Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Other Disney Parks Discuss How much French do I need to know to survive Disneyland Paris? in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; It seems like our friends from www.themeparkreview.com is doing a group trip to the UK and I'll probably be joining them! I might make a side trip to Disneyland Paris. ...
    BarryH is offline A-Ticket holder

How much French do I need to know to survive Disneyland Paris?

It seems like our friends from www.themeparkreview.com is doing a group trip to the UK and I'll probably be joining them! I might make a side trip to Disneyland Paris. I know that there's a train that runs from London to Paris. But I'm concerned on how much French I need to know. The only French I know is from a French restaurant menu! Even there, I point at what I want because I can never say it in French! So for those who have been to Disneyland Paris, how much French do I need to know?

Also, what would be some suggestions to see in Paris for a one-day sightseeing excursion?
    Current coaster count: 382

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Barry -

When my brother and I went to EuroDisney (it will always be EuroDisney to me) we new absolutely no French (except for escargot and champagne!). The nice thing about the CMs there (and here now) is that they have flags on their name tags to indicate the languages they speak. Just about every one of them had a British flag on their pin.

The one thing I will tell you is to watch the destination signs for the trains. The train that goes from Paris to EuroDisney shares a track with another destination. My brother and I got on the wrong train twice. Both times we got to a fork in the track and the train took the wrong fork. So just watch for the train going to the right destination.

Have fun!

Todd
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

BarryH is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the tips, Todd! I think I will learn some key French phrases in case I want to go sightseeing in Paris. I must go into a McDonald's because I want to see what they call a Quarter Pounder!
    Current coaster count: 382

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I think they renamed that the "Fat American" when we renamed French Fries, Freedom Fries!!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Scrap-Vamp is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I was a Brit in Disney Paris last December - tbh I found that with some CMs it does help to know basic French (I know a little more than basic from school) as they aren't all fluent in English. The ones who don't speak English (yes, there are a few) generally spoke Spanish as a second language - I don't know if you know any Spanish but if you do that is a bonus My DF lived in Spain for six years and I was ill when we were there - he speaks very little French so when I couldn't speak to this one CM for us he asked if she spoke Spanish which she did and we were fine

I found it great fun being able to have conversations partly in French, partly in English and partly using gestures - and we were totally able to understand each other this way
    Jen xXx

urgle_wurgle is offline A-Ticket holder
    i do know a little french... but the CMs are so helpful i could've got away with not knowing ANYTHING i guess... make sure you know please, thankyou, excuse me, sorry etc. (not that many OTHER people used them... but *i* always do... and always come back saying "scusi" (sp?) whenever i bump into anyone...)

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I can remember reading somewhere ages ago that DLP CMs were required to be fluent in French and English. Tall-order? Yes, but obviously they've dropped that requirement over the years...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    If you're still open for suggestions on a one-day trip to Paris, I wouldn't miss Notre Dame cathedral if it could be helped.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Chantal is offline A-Ticket holder
    Most castmembers in Disneyland Resort Paris do speak English, however not everybody does. That's not a big problem, you just go and ask someone else or point at things you want. Most people can at least understand what you're saying, they often don't know how to respond to it.

You don't have to know a lot of French in Disneyland since most CM's are very helpful anyway. And it does help, if you begin with a little French like "Bonjour, ca va?" and then explain that you don't speak French. Do you speak English is in French: Est-ce que parlez-vous Anglais? And it really does help if you do that first. It breaks the ice a little bit. (Not sure if this is an English saying or it's just my Dutch - English translation)

You should take RER A to Paris from the Marne La Vallee railwaystation. You can take the subway very easily in Paris to go and see the Louvre, Notre Dame Cathedral and the Eiffeltower. I've been there last summer and it was great!

Vegitabeta is offline C-Ticket Holder
    You don't need to know French, pretty much everyone talks english because they are taught it from the age of 4. If you are coming to England you could come visit me! You'll love DLP, I think their castle is the best . Also, if you're going into the city, you should really aim for the Eiffel Tower (a great experience!) and the Arc de Triomphe (spelling?). There's also a shopping place one train stp from the DLP station, called Val d'Europe. If you like shopping, you should like it there .
    "The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow." It has such a lovely ring to it...-Captain Jack Sparrow
    Disneyland Resort Paris trip report and photos: Here

MousePad and Magical Mountain Member

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    If my memory serves me correctly,

"Je ne parles pas Francais" means "I don't speak French" and
    "Je ne comprends pas" means "I don't understand".

From 1st to 5th grade we learned Louisiana-French. I took it again in high school but I don't remember alot.
    Last edited by turkeymama; 10-27-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

Chantal is offline A-Ticket holder
    Your French is very good! Problem with different languages is, if you don't speak it often then you just forget!

Kimberly Button is offline A-Ticket holder
    When I visited Paris and Disneyland Paris several years ago, I only had a small French phrase book and I never used it except to order stamps at the post office. We had no problems speaking with everyone, especially at Disneyland Paris.

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I speak both french and english and have been to France several times - I think it is always good manners to know at least a little of the native tongue when you are visiting foreign countries. American tourists often get bad reps because they just assume everyone speaks english. A warmer reception is almost guarenteed if you attempt a little french - even if it sounds terrible!
    Try this
    Bonjour, je suis Americaine. Je ne parle pas francais trop bien. Parlez -vous anglais?

Hello - I am american. I do not speak french too well. Do you speak english?

some other good phrases:
    Comment ca va? = how are you
    Je voudrais... = I would like..insert item here
    Ou est le WC? = Where is the bathroom?
    Quel heure et il = What time is it?
    S'il vous plait = please
    Merci = Thankyou
    De rien = You are welcome

Have fun!!!
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    It does help if you speak a little French or any other Europen language. Many cast members speak English, but it's always more polite to make a stab at the local language. I cheated. I brought my daughter with me who speaks fairly fluent French. However we found it funny that if she spoke in French, they answered her in English. If she replied in English, they replied back in French. Somehow both parties understood each other.

I think the train system was mentioned before. We had to tranfer local trains as well when leaving Paris because we got on a train that ended before we got to DLP. Next time we'll take the direct train from London to DLP. We didn't know one existed till after we'd booked our Eurostar tickets.

Have a great trip. It does take about an hour, if I remember correctly, to get from Paris to DLP.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast