Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
Multimedia - Video, Music and Sound Files Discuss Disney Solutions, Shade for BoG Queue in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; When Disney landscaped the queue area outside for Be Our Guest they put in Christmas Tree's off to the sides that do not provide shade. Now there is a CM ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Disney Solutions, Shade for BoG Queue

When Disney landscaped the queue area outside for Be Our Guest they put in Christmas Tree's off to the sides that do not provide shade. Now there is a CM devoted to passing out big Golf Umbrellas to provide personal shade.

or 5 minutes of umbrella watching....... A picture does do it sometimes.

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Disney Solutions, Shade for BoG Queue

Bizarre.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

So the Imagineers needed to be reminded about the sun? Okaaayyyyyyyyy.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, something is terribly amiss there.

I'm assuming the FP+ thing will get rid of those lines, but it would have been nice to a more professional contingency plan in place for guest comfort until the program is fully up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    So the Imagineers needed to be reminded about the sun? Okaaayyyyyyyyy.

Budget cuts. It is cheaper to purchase umbrella's from China than to landscape with mature trees grown in the USA Besides the umbrella's are multipurpose, with a 1-2 hour wait for stand-bye seating for a QS lunch, if it rains Disney has you covered!

Imagineering at it's best.
    supernova likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

Budget cuts. It is cheaper to purchase umbrella's from China than to landscape with mature trees grown in the USA Besides the umbrella's are multipurpose, with a 1-2 hour wait for stand-bye seating for a QS lunch, if it rains Disney has you covered!

I'm honestly surprised that the money making Disney Corporation didn't take this opportunity to SELL sun shades. Heck, I'm still not 100% convinced that Disney doesn't have a mystery weather machine to make it rain whenever supplies of ponchos build up.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

They don't need one. It's Florida.

Rains everyday at 5:00pm for 5 minutes during rainy season.

daleycss is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

I get the rain part, but i don't understand your comment on trees grown in the USA... Disney has their own huge tree farm as part of their horticulture deparmtent and they are able to replace any fallen/dead tree immediately.. So its more a problem with the logistics and the actual thought process rather than thinking they'd rather have a line of umbrellas covering an entire bridge. Disney isn't that cheap and ridiculous. They've had their troubles and issues with budget, but that's a bit absurd don't ya think??
    Mo Noyz likes this.
    I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by daleycss View Post
    I get the rain part, but i don't understand your comment on trees grown in the USA... Disney has their own huge tree farm as part of their horticulture deparmtent and they are able to replace any fallen/dead tree immediately.. So its more a problem with the logistics and the actual thought process rather than thinking they'd rather have a line of umbrellas covering an entire bridge. Disney isn't that cheap and ridiculous. They've had their troubles and issues with budget, but that's a bit absurd don't ya think??
    Yeah, I think most of us are quite aware that Disney has a vast Horticultural department, most of us are aware of the major departments within WDW. No, I don't think it is absurd at all. Don't you think Disney knows by now 1-2 hours in a queue outdoors in Florida sun requires shade? What is absurd is Disney didn't address that. And you are correct they did have budget issues and cuts were made as we are all aware. Disney does have an extensive horticultural department yet over simplifying the planning for major projects is a disservice to what these CMs create. Yes they can simply replace a staple tree. We saw them this year chainsaw more mature trees and the next day replace them with stick trees in Town Square. We watched the majestic Cherry Tree's come to an end and sticks replace them in the hub however even that project wasn't immediate.

The 140 year old Oak Tree in Liberty Square took extensive planning to uproot and transport to the Square and many preparations were made for it to be transplanted. It is absurd to think if that tree died or fell over it would be immediately be replaced. To think that preparing trees for months, cutting through 100 year old roots carefully, transporting and replanting in a soil prepared area with proper drainage and watering is inexpensive to accomplish just because they have a tree farm on property, well that is nieve. The infrastructure alone to support these transplants into attractions is very expensive tree farm or not. While Horticulture does grow a chunk of their own trees and harvest some from undeveloped areas they also import a good chunk of their trees and plants depending on the project. AK, 40 percent of the trees were purchased from other areas of the country/off property. Likely those plants could not immediately be replaced either.

But this YouTube is what it is, hilarious, caught on video, make shift shade for a blunder in imagineering of the BoG outdoor Queue. Disney has known for quite some time now just how hot the concrete area of Fantasyland is without shade. They learned when they removed all those mature trees we all see in yesteryear pictures of Fantasyland. They added trees in the FLE, they just blew BoG outdoor queue. While umbrellas have been around forever, Golf Umbrella's in this YouTube video are just so funny, so out of place in the Era of the FLE. Funnier that they just didn't address the Sun at all. Who in Florida doesn't plan for the Sun and heat? (Well Disney when they didn't put A/C in most buildings of Animal Kingdom. History does repeat itself.)
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 07-29-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Think even further back. Consider what it took to build the entire park. They had to uproot thousands of trees throughout swamp land to clear the space. Then they had to determine which trees to keep and transplant to other areas, which ones to cut down for lumber, and which ones got mulched to build up the turf. So his point about Disney planting trees is silly. They've been playing with trees for decades.

Pick Your Own Christmas Tree... Disney style!
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Disney keeps adding *perks* to the BoG queue. With the shade-less queue waits in the hot summer sun being upwards of 2 hours, Disney first added umbrellas. Now in addition to umbrellas Disney has added water stations to the queue. CMs are also passing out menus in the queue so Guests are prepared to order when it is their turn to enter BoG.

Disney Food Blog posted a good picture of the shade-less queue.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast