Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Other Disney Parks Discuss shark fin soup in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; Originally Posted by 20K Fair enough, I'll give you that. I obviously mis-interpreted what you were saying. But just because you're going into a pre-established food culture doesn't mean you ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    Fair enough, I'll give you that. I obviously mis-interpreted what you were saying. But just because you're going into a pre-established food culture doesn't mean you abide by it. It is not as if eating shark is a religious factor in their lives. It isn't, and they would not be offending the local community by not having it, so why ARE they serving it?

But that is the general point I'm trying to make here, and I apologise again Stitch, if you feel I was twisting your words.

And Tampa, I believe it's Korea, North n' South, who indulge in the eating of dogs
    Totally didn't feel that way...was just explaining that we are sorta on the same page on the issue. And good point... it isn't a religious factor, so Disney shouldn't worry about offending anyone.

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    This is just awful. Eww. I'm a vegan and a strong supporter against animal cruelty. I'm not one of those people who go up to people who are eating meat and tell them off, though. I tolerate other peoples eating of meat or milk, eggs, etc. But I'm against Disney for the first time on this one.
    Izzy

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Quickly wanted to add, unless you got the impression, I am NOT a member of PETA. In fact, I even participated in an anti-PETA gathering three years ago just opposite a very small PETA demonstration. They said that milking cows was in-humane. Go figure.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    I just do not understand what makes okay it for one culture to indulge on one animal but it's wrong for another. I'm not saying that I would ever eat a shark (though it probably tastes like chicken) what I am saying is why killing a shark is any different than hanging a chicken from it's feet to send it through a machine that will slice it's neck, letting it dangle w/ it's head still attached by a string of skin and letting it bleed to death?? People just become adapted to their own cultures. I don't see people in America boycotting Disney because they serve chicken fingers......

ps... I do eat chicken... because it is tasty!!!

The difference dzney4lyf is that chickens are bred simply to be used, and because of this, they are bred in their thousands, perhaps millions, for this eating purpose. However fond you may be of them as animals, they are simply in existance so that people can eat them. Sharks, however, aren't. And there isn't an unlimited supply of them either.

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    Quickly wanted to add, unless you got the impression, I am NOT a member of PETA. In fact, I even participated in an anti-PETA gathering three years ago just opposite a very small PETA demonstration. They said that milking cows was in-humane. Go figure.
    I'm actually a PETA member and am proud of it.
    Izzy

Well, more power to ya.

- Walt Disney

Trust me, I'm not as strong-headed as they are. I don't go around holding up picket signs and yelling at people. I do not agree with everything they say. I don't mean to sound arguementitive, but show you that I'm not as pushy as they are. I just recieve the magazine and (sometimes) stick stickers on Petco windows,etc.
    Izzy

It doesn't matter what the rest of the organisation's like, or how they're portrated, if its something you care about, you shouldn't have to justify yourself.

Now, 'Petco'. Is that anything like the 'pet shops' I sometimes see over in the US where animals are all bunched into small cages, row-upon-row down the walls of the shop, complete with stickers like 'Just In' attached to each? Those places seemed pretty horrific. However, I don't want to hijack this topic and turn it into an argument between different-minded people. But remember everyone that animals aren't the only things exposed to cruelty. Think of humans too.

Woo Siu-chung remembers the past fondly: "Life was simple. We worked and we fished. But everyone is gone. Even the fish have gone. They also know Disney is coming."
    This is quite an interesting article from a different prospective. It's a low-quality archive BBC report.
    Last edited by 20K; 05-28-2005 at 05:18 PM.

- Walt Disney

Zack Culvert is offline A-Ticket holder
    A little about local food culture. Most people can not tell the differnece between ordinary shark fin soup (under US$5) and gelatin. It does not really taste that differnet from the soup base it is cooked in. restaurants serve it only because it is expensive, and chance for the host to show off that he(or she) is rich. It is conspicuous consumption of the worst kind.

Zack Culvert is offline A-Ticket holder
    Most of the 1.3 billion people in China have necer tasted shark fin soup and are doing just fine. It is not a culture thing. Just like whale-hunting is not a Japanese culture thing, because the industry did not start until the 19th century. In asia, anything less than a thousand years is not culture, it is a foreign import.

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    I read a story on Yahoo news early this morning that Disney will not be serving Shark Fin Soup at Hong Kong DL as they could not find a reputable supplier.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    that's a nice way of saying, they ran out of sharks.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    There is a good article on the issue on this site.

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/art...er.php?aid=189

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    out of curiousity:

how is eating shark, or dog (which I find a terribly horrible stereotype, which is usually blown way out of proportion), any different than eating pig, chicken, or cow?
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast