Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Other Disney Parks Discuss shark fin soup in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; i can still eat dolphin, right?...
    GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i can still eat dolphin, right?

Zack Culvert is offline A-Ticket holder
    Have a good trip. It's one of the maybe 15 clear days here a year today. Unbelievable. The Disney Park is in management disarray as a whole level of people just left. Amazing waste of public money.

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    ^now THAT I could agree on. The management there, I'm learning, is terrible, in my opinion, that park is lucky a *lot* more people had not left. Of course, Joyce and I still like the park itself (when it's her day off) but the management is nothing short of horrendous....at least at the food service part.

Zack, do you live in HK?
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

I do live in HK. I was involved in the planning of another theme park in Beijing area (killed) so I was paying attention to the sector. It's such a tough business in Asia, the cultural differences are so great. Most of the profits is in the souvenirs, which Disney makes the money, not te park owner which is the HK government.

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    do you have any info about the rumored Shanghai Disneyland?

I know it's only rumored, but I was just wondering if the Chinese govt. would put any money into it, after what happened to HK Disneyland...
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

It's very political, as everything is in China. The money would not come from the Chinese central government, but come from the Shanghai municipal government which is far richer ( in a relative sense) than the central government. Now there are competing regions for the honor of the theme park, Beijing of course, and Xian, all want the park. The current administration's cleansing of the previous Shanghai-dominated group plays a part in the final decision.

The other political issue is cultural. The conservatives worry about spiritual pollution of more western culture, and is using it as a jab against the moderates in power.

There were 2500 theme parks built in China in the last 15 years, according to Pricewaterhouse, about 2499 of them lose money, and become blights of the locality when some were abandoned. This is not lost on the policy makers.

eww who the heck would want to eat sharks???
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Arianne31 is offline A-Ticket holder

FYI: Shark Week started this Sunday on the Discovery Channel. One of my favorite weeks all year!

Let's all remember that in this issue, it's not the cruelty involved that makes it wrong (any more wrong than cows, pigs, etc). It's the decimation of a population of a certain animal that would cause irreparable damage to the marine ecosystem over a bowl of soup. Not a fanatic...just studied Marine Bio.
    Arianne

ari & jay

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567