Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss I still can't figure this out! in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; I think it's a good effect but it's too late for my own kids to enjoy it. Even when I was young, I never got a charge out of costumed ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: I still can't figure this out!

I think it's a good effect but it's too late for my own kids to enjoy it. Even when I was young, I never got a charge out of costumed characters so it means nothing to me personally. I could see how kids would like it though, and it makes more sense to me to wait in line for something that can interact with you rather than just nod and gesture. I never understood the whole autograph thing, though. Do kids really think it's the "real" Mickey Mouse's autograph?
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Do kids really think it's the "real" Mickey Mouse's autograph?
    I think there is a brief period in a child's life in which they believe that he really is Mickey Mouse, but I think the notion of him being the Mickey Mouse is slightly altered in 2011 from where it was in 1955. Kids can be too young as to not even realize what is going on when they're getting his autograph. In otherwords, they don't realize that it's the Mickey Mouse they have seen in cartoons. They can be just old enough, also, to have a suspicion that he isn't Mickey Mouse. They're just old enough to start putting 2 and 2 together. "If Mickey's a drawn cartoon character, how can he be standing in front of me?" Where these new talking heads can play a slight factor in is the kids who are just on the cusp of being suspicious. If he didn't talk, then they'd know he's fake, but since he now blinks and talks to me, he's gotta be real! It is partially this reason as well that I think that the princesses are more popular in the parks. As for us with Peter Pan syndrome, I'm excited that I can finally (slightly) justify waiting in a line to see a Mickey that will now talk to me. A lot of the fun with meeting characters is being able to converse and tell inside jokes with them. It was always kind of awkward meeting a character with a head because you never know when to take the picture, what to say, what they're trying to do, etc.

That reason that I believe this has changed from 1955 is because kids don't see him on TV every night or every Saturday anymore. Heck, some people think Walt Disney wasn't even a real person anymore. They put him in the category of a Betty Crocker. Just a stage name used to endorse products. That reason is the reason why Diane Miller started the WDFM in San Francisco. The reason that it's in San Francisco is unfortunate because it is due to the fact that she wants it to be disassociated with the WDC. Tangent aside, kids see live action shows like "Hannah Montana" and the similar garbage. So that is a real person that they can see/meet however unlikely that may be.

Does anyone remember one of the first videos we got of the new talking Mickey? It wasn't scripted as some people think this one is and you can tell that the original is not. The girl's face just absolutely illuminates with joy. She has to take a second and think about the fact that she's talking to Mickey. You can even see her initially talk slowly and stroke his arm.
    Talking Mickey

Even the adults in this one are "Oh my god"-ing this because it is that amazing.
    Talking Mickey Mouse

I think these will soon already have a Talking Face 2.0 with the eye technology that is used in Ariel's Undersea Adventure in California Adventure on Sebastian. It's also used on Buzz's face in Space Ranger Spin and Mr. Potato Head's eyes in the queue for TSMM.
    Last edited by WDW4Ever; 11-04-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    I think it's a good effect but it's too late for my own kids to enjoy it. Even when I was young, I never got a charge out of costumed characters so it means nothing to me personally. I could see how kids would like it though, and it makes more sense to me to wait in line for something that can interact with you rather than just nod and gesture. I never understood the whole autograph thing, though. Do kids really think it's the "real" Mickey Mouse's autograph?
    Agreed. Taking a picture of a local Florida HS teen in a Tigger costume makes a lot more sense than having that teen sign "Tigger" in a book.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

I'm diggin' this. Much cooler than "Mimey" Mouse.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Agreed. Taking a picture of a local Florida HS teen in a Tigger costume makes a lot more sense than having that teen sign "Tigger" in a book.
    High schoolers drivin' monorails, and NOW in Tigger costumes?
    What's the "World" comin' too?!?!?!

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post

"Have a magic day...magical...have a day!"
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Who else is going to take a job for $7/hr? Hopefully not an adult with a family to feed!
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Who else is going to take a job for $7/hr?
    Asian sweatshop children. It'd be like hittin' the lottery.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I don't think they would ever do that
    I agree. That is a long standing tradition that remained very popular through the years.

Since they moved Mickey out of his house in Toon the lines to meet Mickey have been non-existent. This will likely boost the guest count considerably.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Asian sweatshop children. It'd be like hittin' the lottery.
    From the three people I know who have worked for the Mouse, I'm not sure Disney could match the benefits package.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Who else is going to take a job for $7/hr? Hopefully not an adult with a family to feed!
    I know plenty of adults that work at Disney (both with and without families). I myself work at Disney, love it, and can't see myself working anywhere else
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

I can't see myself working for $7/hr at 35 years of age, either.

From the three people I know who have worked for the Mouse, I'm not sure Disney could match the benefits package.
    What?!?!
    Do you mean to tell me the Asian kids are gettin' less lashes per day than us CM's?!?!?!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I can't see myself working for $7/hr at 35 years of age, either.
    Well, good thing it pays more then that, then
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Well, good thing it pays more then that, then
    Really?
    MouseTrapped 2010 - part 1 of 2 - YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast