Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss Bringing Food in the Vacation Planning forums; I plan on bringing food down to Disney for our trip in a couple of weeks. We're staying in a DVC suite so we have a little kitchenette with a ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Bringing Food

I plan on bringing food down to Disney for our trip in a couple of weeks. We're staying in a DVC suite so we have a little kitchenette with a mini-frig, microwave, toaster, and coffee maker. I plan on bringing water bottles, snack bars, coffee, bagles, cereal, other small snacks. I am planning on throwing some snacks in my purse for the parks, and eating breakfast in the room. What are some other things that you would recommend packing. We are flying down so I'm packing these things in my checked luggage since we won't have a car to go to the store once we're down there. I'm assuming we can buy a half a gallon of milk and cream cheese and stuff at the hotel right? Any other tips I should know about?
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Re: Bringing Food

We have always just filled a backpack with all kinds of snacks and refillable water bottles and drink powder packets and stuff like that. We take turns carrying it and it's never really that heavy anyway, but sure saves alot of money and time waiting in lines for snacks.
    Also, the last time we went with the kiddos we had a family suite at ASM and we kept milk, etc. that we purchased (at slightly elevated prices from the resort shop ) in the mini fridge. It all worked out really well for us!

mrklig is offline B-Ticket Holder

The cereal bars that they sell are great.
    Owner at Bay Lake Towers!

Next Trip: July 15-19 - Adults Only Trip with my lovely wife

Disney Fantasy (1st Fantasy) April 2014

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I always buy some sort of nuts in bulk like almonds (as long as there are no allergies in your family) and portion them into little baggies. I find at since they're protein they fill us up for longer than most other snacks (that you eat and are hungry again 15 minutes later :P). I guess something like trail mix would be similar as well.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We brought those cereal packs for the kids and oatmeal as well. We used the hot water from the coffee maker we brought to mix the oatmeal. We were staying at Pop Century where they didn't have coffee makers in the rooms. We also brought a back pack and had snacks, water, etc. for the parks. It all worked out well.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Oh, I forgot about oatmeal. Good call. Does anyone know what else the kitchenette at a DVC resort includes (plates, bowls, cups?)
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

Usually they do come with the necessities, but give 'em a call to be sure.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

There is a couple of grocery stores and a Super Walmart nearby. We stocked up on fruit, milk, etc when we arrived. Ate breakfast in the room, then did counter service at lunch, then table service at night. It was great!

Walt Disney

kentgurgie is offline B-Ticket Holder

@ Firemedic that is what we do as well! BFast in the room saves time and money! Sometimes the counter Bfast at the resorts are sooo busy you miss out on getting to the parks early.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Rent a car for the day. Pick it up at the airport and return it either that day or within 24 hours right at the car care center near the TTC. They have a free shuttle for the driver to take you back to your hotel, and you won't have luggage to drag back. The $40 or so you'll spend on the car (cheaper, if you can get a good one-day deal) will be well-worth the hassle of not having to pack food in your luggage. There are a few super markets, Target and WalMart stores in the area to buy your food. That's what I do. I couldn't see packing boxes of cereal, cans of soup, etc in my suitcase!
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Be11e View Post
    Oh, I forgot about oatmeal. Good call. Does anyone know what else the kitchenette at a DVC resort includes (plates, bowls, cups?)
    Are you staying in a one-bedroom or a studio? If it's a one bedroom, you get a full kitchen with a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, stove/oven, etc. Plus all the pots, pans, cups, bowls, silverware, utensiles, etc you'll need for your stay. If it's a studio, then I don't remember what they offer. I only stayed in one once, and it's been a one or two bedroom suites every other time.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

We are staying in a suite.
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort