Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss 1971 WDW Construction film footage in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; well there goes the chocolate croissant. Thanks for the pictures HauntedGabe. I suppose the coffee will be better than the junk coffee I've purchased there and at other vendors. Uh, ...
    i-neighborhood Guest

Re: 1971 WDW Construction film footage

well there goes the chocolate croissant. Thanks for the pictures HauntedGabe. I suppose the coffee will be better than the junk coffee I've purchased there and at other vendors. Uh, hopefully they will prepare the coffee and not just hand me a cup of stale coffee so I can struggle with little packets of sugar. I experience the same thing the first and last time I ordered coffee at the drive-thru at a McDonalds and they handed me a stirrer and a bunch of sugar packets. I told them that's why I"m in the drive-thru because I'm driving and can't open a piping hot cup off coffee (as the warning signs point out) and then open multiple packs of sugar, pour and then stir while driving. To me that's an oxymoron and why some q-tip hasn't sued, I'm surprised.

Again, thanks for the pictures HauntedGabe. By the way, have you ever been to Disneyland?

nicholas is offline Lost in my house

Thanks Gabe! I loved that!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

And Universal is building much quicker than Disney is...
    No, they aren't.

This is a point I have challenged you on, with facts, several times and you have chosen not to address it.

They may have more projects going on in a single park, but they are not completing them any faster than anyone else. This is a mythology that I wish you'd stop perpetuating.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by i-neighborhood View Post
    Phew..But I thought they didn't let "Brands" in? Anyways, fitting and at Disney price I bet their coffee will be 10 or 15 bucks now.
    Please tell me that the bakery on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom is NOT becoming Starbucks.
    That would be AWFUL to let brands in. I mean, what would happen to Disneyland if we were to let, say, Carnation have a cafe?
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

He shoots.

He scores.

Simplicity in motion...
    supernova likes this.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    No, they aren't.

This is a point I have challenged you on, with facts, several times and you have chosen not to address it.

They may have more projects going on in a single park, but they are not completing them any faster than anyone else. This is a mythology that I wish you'd stop perpetuating.
    I do address it, you just seem to overlook the posts and claim I don't address, when anyone can see a couple of posts above I did.

Universal finished their City Walk rehab and expansion, their water area all while Disney was bulldozing for the Wharf. I still don't see a Wharf or anything that resembles a rehab of Pleasure Island.

Disney announced Avatar, Universal Harry Potter 2.0. I'll pick Harry Potter 2.0 to finish before Avatar finishes. I cannot support that Universal drags things along like Disney does. 2017 Avatar target date, I have not seen any announced project at Universal with 2017 target, only Disney.

Disney had a Grand Opening and a Ribbon cutting for an expansion that was half complete, that is how Disney FL finishes first, they just don't finish and call it a Grand Opening have a photo op. There are construction walls from one end of the FLE to the other and they broke ground almost 3 years ago.

Test Track wasn't exactly timely either. Closed mid April with reopening of late September, then November, then finally in December. But hey, they did better than originally when it opened two years after it should have.

Now you have a Bakery that just doubled its rehab time and that is just a bakery/coffee shop.

Wizarding HP Broke Ground and completed in 2.5 years. No fake ribbon cuttings for a half done project.

The expansion of HP, 2.0 started in early 2012 and is target to finish late 2013 or early 2014. At the same time Disney announced Avatar would go from a projected date of 2015 to 2017.

I see a pattern.
    i-neighborhood and nicholas like this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

i-neighborhood Guest

Now everyone, we're talking about the "happiest place on earth" not the timeliest place on earth. I will mention how they do crowd control into and out of the park sometimes. One afternoon they pulled the monorail out of the Grand Floridian, like about 20 feet, and then stopped and the monorail sat their for almost half an hour while I did suffer standing in a cab cram packed butt to butt, it was hot in there, uncomfortable and unacceptable. Most recently they stopped monorail service early or whatever that night and held us on the ferry boat for a half our so they could pack every last warm body on. But the point i'm making is they seem to have a Disney time frame for all sorts of things but its definitely geared to whatever is behind the motive of their thoughts. And to beat a dead horse, at night they now rope off a whole section of the monorail. Just don't let no one drive backwards, or forwards or something, but I'll stop I could go on about that.

With the prices they charge for anything from cotton candy to ... you would think budget certainly couldn't be an issue as far as their construction projects, but who knows. I think a lot of Tomorrowland could be updated and they could add to it, but given the discussion here, that would probably won't happen in the next 10 or 20 years, but I seriously think Tomorrowland is somewhat Yesterland. Laughin and Stitch should definitely go, go, go and be gone. Buzz, seems like a work around compared to Toy Story. That people mover takes me around the same circle, that works for Disney, but not practical. How about a functional people mover with a purpose to move people around from one side of the park to the other, or a Monorail that is an "attraction", like Disneyland, inside the Magic Kingdom. These are just pipe dreams because Disney will never do that. WDW is still running Monorails that are not the latest when you look at Disneylands Monorail, which brings me to the NEW Monorail Spiel. Why? If Disney is running S.O.P. then why not leave the spiel as it was, sounded just fine. I would rather have a New Monorail than a new spiel that lacks luster and sounds nothing like any of the previous spiels. If this is the new voice of Disney, all I can say is I'm not feelin it, but hey I don't own the park and maybe they conducted polls and other people like it.

The construction that produces the never ending revenue is the DVCs.

The congestion to/from the TTC should get a tiny bit better soon. They are building a 3rd bus loop for Guests to go to other parks by bus from there instead of heading to TTC and then transferring to a bus. Further they are making areas for double buses for large resorts. Many people drive especially to the MK because the buses often reach capacity. The monorail is just not reliable anymore. They are currently trying to install an auto drive system, still will have a Pilot but much will be taken over by the computer. We will see if that helps. It still wont be Cali. Then the rumor fired up again this year about a monorail extension to DHS for the monorail. It be great but I'm still not buying into that one, that is a ton of Disney Dollars for guests convenience and I'd be surprised if the bean counters would support that.

I kinda like Buzz. Toy is a long wait, it loads way too slow, it is fun and queue themed nicely but I'm sorry I can't believe Disney built a new attraction with such a slow load capacity guests per hour. My favorite ride like this is
    Men In Black at the "other" park.
    i-neighborhood likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

i-neighborhood Guest

I haven't been to the "other" park. Men in Black sounds interesting. I really know very little about the "other" park. My son has put in for the "other" but right now WDW Premium Passes, BG passes and LLF passes is enough. One of these days will go. I've been trying to win that trip to DL Cali but I'm not holding my breath I got caught up in the pin thing for about a second, went to every pin kiosk, store etc at every park looking for the monorail pin, duh, finally I asked, where is this pin and they said, um, only the monorail pilots get them, lol. I lost interest quick.

That's interesting, autopilot. I need to get over it already. If I want to ride up front, I"m going to have to move to Orlando and apply. I always look when we approach the Magic Kingdom at the rail going back wrapping around the Magic Kingdom that leads to the Monorails home. I've seen pictures, but it would be neat to see it for real. But again, somethings like that I will never get to see.

I did read a rumor about DHW but I never put much stock into it either for the reasons you stated.

I was talking to one of the new pilots or to be pilots one night and I was asking him why I see monorails parked out on the Epcot loop and he said that sometimes they have to sit there for hours and said that they climb down the latter, but that didn't make sense, but then again, its just nerdy curiosity, but then all my phone ring tones and notifications are different sounds from the monorail I edited for my personal enjoyment. One afternoon we were at DHS in the cartoon drawing class, and I completely didn't even think to turn my phone on silent, and it rang, "beep beep beep. Please stand clear of the doors...." The teacher and everyone were puzzled for about 2 seconds until they realized it was my phone and then everyone laughed, but I was embarrassed.

I like the way they split the trams into two sides, however, I've noticed that it seems guests wait longer to board one coming in and at night the same sometimes, but I guess that's more streamlining and cost savings.

How about Tom Sawyer's Island after dark. That would be fun.

This might be off topic, as if I haven't already, but for some reason I seem to remember when I was about 5 or 6 and we rode the Jungle Cruise, I swear I recall either real actors when you get to where the natives are or somebody was working for some reason out there or I have something confused with BG which no longer exist either, but I swear it was the Jungle Cruise.

I haven't been to the "other" park. Men in Black sounds interesting. I really know very little about the "other" park. My son has put in for the "other" but right now WDW Premium Passes, BG passes and LLF passes is enough. One of these days will go. I've been trying to win that trip to DL Cali but I'm not holding my breath I got caught up in the pin thing for about a second, went to every pin kiosk, store etc at every park looking for the monorail pin, duh, finally I asked, where is this pin and they said, um, only the monorail pilots get them, lol. I lost interest quick.

That's interesting, autopilot. I need to get over it already. If I want to ride up front, I"m going to have to move to Orlando and apply. I always look when we approach the Magic Kingdom at the rail going back wrapping around the Magic Kingdom that leads to the Monorails home. I've seen pictures, but it would be neat to see it for real. But again, somethings like that I will never get to see.

I did read a rumor about DHW but I never put much stock into it either for the reasons you stated.

I was talking to one of the new pilots or to be pilots one night and I was asking him why I see monorails parked out on the Epcot loop and he said that sometimes they have to sit there for hours and said that they climb down the latter, but that didn't make sense, but then again, its just nerdy curiosity, but then all my phone ring tones and notifications are different sounds from the monorail I edited for my personal enjoyment. One afternoon we were at DHS in the cartoon drawing class, and I completely didn't even think to turn my phone on silent, and it rang, "beep beep beep. Please stand clear of the doors...." The teacher and everyone were puzzled for about 2 seconds until they realized it was my phone and then everyone laughed, but I was embarrassed.

I like the way they split the trams into two sides, however, I've noticed that it seems guests wait longer to board one coming in and at night the same sometimes, but I guess that's more streamlining and cost savings.

How about Tom Sawyer's Island after dark. That would be fun.

This might be off topic, as if I haven't already, but for some reason I seem to remember when I was about 5 or 6 and we rode the Jungle Cruise, I swear I recall either real actors when you get to where the natives are or somebody was working for some reason out there or I have something confused with BG which no longer exist either, but I swear it was the Jungle Cruise.

I'm glad our family was able to ride up front in the monorail for years. I don't know how comfy I'd be now. My DS friend forever, since 3 months of age was a pilot that awful night. Still so thankful it wasn't him. He is no longer a pilot by choice. So haunting. I am waiting for Disney to redevelop Tom Sawyer Island, a nice chunk or real estate.

I don't know about the Jungle Cruise, I don't remember that however we have Albino Pygmy as a member and he was a skipper, he is in the service so he only pops in here and there but you can try shooting him a Private message for when he does pop in. I'm racking my brain, what does BG stand for?
    i-neighborhood likes this.

i-neighborhood Guest

I was able to ride up front when I was a young child and wanted to share the experience with my son. I'm glad your friend is okay. It was a horrible tragedy! Horrible, horrible! The family and the Disney family it must have been and be difficult. Since my intent was to share that experience with my son, I had originally planned to go that day, my birthday, so who knows we might have been riding up front since I would have been determined to ride up front, but I changed my plans and decided instead to wait about ten days later, which we did, of course by that time my son was very concerned at his age then, about riding on the monorail at all given the accident had just happen.

Yes, Tom Sawyer's Island has some extra potential. Would like to see it open at night. could be more caves and more adventurous in probably so many ways.

BG is Busch Gardens. Sorry.

Thanks, I will see if I send them a p.m. to see if they recall anything about the Jungle Cruise.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I do address it, you just seem to overlook the posts and claim I don't address, when anyone can see a couple of posts above I did.

Universal finished their City Walk rehab and expansion, their water area all while Disney was bulldozing for the Wharf. I still don't see a Wharf or anything that resembles a rehab of Pleasure Island.

Disney announced Avatar, Universal Harry Potter 2.0. I'll pick Harry Potter 2.0 to finish before Avatar finishes. I cannot support that Universal drags things along like Disney does. 2017 Avatar target date, I have not seen any announced project at Universal with 2017 target, only Disney.

Disney had a Grand Opening and a Ribbon cutting for an expansion that was half complete, that is how Disney FL finishes first, they just don't finish and call it a Grand Opening have a photo op. There are construction walls from one end of the FLE to the other and they broke ground almost 3 years ago.

Test Track wasn't exactly timely either. Closed mid April with reopening of late September, then November, then finally in December. But hey, they did better than originally when it opened two years after it should have.

Now you have a Bakery that just doubled its rehab time and that is just a bakery/coffee shop.

Wizarding HP Broke Ground and completed in 2.5 years. No fake ribbon cuttings for a half done project.

The expansion of HP, 2.0 started in early 2012 and is target to finish late 2013 or early 2014. At the same time Disney announced Avatar would go from a projected date of 2015 to 2017.

I see a pattern.
    She shoots.

She scores.

Facts in motion...
    nicholas likes this.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Quote Originally Posted by mickeytoo View Post
    She shoots.

She scores.

Facts in motion...
    Only if you are too lazy to actually do any fact checking. She depends on trained seals like yourself to applaud her opinions when it comes to subtlety trashing WDW.

A post of mine from last year (feel free to fact check this):

If you ever decide to pull your head out of your hindquarters, this would be a much easier discussion to continue.

1. Pooterville was NOT an entirely new land. It was built mostly using an already existing area of the IoA park. The Dueling Dragons had been there for years, and years. The Flying Unicorn had ALSO been there for years. Oh, and as for your blazing fast time frames for all things Universal. The Flying Unicorn is what was refurbished into the Flight of the Hippogriff. How long did it take. Two years!

2. Pooterville was announced in January 2008, and opened in June 2010. Around 30 months, using two existing attractions as the centerpiece.

3. FLE was announced September 2009, and will officially open in December. Roughly 40 months using absolutely no existing attractions. Unless you want to count moving Dumbo.

As for the time frame on Mine Coaster, since Universal hasn't built a new roller coaster since 2000, and it took them 2 years to refurbish that one, I wouldn't crow too much if I were you.
    What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 01-26-2013 at 08:14 AM.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Lazy trained seal here with a few more facts...

Again, FLE "Grand Opened" not even CLOSE to finished.
    And, what does it consist of? Pretty much a Mermaid rehash, a restaurant, a meet and greet, a kiddie wet area, one more dumbo, and a roller coaster that who knows how far off from completion it really is.
    Also, go back and check a certain Test Track refurb thread (sorry, too lazy to provide a link or copy/paste) where you poo-pooed any of us who dared doubt Disney would complete it by it's set deadline of last Sept. We all know how that turned out.
    Disney has the biggest PR machine this side of anywhere and it's obvious they snort up their own Pixie Dust with an upturned nose WAY too often these days.
    Keep it up Disney...all the while, whether they like it or not, a LOT more Guests are starting to notice the issues.
    Last edited by mickeytoo; 01-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

Only if you are too lazy to actually do any fact checking. She depends on trained seals like yourself to applaud her opinions when it comes to subtlety trashing WDW.

A post of mine from last year (feel free to fact check this):

If you ever decide to pull your head out of your hindquarters, this would be a much easier discussion to continue.

1. Pooterville was NOT an entirely new land. It was built mostly using an already existing area of the IoA park. The Dueling Dragons had been there for years, and years. The Flying Unicorn had ALSO been there for years. Oh, and as for your blazing fast time frames for all things Universal. The Flying Unicorn is what was refurbished into the Flight of the Hippogriff. How long did it take. Two years!

2. Pooterville was announced in January 2008, and opened in June 2010. Around 30 months, using two existing attractions as the centerpiece.

3. FLE was announced September 2009, and will officially open in December. Roughly 40 months using absolutely no existing attractions. Unless you want to count moving Dumbo.

As for the time frame on Mine Coaster, since Universal hasn't built a new roller coaster since 2000, and it took them 2 years to refurbish that one, I wouldn't crow too much if I were you.

What Was Disney's BIGGEST Mistake?
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; Today at 08:14 AM.

I'll refrain from trading personal insults because it takes away from the topic at hand and I actually find the practice icky at best.

Disney still can not break ground or refurbish on the time table that Universal does. The facts and timelines support that. FLE, Test Track and Starbucks demonstrate the difficulties Disney has with timelines. While I grant TT was a big project, it was mainly the queues and post with a change of decor within the ride itself. Fact, the ride experience, track inside and out pretty much stayed as it was so the physical experience is the same, just a visual changes for the ride experience.

Storybook is built on mostly repurposed land, Goofy Coaster didn't even move, fact. Dumbo was moved and a new Spinner built, it is very pretty but still just a spinner so Story Books totally new draw is the New Splash area, the one with the fence around the engine to keep children from interacting with Casey. Dumbo creeped into Tomorrowland property up against the Indy track. Tents that were repurposed stayed exactly where they were also though enhanced so the post above was not completely factually correct.

A chunk of FLE was also repurposed, the area next to Pinocchio's where the refreshment area was, the Ariel grotto splash area, Dumbo past home, Pooh's thoughtful play area and more of that area from 20K. I don't have a problem with Disney reusing land or attractions it is resourceful when done well. So very much like Universal Parks Disney does take advantage of previous infrastructure to speed along construction.

What we cannot forget or ignore is FLE is far from Complete. I believe that is a fact. Snow White is still boarded up, a greet that is also being repurposed from an attraction to a greet area, Dwarf isn't complete and neither is the restroom area near the Haunted Mansion. I believe that is also factual. The fact is that Disney had a pretend Grand Opening for an expansion that still had a very long time to go before the shovels are put away and the construction walls disappear.

I believe my facts are correct about Avatar 2017 and Disney's Wharf construction stall out after demolition started. I did not see the Wharf when I visited. I saw the pretty concept art but if the Wharf has been built I'd love to see pictures.

My opinion is Disney does not maintain their attractions the way they use to though they are slowly trying to fix some of the neglect. My opinion is Disney cannot stick a shovel in the ground and finish a project big or small as timely as Universal currently can. Imagineering future expansion projects in my opinion is getting worse, Disney put away shovels for announced projects like Avatar now being further delayed from 2015 to 2017. While they are my opinions they do not lack obvious facts. I am impressed with Universals Parks new HP expansion that will have several new attractions. Universals ability to demolish and go vertical in the same year and will likely complete those tasks in 2 years from announcement, demolition, shovel, grand opening. Transformers and Simpsons broke ground in the fall of 2012 and will likely open around the same time as Harry 2.0 so two years or less. Hopefully Disney can have a real Grand Opening for FLE by the time Universal latest new attractions come on line.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast