Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss WDW Refillable resort mugs in the Vacation Planning forums; Not trying to tell you my morals, or to tell you what I think of your morals ... I just want to investigate, I'm just curious. A lot of the ...
    CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Not trying to tell you my morals, or to tell you what I think of your morals ... I just want to investigate, I'm just curious.

A lot of the justification for reusing reillable mugs against the clearly stated rules is that Disney makes a lot of money on a very very inexpensive product.

So here's my question ...

What if the food courts started selling penny candy? You know, individually-wrapped pieces of candy that, when purchased, cost one cent each.

Would it be OK to take one piece of that candy without paying for it? Would you let your kids take one piece of candy at each meal without paying for it?

Please, please, let's TALK rather than argue. I'm really curious to see how y'all answer this question.

Thank you.
    -- Eric

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I have some from last year but I won't be bringing them. I tend to "follow" the rules. I have some from other trips but I don't bring those either. I just don't do it.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I don't like penny candy.

GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'll admit, I've done this in the past. But, did want to add my most recent experience to this thread. I have a Pop Century Mug from a couple years ago and took it with me in September. I only used if a couple times as it was more trouble than it was worth (and the coffee at Everything Pop is swill). But, one morning, I was in line to buy my breakfast. I had my empty mug in hand and the CM at the register threw a big hissy fit that I was not allowed to reuse that mug - she actually refused to ring me up. I stood firm that she had no right to do that and she eventually relented. But, it was an embarassing and uncomfortable experience.

This has long been a very controversial subject on various message boards. IMHO, I would not be surprised to see them cracking down on abuse of the official policy after the first of the year. They will probably have a new style for the WWYC campaign and could easily incorporate a permanent bar code - one tied to your KTTW card showing your check out date.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I just returned from a 3 day trip to All-Star Music and my trusty cup didn't fail me. Coffee for me & my wife and hot chocolate for the kiddies. I couldn't believe the new mugs now cost $12.49!! I have saved hundreds of dollars...bwaa ha ha ha!!

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I agree about getting the resort mugs. I heard they went up in price. But, when you really look at the cost especially if your down there a week you can save alot.
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 AKLJ & BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I just returned from a 3 day trip to All-Star Music and my trusty cup didn't fail me. Coffee for me & my wife and hot chocolate for the kiddies. I couldn't believe the new mugs now cost $12.49!! I have saved hundreds of dollars...bwaa ha ha ha!!
    So when "the kiddies" learn from you that it's okay to steal as long as you are sure you can get away with it, I hope you will be proud and see them as resourceful. At least that would be consistent. If you come down on them for it, it would make you a hypocrite.
    -- Eric

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    and we all cry when Disney raises prices. The continued re-use of cups purchased years ago is one reason why they have to raise prices!
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy View Post
    The continued re-use of cups purchased years ago is one reason why they have to raise prices!

Yup; it's all my fault.

tink2thecore is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Not trying to tell you my morals, or to tell you what I think of your morals ... I just want to investigate, I'm just curious.

A lot of the justification for reusing reillable mugs against the clearly stated rules is that Disney makes a lot of money on a very very inexpensive product.

So here's my question ...

What if the food courts started selling penny candy? You know, individually-wrapped pieces of candy that, when purchased, cost one cent each.

Would it be OK to take one piece of that candy without paying for it? Would you let your kids take one piece of candy at each meal without paying for it?

Please, please, let's TALK rather than argue. I'm really curious to see how y'all answer this question.

Thank you.

I understand where you are coming from, but one 16 oz cup of coke actually costs about $.0000001. Is it not also stealing to charge $6 for that 16 oz cup because you are the ONLY place on property to buy????

Now personally I have not done this, but when Epcot had those really cool reusable globe mugs, we brought them every year and refilled them for $1...then Disney discontinued the program....WHY?? Because they made a greater profit in those paper fill up the land fill cups than on a refillable mug that acutally helped the planet. Just food for thought.
    If you can Dream it, the you can do it!

My only hope is that we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse

Disney 2009 Part Two: 3 months 15 days.... Cannot wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by tink2thecore View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but one 16 oz cup of coke actually costs about $.0000001. Is it not also stealing to charge $6 for that 16 oz cup because you are the ONLY place on property to buy????

Now personally I have not done this, but when Epcot had those really cool reusable globe mugs, we brought them every year and refilled them for $1...then Disney discontinued the program....WHY?? Because they made a greater profit in those paper fill up the land fill cups than on a refillable mug that acutally helped the planet. Just food for thought.
    Good! I like respectable dialog. Let's please continue in that spirit!

Your stated reasoning still comes down to money. No matter what it costs them, they are charging for it, and you are talking about taking a product that a business is lawfully selling. Personally, I can't justify theft because it's a tiny theft.

What about the penny candy example? What if the penny candy cost them one one-hundreth of a cent? Would it be okay for your kids to take one?

As for your question about isn't it stealing when they charge so much for it. First of all, NO. If I steal something from you, it is without your permission. If I voluntarily pay you money, you are not stealing from me. It is truly voluntary. I don't NEED to buy a soft drink. I have two options at Disney resorts ... I can bring in my own drinks into the food court, and I can also get a cup for water for free. So it's not like they're charging money to people in the desert who are dying for a drink. You as a resort guest have a choice to drink water for free, or to bring in your own drinks and paying zero to Disney.

Even though I'm a liberal Democrat, I'm also a proud American capitalist. Disney has a responsibility to its shareholders to maximize its profits. If they can find a way to increase profits, they really SHOULD do so. Now, of course, the drive for profits has to be tempered by market forces, which includes consumer opinion. If they cut so much back in the name of increasing profits to the point that customers resented it, fewer customers would spend their money at Disney and their profits would plummet. They hope that they get the right mix of charging a lot for things, but still not having the villagers revolt and storm the Castle with torches.

So again, I do very much appreciate your civil response, and I hope to hear back from you. But honestly, I just can't stomach the idea that stealing a teeny tiny miniscule amount of anything is okay. Everyone will do what their conscience dictates, and I'm not saying what anyone else should do. But for me, it's a morals and ethics thing ... I just can't teach my kids that stealing a product for sale that costs the seller very very very very very little is OK.

Again, I'm not telling others what they should do, I'm just explaining my own thought process, to help you understand why I think what I think. I used to think differently. But from the moment I realized that my kids are sponges who pick up everything I do and everything I say, I took a good hard look at my actions and words, and realized, FOR ME, that I need to follow a certain ethical standard and above all else that I must not be a hypocrite (showing my kids that it's okay to steal something that has very very little monetary value, but then at another time telling them they did something wrong that was similar, just a higher dollar amount).
    Last edited by CleveRocks; 01-20-2009 at 05:28 PM.
    -- Eric

Excellent points. As I said before, I don't personally do this, but as a poor just out of college with $200 per month due to the loans, I understand why people would do it.
    I would like to know why a company that is so involved with green initiatives would be more willing to sell paper cups that fill land fills than refillable cups. I have never seen these resort mugs b/c I stay with my parents at a timeshare nearby.

I guess what I am saying is I wouldn't do it, but I understand why someone would....

My only hope is that we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse

Quote Originally Posted by tink2thecore View Post
    I would like to know why a company that is so involved with green initiatives would be more willing to sell paper cups that fill land fills than refillable cups...
    I think, like most companies, the green initiatives are merely a means of getting positive publicity. When it comes to earning dollars or being green earning dollars will usually win.

But this could do both...that's what I don't understand.

Grants_mom is offline A-Ticket holder
    Ok so here is my question or questions after reading all this....mind you this may will be our 1st trip since i was like 10 (so that will be 22 years) and I am new to all the updates since then.

1 - you can get a refillable mug for $12.95 at your resort and get refills for your stay at your resort correct?
    2 - does disney have something like a mug for the 4 parks that you could pay say $25 for and get free refills at the parks/and resort? Would that make since or would they loose to much money there? Silly one there I know....
    Molly
    Mom to 1 great Red headed little boy and wife to 1 wonderful husband!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast