Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss What editing program to use with video? in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; I'm still learning to use my new video camera, but I wanted to check with more experienced photographers to find out what editing programs you prefer to use. I eventually ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

What editing program to use with video?

I'm still learning to use my new video camera, but I wanted to check with more experienced photographers to find out what editing programs you prefer to use. I eventually hope to be able to add titles and maybe music to my clips. It took me most of the day to get my practice clips form AK into my computer so I could save it to a DVD. I have a Samsung SC -DX103.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

glistensound2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Video Editing Programs

Hey Mini-V,

Depends on:
    1. your budget
    2. how easy to use you want the program to be
    3. how powerful you want the program to be
    4. who you plan to share your videos with and how

For simple, quick non-professional movies you could use the free Windows Movie Maker or Apple's iMovie. They are great when you want to get something basic done in a short amount of time. You can post the output to YouTube or your Web site, etc.

For more options with a professional edge (still affordable) I'd recommend Adobe Premiere Elements. You can try it free for 30 days. Movie editing software | Adobe Premiere Elements 7

I use Adobe Premiere Pro which is quite a bit more complex with quite a learning curve but you can do incredible things with it when you use it in conjunction with other programs like After Effects and Photoshop. video editing software, digital video editing | Adobe Premiere Pro CS4

There are other programs out there, but I'd recommend looking into Adobe Premiere Elements.
    -Mark,
    Fine Art Photographer & Digital Storyteller
    Vacation Photo to Canvas Prints
    FinePhotoGraphics.com

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    For a first time user, I'd suggest using either Windows Movie Maker (which comes free with most computers nowadays!) or Pinnacle Studio (which is fairly cheap, about $100...it actually might be even less now)

I'd definitely agree with Glistensound about Premiere Elements...it's like Premiere Pro, without all the bells and whistles, but still good.

And for hardcore, go with Premiere Pro, Edius, or Final Cut!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't plan to put anything on Youtube unless I wanted to share it with family and friends. I'm still trying to figure out the basics with the camera itself. I spent a great deal of time trying to delete some practice clips only to find out that I'd formatted the disk in digital instead of VR; the only format that will allow me to delete clips from the camera. I'm still tying to figure out the phenomenon that if you are taking still pictures, my subject is in constant motion. Now that I'm video taking, they stand still like I have a shot gun aimed at them. :
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I'm still learning to use my new video camera, but I wanted to check with more experienced photographers to find out what editing programs you prefer to use. I eventually hope to be able to add titles and maybe music to my clips. It took me most of the day to get my practice clips form AK into my computer so I could save it to a DVD. I have a Samsung SC -DX103.
    I use Pinnacle Studio. It's a bit pricey, but you can usually get an earlier-than-the-latest version at a discount if you check out online retailers like buy.com or Amazon. It's an imperfect program to be sure, and it's online user community in their support forums are mainly people complaining about problems they've had -- but they all continue to use it.

The very first project I tried on it, just playing around really, was to convert a VHS tape of my family's last vacation to WDW in 1992 onto DVD. In addition to titles and effects and all that other nifty stuff the program can do, you can also apply simpler transforms to individual clips, such as color correction and adjustment of bright/contrast.

Using these features, I was able to take some dark clips from the original video, such as clips shot in dark rides, or at night, or inside the seas pavilion at Epcot, and bring out detail that was not visible to the naked eye on the original video. You may or may not be able to do similar things with some of the cheaper packages, but this is what sold me on Pinnacle.

Note that it is a resource hog. I don't know what kind of hardware you're running, but I've got a roughly 4 year old PC with 1GB of RAM, and to render a single DVD takes several hours. I usually let it run overnight.