Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Money Saving Tips / Budgeting Discuss Craziest Thing You've Done to Go in the Vacation Planning forums; We all have our different ways of saving up money to go to WDW or specific times we go based on incoming funds (i.e. tax returns). Today I got to ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Craziest Thing You've Done to Go

We all have our different ways of saving up money to go to WDW or specific times we go based on incoming funds (i.e. tax returns). Today I got to thinking though and realized there's probably some pretty crazy things I'd consider doing to be able to make another trip (when funds are low/non-existent). It got me wondering... what's the craziest thing you've done to be able to afford a trip?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Re: Craziest Thing You've Done to Go

My personal answer to this question is the fact that I took a withdrawal (not a loan - a penalized by the Federal Gov't withdrawal) from my 401k and used 100% of it to make another trip. Sadly, I'd probably do it again too.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Wow Jenn, that is crazy. I hope neither Dave Ramsey or Clark Howard are members here, you'd really get an earful from them.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

We sold a kid once.
    That's why y'all've never heard of our 4th child...who isn't ours anymore.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    we sold a kid once.
    :-d
    lol!!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Never thought about selling one of the kids but I have a buddy who would have sold his wife at a great price after getting back from WDW. He cashed out his 401K to go which I found out about after he lost his house to foreclosure. I suggested he cash out the 401k to save his home then he told me it was all gone. Its a long story but suffice it to say the 401k money was used to replace the money he had saved up to use that his wife had already spent. Yup, she spent their Disney money weeks before they left. They were going to do a Time Share package and he had already paid for it. It was $700. She decided she didn't want to meet the time share visit requirements so he had to come up with money to cover a hotel and park tickets. The $700 was non refundable.

He called me from Georgia to wire him money to replace a blown out tire. He rolled into Ohio with $20 in his pocket.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

YIKES! Ok yeah I made a dumb move taking the 401k money but I didn't go that far.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Well, I'm just about to go off on my fourth solo trip to a Disney resort - so I guess you could say leaving my husband at home to save money on the airfare/hotel. LOL.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

The worst part of my friend's story is he lost his house a year later. I had no idea he had cashed out his 401K for his trip so I was talking to him about the house. All I knew was his wfe booked tons of character meals and never budgeted for anything on their trip. We were talking about the options to save his house and I suggested he use his 401K. That's when he told me about the vacation fiasco.

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

We sold a kid once.
    i got sold by my parents to go on a trip i found on the plane and thay said oh great this guy.

Timmy? Is...is that you?!?!?!

Nice try. This kid woulda' been older.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

so funny

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Re: Craziest Thing You've Done to Go

The craziest thing I've done? I watched 40 hours of a Live WDWRadio broadcast, entered the trivia contest, and won! We took the trip the second week of January 2012. It was AMAZING!!
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

We sold a kid once.
    OK, Mickeytoo, is this you???

Delaware Mom Pleads Guilty Of Selling Newborn For Disney Trip.

Delaware mom Bridget Wismer has pled guilty of selling her newborn son Christian for $15,000 to pay for a trip to Disney World. The baby’s intended buyer, John Gavaghan, has also pleaded guilty.

Bridget, 34, allegedly planned to use the money paid by John, 55, to take her other two children to the theme park before her arrest last October, according to a Daily Mail report.
    She pleaded guilty to the sale but also that she was mentally ill when she falsified her one-month-old’s birth certificate to list John as the boy’s father. It is a felony to falsify that information.
    Bridget and John were arrested after Bridget’s grandmother informed authorities that baby Christian was sold to John and his longtime partner, Antonio. Authorities were tipped that Bridget was trying to sell the baby because she did not want it and needed money for a trip to Disney World.
    Bridget has said that John is a friend who offered to help when she found herself pregnant and unwilling to get an abortion. “I was just waiting for a miracle,” after she accepted John’s offer to help. “I was so positive about what I was doing.”
    They could face up to five years in prison and a fine up to $100,000 when they will be sentenced in August.

I didn't want to post a link to it because I don't trust the website's content

OK, OK. So we've sold 2 kids...so far. Big deal.

~ you know who

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast