Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Other Disney Parks Discuss Disney Bails out DL Paris... again in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; Paris, France, Jun. 10 (UPI) -- The Walt Disney Co. is helping to shore up finances of the troubled Disneyland resort outside Paris for the second time in a decade. ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Disney Bails out DL Paris... again

Paris, France, Jun. 10 (UPI) -- The Walt Disney Co. is helping to shore up finances of the troubled Disneyland resort outside Paris for the second time in a decade.

Disney and three French banks agreed to a financial bailout of Euro Disney, grappling with heavy debt and slow ticket sales. About $2.9 billion in debt would be refinanced under the plan, and Euro Disney would issue an unspecified amount of stock to raise cash and help pay for new theme park attractions, the Los Angeles Times said.

Disney could purchase as much as $120 million of the new stock in Euro Disney, a source familiar with the deal said.

Although the rescue package would avert a financial crisis, it wouldn't get Euro Disney out of the woods entirely. Analysts say there are many challenges ahead for the publicly traded company.

"It's a lifeline," said Mark Abramson, an analyst with Bear Stearns. "The major obstacles, however, remain in place."
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    What seems to be the trouble? I have never really paid attention to DLP.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    DLP has been mired in troubles since Day One. The received a poor welcome from the French, and the inclement weather, differences in cultures, etc. all added up to a veritable failure of "Euro Disney."
    Lou Mongello

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    I went to Disneyland Paris on my second trip to Europe, and it really wasn't all that bad. It wasn't nearly as good as The World in Orlando. To be honest, it was more like a Six Flags than a Disney. It was dirty. The guests were rude. The cast members were rude. Overall, it just wasn't a Disney experience. It was a fun day because the rides are pretty good, but it was the same "fun day" that I have at Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens. It was well below the standards that I have come to expect from Disney. Their version of Space Mountain was cool though!
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

It almost seems as though the attractions in an dof themselves are up to Disney standards, but everything else about the park, CMs, etc. is not. I knew that many of the French were unhappy with having to conform to American philosophies and mannerisms in "Euro Disney", and it seems to continue to this day. Why, I'll never know.
    Lou Mongello

NORMNB8S is offline And they call him Sandy Claws
    I also remember hating the way they ran the queus too. You know how some rides have indoor queue areas and then outdoor ones as well. Well, instead of using all of that area for the line, they would stop the line at the door and make everyone wait outside and then they would let in a group of people at a time, depending on the size of the ride. For Space Moutain, they would only let in like a dozen people at a time. That was sort of bothersome. What was really bothersome were these kids that kept running through the line...just kept pushing their way through. In the hour and a half wait, we saw them 2 times...same kids. They just kept cutting through the line and riding and then doing it again. The third time around, a friend and I just stood there shoulder to shoulder and wouldn't let them through. They ended up going around us...but I did my part I guess.
    Engaged to a wonderful woman on 12-12-08 at the Magic Kingdom!

Pop Century - August 2005
    Caribbean Beach - December 2008

adambreakey is offline Moderator
    I have been to DLP twice now. The first time was shortly after the park opened and the second was two years ago. Both times I had a great time. The first trip the place was empty! I have a pic of the area outside of their haunted mansion and there are no other guests there... and this was right around lunchtime. We were able to walk onto nearly every ride with less than a 5 minute wait. -- The second trip was a little busier, but I still had a great time. I love their space mountain and big thunder. Also the Indy coaster is pretty good (in reverse) albeit short.

I will visit the park everytime I am in France - just like I will visit DL when in LA everytime. It is really a great park -- although I haven't been to the studios yet, so I will withhold total judgement until then --

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

NeedMagic is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am a big fan of Disneyland Resort Paris. Since we only have to drive 3h30 to visit it, we visit it every three weeks. Never visited another Disney park (will visit WDW in one month), but I feel the magic when I'm at DLRP.
    The quality went down about 5-6 years ago. Because of the financial problems they kept saving money everywhere. It was terrible! Now they have a new CEO since about a year and he's bringing the magic back. Details are coming back everywhere and we've lots of new entertainment, e.g. the wonderful The Legend of The Lion King show at Disneyland Park.
    The Walt Disney Studios opened there doors in 2002 and are way too small. You can walk from one side of the park to the other in about 5-10 min. In fact it's just one big street :-s Problaby with the new money from TWDC they will expend the park. I've heard about adding The Tower of Terror and Buzz Lightyear.

Jonas_Swe is offline A-Ticket holder

Hi!

I have visited Disneyland Paris several times since the opening in 1992! :mickey:
    I LOVE DLP and it feels like a second home to me.

I do not agree with the statement that CM's a rude...
    Yes, the culture is different in Europe. But you have to expect that when you travel to a foregin country, don't you?

Some of the "rudeness" might be experienced due to language differences... It's a known fact that southern europeans are not as good with the english language as the northen europeans. Although Disney tries everything they can to teach every CM basic and poliet english. When english is not your first, second nor third language, some minor errors might slip out.

Remember that Europe consists of many small countries, each one with it's own language... often not even close to similar to eachother. To work in the service buissness in Europe, you need to know at least 3 languages well enough to carry a conversation. Add the fact that most of the summer staff at DLP are young kids from college or university. Ofcourse some thing always could be better, but I must say that the CM's at DLP are doing a FANTASTIC work!

The only ride that lets people inside in small groups is the Haunted Mansion!
    Because of the loading area to the strech room... All other queues are ordinary lines that go back and forth in a winding way until you reach the loading area. And in true Disney manner, most rides and attractions have a pre-show room. At very busy times congestion might occur in the loading area, and that might cause some minor stops in the flow...

I truly feel sorry for those of you that have had a not soo good experience of DLP...

The most important thing to take with you when you travel abroad is this little happy thought: It's not right, it's not wrong... it's just different!

That one have saved me from much frustration... anywhere I have traveled!

šoš Have a Disney Day! šoš
    Jonas_Swe

2005: Walt Disney World - First Time!
    Wilderness Lodge - 10 days
    Boardwalk Inn - 10 Days
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'September 19, 2005 9:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=black> Countdown to my First WDW Vacation </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'WDW here I come!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Pipper is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Jonas,
    Well said - you have a fantastic attitude!

Pipper

Pipper is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I've heard that the Main Street Electrical Parade was moved to Disneyland Paris. Can anyone tell me if this is true? If so is it identical to it's Disneyworld format or has it been changed at all? Does anyone know? I'm going to Disneyland Paris in November and would be overjoyed to see the parade as it was again.

Pipper

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipper
    I've heard that the Main Street Electrical Parade was moved to Disneyland Paris. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
    I haven't been to DLP, but I do know that another version of the MSEP may be seen as Disneyland California Adventure. Other than some minor changes in the introduction (the words "Main Street" were removed) and a few different floats, nearly everything else was the same as I remembered from WDW.

(Lou now humming the old MSEP song.... just as bad as my singing, I assure you)
    Lou Mongello

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I just pulled out the CD.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    I just pulled out the CD.
    LOL...me too!! Except I don't have the MSEP CD. It's on my Classic Disney CD, volume II. I *totally* loved this parade in CA. I was so excited seeing it, was very cool! Now I guess I better go see Spectromagic on the next trip.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast