Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss #Disney-Central - Home of Disney Ride Videos - How To Guide in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; Greetings everyone! Lots of questions come up about #Disney-Central, mIRC , Invision and how to use/configure them. This thread shuold walk you though the basics. WHAT IS #DISNEY-CENTRAL #Disney-Central was ...
    ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland

#Disney-Central - Home of Disney Ride Videos - How To Guide

Greetings everyone!

Lots of questions come up about #Disney-Central, mIRC , Invision and how to use/configure them. This thread shuold walk you though the basics.

WHAT IS #DISNEY-CENTRAL
    #Disney-Central was born of Disney fans that wanted an easy way to trade Disney related sounds, video's, and other multimedia. (There is NO Disney copyrighted movies and such allowed.) As far as I know, this is the single largest location for Disney Multimedia in the world. If I would hazard a guess I would say we have well over 100gigs across all the individual servers.

PROGRAMS (click on name to download the program):
    mIRC 6.14
    Invision build 3515

mIRC - This is an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) program. Think of this like an AOL Chat Rooms or as a Real Time Forum. People can come together to discuss common interests. We have a channel on the NEWNET system called #Disney-Central.

mIRC can be a bit tricky to use. It is based on user command line inputs. This is like DOS of years ago. That is why we highly recommend downloading Invision.

Invision turns the command lines based operation of mIRC into a windows based command system (point and click.) It truely is the best way to go. Just install mIRC first, configure it and then install Invision - Invision will take care of the rest for you.

GUIDES
    There are 3 key guides:

Basic mIRC settings part 1

*Critical Info: See the post later on in this thread (post7) is critical new server info. The web link above has incorrect info.

mIRC Commands part 2 (and command line instructions)
    Invision Guide

Guide 1 is important so you can get the server settings and nick name correct. Unless you want to learn about the command line interface, I suggest you go straight to Invision and it's related guide.

SO, STEP BY STEP
    1) Download mIRC
    2) Download Invision
    3) Install mIRC - install to c:/mIRC (not c:/program files/mirc) recommended
    4) Use the IRC GUIDE to configure the server and nickname settings
    5)Install Invision
    6) Use the INVISION GUIDE to configure Invision
    7) Have fun! Once in the channel type !list and Invision will show you a list of servers. Double click your way through the directories. If you find a file you like, double click on it. It's that easy. See the Invision guide for greater detail.

While in the channel please feel free to contact an of the Ops (@ in front of their name) for help. Or post publically in the channel. We are a nice bunch and always willing to help.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. If you have suggestions or think I should make an addition to this post, please PM it to me. Thanks

Enjoy and have fun

RU42
    Last edited by ru42; 09-27-2004 at 11:15 PM.

Common Questions about mIRC

There are some other common questions that I shall answer here.

1) mIRC says I only have XX days left to use. What do I do?
    mIRC is a great program and I highly recommend that you pay the $20 for a Lifetime license. However, if you go by the 30 trial period, the program will NOT stop running. you might get a 'nag' message from time to time but the program will continue.

2) What if I want to serve files?
    That is awesome. Currently we have anywhere from 6-12 individuals serving from their computers. Yes, it is safe and secure to serve. We do not have a guide for this yet. Disneyjedi seems to be the key contact on how to serve. Invision is a must.

3) Who heads #Disney-Central?
    No one really. The lead server is by Popkid. The lead technical person is DisneyJedi. I spend my time creating videos and helping. The trivia queen is TiggerBW with additional support by Bamboo7. And the other Ops (@ in front of their name) and Voiced (+ in front of the their name) help in many ways.

4) Is there a web page?
    Yes, the address is http://www.wdwresorttv.com and it contains news and guides. It is not a web that 'serves' videos. All video's are served through IRC.

5) Is there FTP access?
    No - not unless you have opened up your computer to be a server. We will give you special FTP access after a period of time serving.

6) I see posts about DISTRO, what is that?
    Distro is a Servers only system. It is used as a distribution point for all servers. Example, when I create a new video I post it to DISTRO and tell the Servers to go get it. Each server (Cableboy, NewFun, SirLamer etc) can them visit that central point, download my video, and place it on the servers for the world to grab. Distro access is extremely limited and is available to our very long term Servers.

7) You keep saying 'Servers' - what does that mean?
    IRC works on the true network principle. No one computer controls the entire thing. There are a group of servers that make #Disney-Central available to the world (called NEWNET.) Within the channel #Disney-Central some people choose to open up specific directories on their computer so that people can download files. (See question #2 above.) If there was only 1 server, then everyone would have to wait in line. By having 6 to 12 servers the load is distributed amongst several computers. Servers are denoted with a + in front of their name. (Cableboy is an Op and a Server.)

8) I have some videos that I would like to share but I do not have the capture capability on my computer. What can I do?
    Contact me (RU42) by PM and I can help.

9) What is a queue?
    A queue is a line (we are familiar with those at Disney) for your download. People can open up how many files to send at one time, usually between 2 to 5. Once all of those 'pipes' are in use, you go into a queue. When one of those finishes, the first one in queue gets sent and the rest move up one spot.

10) How long will my queue wait be?
    There is not way to determine it. Some files are small, 3-5 megs, and some are large 200-300megs. Just depends on what is in front of you.

11) What is 'auto-accept'?
    Auto-accept will enable mIRC/Invision to accept any file that is sent to your computer. This is a good thing if your request is in a queue. When your turn comes up, auto accept will accept the file. This prevents you from having to sit at your computer staring at the screen waiting for your turn. OPTIONS - DCC: look for On Send options. See #12 for virus concern answers.

12) Can I get a virus on #Disney-Central?
    Yes - using a computer opens you up to viruses. However it is EXTREMELY unlikely. The same principles you use with your e-mail apply here:

A) Never open a file unless YOU chose to download it
    B) Keep you virus protection updated
    C) mIRC/Invision allows you to specify what files to 'auto-accept'. Limit the list to .zip, .rar, .mp3, .wmv, .wma, .avi, .wav, .mpg, .midi and .doc. This should cover 99% of the files. You can always add if you want something specific.
    D) mIRC/Invision will block certain files (default is on); (a few being) .exe, .ini, .com, .bat, .vbs, and .scr. (Find the entire list under OPTIONS - DCC - IGNORE
    E) mIRC/Invision allows you to specify which people to accept files from. OPTIONS - DCC: look for the Trusted button.

Use these basic steps and you will most likely NOT ever be hit with a virus. Also, Newnet actively scans for problems and scammers.

13) What about Mac's - is there a IRC program for them?
    I have heard of X-Chat Aqua for OS X. (If there are others out there and you have used them with #Disney-Central) please drop me a PM about them.

14) Can Mac's serve?
    I do not know of anyone serving on a Mac but one person is experimenting with a program called Hotline.

15) I see posts referring to #D-C, what is that?
    That is just shorthand for writting #Disney-Central

16) I am getting audio but not video upon playback?
    99% of the time this is a codec problem. A codec is a set of instructions that tells the computer 'how' to view the video. If your computer does not have the proper codec video playback will not happen, but audio probably will. Solutions: make sure you are using the most up-to-date software (Windows Media Player and Real Payer being the 2 most popular.) Also, many of the files on the site are encoded in DivX. You can visit http://www.divx.com for free codecs. Also you can ask an Op in the channel and they can help.

I will add more as I think of questions. If you have an specific question, please PM it to me.
    RU42

judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder
    wow cool! im going to try this tonight. so ill probably be asking for help tomorrow.

Happy to help anytime!

RU

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    re: macs - I prefer Snak for IRC. Other people like Ircle. I'd say Ircle's a little more powerful, but I like the interface/performance of Snak better. And Kent, the author of Snak, has put in some of my feature requests.

This guide will be updated once the server problems are fixed. - RU

Critcial Update To Disney-central Server Info

#Disney-Central has a new home - come on over and enjoy!

Effective 9/1/2004 #Disney-Central moved from the Newnet server system to the IRCHighway server system.

What you need to do (note, differnt version of mIRC might have slightly different commands

Open mIRC - if it connects to a sever, click on the disconnect button.

1. Click on VIEW and OPTIONS

2. Scroll to the very top in the Category: window on the left side. The top option should be CONNECT with several sub options (you may need to click on the + sign if you do not see the suboptions

3. Click on the top suboption SERVERS

4. The top window IIRC Networks - - - my setting is ALL

5. Next window is IRC SERVER, click on the ADD button just under that

6. Give it a name, mine is Disney Central New

7. IRC Server is: irc.irchighway.net

8. Group: #Disney-Central

9. Password - leave blank

10. Click OK and OK

Close mIRC and reopen. You should come to the new site. You can tell if it is the new site by a couple of key things:

bencjedi and ru42 are there with ! in front of their names. Also, there are some names with % in front of their name. Also, Distriv is here with us.

If you encounter problems please visit this following website:
    http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthre...1814#post731814

(We visit many Disney web sites and instead of questions and answers being at multiple web sites, we are trying to focus our energy to a single site.) Of course, if you post a question here I will try to answer it, but it might be already asked and answered at the link above.

RU
    Last edited by ru42; 09-27-2004 at 11:19 PM.

judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder
    is there any way to select a bunch of files to download without having to click each one at a time?

Unfortunately, no there is not. You would need to queue them up one at a time.

RU

Disnatic is offline C-Ticket Holder
    RU,
    Is there a way you can connect to #DisneyCentral using the IRC client in Mozilla?
    DISNATIC

Four Parks, One World

dolbyman is offline D-Ticket Holder
    if the mozilla client supports file transfer .. it should work ...

just connect to the channel and try it out

I guess the general answer is any IRC program with file transfer capabilities will work with #D-C.

We chose mIRC for all our guides since it is the most popular program for IRC.

RU

ceustis is offline A-Ticket holder
    Whenever I try to run mIRC I get a constant stream of trojan horses trying to break through. My virus program stops me from going any further so I can't configure it. I'm totally new to mIRC, so I don't really know any go-arounds to this problem. Any suggestions?

Did you download mIRC from http://www.mirc.com?

If not, that is where the trojans are coming from. If you did download from there, then there should be no trojans. mIRC is a very reputable company that has been around a long time.

Also in mIRC, in the options, you can shut off all incoming file requests. That might help too.

The only other thing I can think of is false positives; your AV thinking something is a trojan when it is not. mIRC has some great user forums as well.

I hope that helps.

RU

ceustis is offline A-Ticket holder
    I downloaded both mIRC and Invision from the links at the top of the thread. My AV program is listing the names of the trojan horses, and they're all legit. I'll try shutting off all incoming file requests and see if that does anything. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast