Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Other Disney Parks Discuss How much French do I need to know to survive Disneyland Paris? in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; Well, I went to DLP in June 2006. I studied a few basic French phrases on the plane trip over, but I survived knowing very little French. I just had ...
    BarryH is offline A-Ticket holder
    Well, I went to DLP in June 2006. I studied a few basic French phrases on the plane trip over, but I survived knowing very little French. I just had to say "Do you speak English?" in French a lot. I did try to speak some French to a CM manning the Coke stand. I did a very bad Pepe Le Pew accent, but he saw through it and talked to me in English! Of course, my Florida Coaster Club t-shirt gave away that I was from the U.S.

Next Disney park to conquer: Tokyo Disneyland Resort!
    Current coaster count: 382

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Very little. IMHO you can get on ok in most parts of France without knowing a lot of French! Makes you feel a little embarrasesed really - they are really good at speaking English and I always feel I should make more of an effort to speak French!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

elcondor is offline A-Ticket holder
    This is one of the reasons why I think Disney should have built the park in Spain - I speak Spanish, but no French! I speak a little German, very little Italian, Chinese Urdu and Russian (I work in a multi-national research group), but no French.

Normally my trick is to go with someone who speaks French, and let them do the talking, the rest of the time I just try to use the common language patterns to work out what's going on.

Sometimes, using Spanish as a lingua franca works too but sometimes I just end up holding a phrase book like this , if things get desperate.

Megh2788 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hello!
    Don't worry; all our cast members are able to speak english currently.
    So, you'll be understood without any worries!

Have a nice trip!

Kisses

Megh.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I know this is an old thread but I wanted to it up with a sort of revisit to this question. Everyone focused on the CMs and what language they speak but I'm curious to know if the ride signs etc. are in English as well as French. Also curious to know if the audio that plays on some attractions is in both?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

danheaton is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I know very little French, and didn't have any problem with the signs, ride audio, etc. Almost everything was spoken in French and English, and sometimes just in English. It's very easy to navigate and understand.

tinkerbelle_rox is offline B-Ticket Holder

help

we are going to disneyland paris on may 30-june 6 an di was wondering what i needed to know about how much french i need to know and some helpful hints about the park please help!

Danielle
    : THINK TINK :

DD13- DD18- ME- DH-

elcondor is offline A-Ticket holder
    Some attractions are presented solely in French (Star Tours and the Phantom Manor preshow spring to mind).

Most others either have no dialogue, or are presented in a mixture of the two which anyone can follow.

I'm pretty certain that the 'guest contact' Cast Members will speak English, except for the one manager I met when it all went a bit Wizard of Oz (see my article)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12