Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss Wishing Antarctica was in Animal Kingdom in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; Originally Posted by HauntedGabe My first school board conference in Orlando had me at the Portifino at Universal for 5 days. We had a trip for a week for spring ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Wishing Antarctica was in Animal Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    My first school board conference in Orlando had me at the Portifino at Universal for 5 days. We had a trip for a week for spring break planned at Disney immediately following my conference. My kids were preteen and a highschooler that had hundreds of days at Disney Parks under their belts already. As I looked at what the Universal Parks had to offer I took the kids out of school early for Spring Break, DH and the Kids joined me at Universal before our Disney Vacation and they were up for a new experience. And we were sold. My kids loved the diversity between the competing parks. The hotel we stayed at is themed beautifully and the rooms were beyond beautiful, views spectacular. They didn't leave Uni property (I had to for my conference) and they remained in that Uni bubble for those days and pool hopped too as that is still allowed on Uni property. The kids as resort guests enjoyed the perk of front of the line, endless amounts of times during the day and night. Then we went onto our Disney Vacation. This is now the pattern for our vacations, 2 bubbles. But next year it will be time to wiggle out of the Uni bubble and add a sneak peak at Sea World too. But for the most part our vacations are the same, we just have two bubbles instead of just one bubble.
    As Scott said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    VERY nicely stated!
    Last edited by supernova; 07-23-2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Closed-minded because I won't pay close to $100 to go to a park I've been to and didn't find very compelling?

No, that would be a sound fiscal choice.

Closed-minded because I won't pay close to $100 to go to a park I've been to and didn't find very compelling?

No, that would be a sound fiscal choice.
    It also depends on when the last time you set foot at another park. If you haven't been outside Disney's realm since the early to mid 90's, you're missing out on an awful lot.

So while some may claim that it's not financially sound for them to visit alternate amusement parks, I think from way too many of the posts around here that it's 20% I can't swing it and 80% fanboy I wouldn't DARE go to 'the other' park.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I can swing it, I just don't care to. Last time I was at IoA was probably 2000-01. Not long before we moved here in '02.

Either way, your argument is completely absurd. I guess eveytime I go to Chicago, for example, instead of returning to restaurants that we've been to and loved we should also keep returning to those we either didn't care for or found mediocre, right?

Here in reality, most folks actually choose to spend their money on things they like, not things they don't care much for.

Food is always one of those odd things. Here in NYC, as in most major cities, we have TONS of awesome restaurants, many of them independently owned, not chains. So I find it absurdly stupid when I pass chain restaurants in Times Square packed with tourists. "Look honey, it's an Olive Garden. Let's eat there." Right. because you didn't just eat at one in your local strip mall back home in Boise, ID. I refuse to believe they flew all the way to New York to eat at Olive Garden. Or to England to eat at McDonald's.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    It also depends on when the last time you set foot at another park. If you haven't been outside Disney's realm since the early to mid 90's, you're missing out on an awful lot.

So while some may claim that it's not financially sound for them to visit alternate amusement parks, I think from way too many of the posts around here that it's 20% I can't swing it and 80% fanboy I wouldn't DARE go to 'the other' park.
    I believe the Disney Fanboy's use two different yard sticks to evaluate WDW & Uni Parks. Fanboys tend to implement French Skating Judges standards when comparing Disney Parks to Uni Parks.

Would a Fanboy in 2013 hold AK or DHS to the fire for Grand Opening sub par parks way back when when they were not worth a full days admission? No.

Would a Fanboy hold Uni to the fire in 2013 for a sub par park when it opened? Yes

Would a Fanboy acknowledge Harry Potter as a great revenue builder and a sucessful draw? No

Would a Fanboy acknowledge My Disney Experience as a Win for guests? Yes

Would a Fanboy acknowledge Front of the Line as a good perk for Uni resort guests? No

Would a Fanboy acknowledge EMH as a good perk for Disney Resort guests? Yes

Would a Fanboy view pool hopping at Uni Resorts as a good perk? No

Would a Fanboy acknowledge all the attractions coming to Uni and under construction as a Win? No

Would a Fanboy acknowledge the success of BoG in FLE. Yes

Would a Fanboy acknowledge the success of Three Broomstick in Wizarding World. No

Would a Fanboy acknowledge Disney Holiday Park parties as a Win? Yes

Would a Fanboy acknowledge Uni's Horror Nights as a Win? No

There just isn't a way to have a dialog with Fanboys that have never been to Uni or in a decade or more. I could not have a dialog either about the current state of WDW attractions if the Fanboy had never been to WDW or had not visited in more than 10+ years. Too much has changed in WDW and Uni in that time frame the frame of reference is lacking.

My fault with Fanboys is the Chernobyl meltdowns for fans that enjoying both sets of parks or for acknowledging that both sets of parks have their pro's and con's. Both sets have wonderful offerings yet each has plenty of room for improvement.
    supernova likes this.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Food is always one of those odd things. Here in NYC, as in most major cities, we have TONS of awesome restaurants, many of them independently owned, not chains. So I find it absurdly stupid when I pass chain restaurants in Times Square packed with tourists. "Look honey, it's an Olive Garden. Let's eat there." Right. because you didn't just eat at one in your local strip mall back home in Boise, ID. I refuse to believe they flew all the way to New York to eat at Olive Garden. Or to England to eat at McDonald's.
    We don't even eat at chain restaurants here at home.

And please answer my question.

We don't even eat at chain restaurants here at home.

And please answer my question.
    I don't mean you, I mean tourists in general. I am in Times Square every day on my lunch hour. I see the lines outside cr@ppy Red Lobster. I wouldn't eat there at home much less on a trip to a major city.

And as far as answering your question, I believe HauntedGabe just did.

I believe the Disney Fanboy's use two different yard sticks to evaluate WDW & Uni Parks. Fanboys tend to implement French Skating Judges standards when comparing Disney Parks to Uni Parks.

There just isn't a way to have a dialog with Fanboys that have never been to Uni or in a decade or more. I could not have a dialog either about the current state of WDW attractions if the Fanboy had never been to WDW or had not visited in more than 10+ years. Too much has changed in WDW and Uni in that time frame the frame of reference is lacking.

My fault with Fanboys is the Chernobyl meltdowns for fans that enjoying both sets of parks or for acknowledging that both sets of parks have their pro's and con's. Both sets have wonderful offerings yet each has plenty of room for improvement.
    Nicely done. It's as if you have StewbotTalborg, MoNoyz, and Gatorhead's brains all in the same petri dish. All of the arguments 'against' going to Sea World or Universal are simply excuses. So far we've had:

"I don't want to take the time to drop off a rental car. Which first of all is right at the termian, and second, if anyone of those guys actually DID rent a car, they'd find that it takes FAR less time to drop off a car than to have to wait on the line for ME, wait for everyone to board before they'll send the bus to the resorts, then wait for your scheduled pick up, drive through OTHER resorts to pick up THOSE guests, etc. Drive up to Alamo, hand them your keys, and you're out of there. No counter service, no wait times, no problems. Plus, you come and go as you please. So the argument about the hassle is bogus, moot, and irrelevant.

"I don't want to learn how to drive in Florida or on Disney property." I guess that could be true, because the steering wheel is on the right side of the car, and they drive on the opposite side of the road down there. Oh wait, no... it's all the same. I LOVE driving the private roads on Disney property. It's fun to drive around back and go past the monorail docks and where they set up the fireworks. I enjoy visiting the outlets and even the Disney surplus shops. You can find some great items there. I enjoy dining at places that DON'T have Mickey everywhere I look. There are some places I can only eat while I'm in Orlando, so I look forward to being there. Irrelevant.

"I drive every single day at home. Why would I want to drive on vacation? I want to go and relax." Umm... OK. I drive every day, too. I also use mass transit every day. I swim in my pool nearly every day. I walk every day, be it on a track or just to work. I play tennis three times a week. I golf twice a month. So if I eliminate everything I do all month long, every month, then that rules out swimming, walking, recreation, and taking Disney's transit system of buses and trains/monorails. Irrelevant.

"I have no interest in going there. It doesn't appeal to me, from what I remember over a decade ago." OK, so the people who first attended Disneyland on opening day in the 50s when there were only three lands and all of the horror stories of the melting tar and broken water fountains had a horrible time decided not to return ever again because it had no appeal to them. In the past couple of years alone, with the enhancement of Spider Man, the addition of Harry Potter, the new Transformers ride, and with the new addition of Springfield, that positively trumps two Dumbos, a repurposed Goofy coaster, a silly dark ride, and an awful Belle experience. Ten years ago, heck, five years ago, this stuff wasn't there. For a group of people so obsessed with amusement parks that they constantly post about them, you'd think that additions to parks like the ones Universal and now Sea World (I can't wait to get over to check out Antarctica this Decemeber) would be enough to bring these park enthusiasts out of their shells and over to other areas. One day when time permits, I am absolutely checking out Legoland, too. But there again, since Disney doesn't own it... And there again, irrelevant.

So these excuses are smoke screens for my lobotomy does not permit me to look anywhere else but Disney property. Must... give... Walt... Disney... all... of... my... money.
    Last edited by supernova; 07-24-2013 at 07:18 PM.

So you're resetting the bar after you previously mention the mid 90's. Nice!

What other lengths will you go to in order to force feed your opinion on the superiority of Universal on people that don't particularly care?

What's next? Everybody who visits Florida has to eat seafood because if they don't they're closed-minded?

They also have to charter a boat and go fishing in the Gulf?

Visit Key West?

Here's the thing you and your gal pal simply do not grasp. Different people not only have different tastes, but they also have different pursuits. Going to great pains to force your own on others while disparaging them for not caring for them strikes me as being extremely insecure.

When we visit Boston/Cape Cod we go whale watching. Should I therefore berate everyone who chooses not to? No, I'm not going to concern myself with how others choose to spend their vacation time. They may not share my interests.

And the most efficient way to turn them off to the idea entirely is to disparage them for being "closed-minded" because they have the audacity to not like something that I do.

The whole thing is rather childish.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-24-2013 at 11:03 AM.

As is spending the grand majority of your time on a WDW website trashing WDW.

When we visit Boston/Cape Cod we go whale watching. Should I therefore berate everyone who chooses not to? No, I'm not going to concern myself with how others choose to spend their vacation time. They may not share my interests.
    It also doesn't mean you should never go dolphin watching or out on a glass bottom boat because you feel like you would be cheating on the whales.

If I wasn't irritated with the conversation I'd say "well played".

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Well, I tried to be nice but all I can say is who really gives a dayum where or how you spend your vacation? I certainly couldn't give a flying flip about where anyone goes while in Florida, or in your city, neighborhood or wherever the heck you're going and how you do it.

And last time I checked this was a Disney forum. I come on here every blue moon to see if I can offer up some insight or advice to help others out that might be traveling to Disney. Sometimes I post questions or start threads myself. Not to get into a tiff about how and where you spend your vacations.

Some of these folks, like Supernova, need to pull the stick out of their butt and quit being so uptight. Or either try drinking some sweet tea. I hear that's not a hot commodity up North but down here in the South we like to drink our sweet tea, relax and plan our next Disney trip!
    Mo Noyz likes this.

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

I can respect that. We did just that for well over a decade when our kids were small. I too have been visiting since the Kingdom opened and DL before that. When my kids were young and my DH and I both had demanding careers our 2 week annual trips were our sanctuary. We didn't listen to news, my DH read the sports page and that was it from the outside world, we enjoyed being shut-ins at WDW. But when my son was small there was only 2 parks at Disney and we stayed offsite with a car. We did explore everything else around and we did enjoy ourselves. My whole childhood we spent 4-6 weeks in Florida every spring so I was very use to soaking in all Florida had to offer, but slowly Disney did swallow up everything else. I did find it bittersweet 'cause I love Disney but sad for the Easters I would never spend at the Kapakok Tree Inn and other things we did do in Florida over the years.

My first school board conference in Orlando had me at the Portifino at Universal for 5 days. We had a trip for a week for spring break planned at Disney immediately following my conference. My kids were preteen and a highschooler that had hundreds of days at Disney Parks under their belts already. As I looked at what the Universal Parks had to offer I took the kids out of school early for Spring Break, DH and the Kids joined me at Universal before our Disney Vacation and they were up for a new experience. And we were sold. My kids loved the diversity between the competing parks. The hotel we stayed at is themed beautifully and the rooms were beyond beautiful, views spectacular. They didn't leave Uni property (I had to for my conference) and they remained in that Uni bubble for those days and pool hopped too as that is still allowed on Uni property. The kids as resort guests enjoyed the perk of front of the line, endless amounts of times during the day and night. Then we went onto our Disney Vacation. This is now the pattern for our vacations, 2 bubbles. But next year it will be time to wiggle out of the Uni bubble and add a sneak peak at Sea World too. But for the most part our vacations are the same, we just have two bubbles instead of just one bubble.
    More then likely when our son gets older we'll have to venture to alternatives for the thrill rides and other experiences outside of Disney. But for now my family is all content with Disney and it seems to be just around the right speed.... if ya know what I mean.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast