Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Mouse | Tunes Discuss Gummi Bears - a little clearification in the Site News and Information forums; Nathan, Nathan, Nathan--- Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Gummi Bears as well, but no, they really weren't responsible for the emergence of kids afternoon programming in ...
    jeffcot is offline B-Ticket Holder

Gummi Bears - a little clearification

Nathan, Nathan, Nathan---

Now don't get me wrong, I really like the Gummi Bears as well, but no, they really weren't responsible for the emergence of kids afternoon programming in the late 1980s.

Along with the Wuzzles, another Disney-produced show, Gummi Bears was originally a Saturday morning network show. Both debuted in September of 1985, Wuzzles on CBS, Gummi Bears on NBC.

Gummi Bears was succesful in that venue. It ran for four seasons on NBC and two more on ABC.

Disney entered late afternoon programming in 1987 with Ducktales. Chip and Dales's Rescue Rangers arrived in 1989. In 1990, the Disney Afternoon was created as a two hour block of programs. Talespin was added, and reruns of Gummi Bears were used to fill out the final half hour. Goof Troop replaced it the following year. Gummi Bears only spent that one year in the afternoon block.

Gummi Bears was an important move for Disney. Its success lead the way for the company to produce more childrens televsion shows which in turn laid the groundwork for the Toon Disney channel.

However, the emergence of kids afternoon programming is largely remembered for the Disney Afternoon ultimately doing battle with Spielberg produced shows like Tiny Toons Adventures and Animaniacs.

Jeff
    Jeff Pepper
    Author of 2719 Hyperion
    Disney World Trivia.com and WDW Radio Show Contributor

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I knew I liked this guy!

(Go check out his blog! VERY cool!!)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    Thank you for the great information. This is the blurb on Wikipedia I was talking about on last weeks show:

The Adventures of the Gummi Bears was Disney's first foray into television animation. At the time of its first premiere, very few, if any, animated television series were on par with Gummi Bears' production values. It even exceeded the quality of much Japanese animation made for TV at the time. Gummi Bears is often credited by animators and animation historians as having helped jump start the massive boom of television animation in the late 1980s all through the 1990s.
    Gummi Bears also became the forerunner for Disney's famous Disney Afternoon timeslot, which gave way to classics such as DuckTales, Darkwing Duck, Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers, TaleSpin, and Gargoyles. Although shows created in its wake such as the above mentioned exceeded Gummi Bear's budget and length, it is often credited as the sort of prototype to all of the subsequent animation which followed it, while DuckTales really jump started the trend. Nevertheless, it was a gamble which paid off tremendously in the long run.
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

pitmansparky is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Just bought the gummi bears for my 5 year old son. I forgot how great that show was.
    Matt (pitmansparky)

We're gonna cruise the dream!

Why can't WDW be closer to Canada?

GrmGrnningGhost is offline Friends Call Me Snow Miser...
    I just love the Gummi Bears and all of the old Disney Channel cartoons. Gummi bears was by far my favorite. I would watch it all the time at my gradmoms house (she was the nly one with Disncey Channel at the time). Those shows helped make me into the big Disney fan I am today
    Josh

The happy haunts have received your simpathetic vibrations, and are begining to materialize.They're assembling for a swinging wake,and they will be expecting me.I will see you all a little later

I'm Mister White Christmas
    I'm Mister Snow
    I'm Mister Icicle
    I'm Mister Ten Below
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

BeastlyKingdom? is offline finally in college... hello disney college program
    Wikipedia isnt always correct nathan. i failed a paper once because i got all my info off of it and its not always true because random ppl can go in and change things up
    the only 18 year old boy who like disney more than girls......... nvm disney is a close 2nd

I think back on why i am so strange now i know why .... I blame Disney but i still love it

" we have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment."
    - walt disney

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I just saw the season 1-3 in a box set at Target that what Im getting for Christmas WOOT for me. I also have Ducktales season one on dvd. I loved the Disney afternoon they dont make them kinda of cartoons anymore.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I hate the new cartoons.
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by BeastlyKingdom? View Post
    Wikipedia isnt always correct nathan. i failed a paper once because i got all my info off of it and its not always true because random ppl can go in and change things up
    I agree, it just backed up information I received from Jim Magon and other that where involved with the Disney Afternoon
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    I remember seeing the show on TV when I was little (2nd grade?). One time when some "adults" were talking about it on a group trip, I joined in because I had seen it too and loved it. They just told me that I could not have, because I was too young. I miss Tail Spin as well...will it ever be on DVD?

Tale Spin is also on DVD! Here is a complete list of all Disney Afternoon DVDs
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose

Nathan! You just made my day!!!! Thanks!!!!

No problem. Glad I could help!
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose

My christmas idea list had just been updated...lol