article.
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast