Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Other Disney Parks Discuss Tower of Terror to Disneyland Paris??!!! in the Disneyland and Other Disney Parks forums; Euro Disney Eyes $180 Mln 'Tower of Terror'-Source By Caroline Brothers (From Yahoo! news) (Note from Lou: Why they are still calling this Euro Disney I have no clue!) PARIS ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Tower of Terror to Disneyland Paris??!!!

Euro Disney Eyes $180 Mln 'Tower of Terror'-Source
    By Caroline Brothers

(From Yahoo! news)

(Note from Lou: Why they are still calling this Euro Disney I have no clue!)

PARIS (Reuters) - Euro Disney wants to use part of a planned rights issue to build a gut-wrenching new "Tower of Terror" ride that could cost some 150 million euros ($182.2 million), sources familiar with the situation said.
    The attraction, to be built at its second Paris theme park, would be similar to the Hollywood Tower Hotel attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

The French theme park operator is up against a Sept. 30 deadline to restructure its debt and its chairman, Andre Lacroix, has said he hopes to use part of the planned 250 million euro rights issue to fund "exciting new rides and attractions."

Building a Tower of Terror, a heart-stopping vertical drop in an elevator from the top of a tower, would be consistent with that strategy, sources told Reuters.

"It will either be the Tower of Terror or three smaller attractions," one source, who declined to be named, said on Tuesday. A second source said that of the two options, the tower was the most likely.

Euro Disney, the most visited tourist attraction in Europe, has to add novelties to its existing parks roughly once every three years, analysts say, to maintain interest and encourage its fans to return.

To that end it opened a second theme park, The Walt Disney Studios, next to the Magic Kingdom at its east-of-Paris site in spring 2002. But the new park has failed to draw in the crowds.

Instead, it has increased operating costs at a time when tourism has slumped following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks, driving Euro Disney to the brink of bankruptcy.

Euro Disney's 39 percent shareholder, the Walt Disney Co., has agreed to extend it fresh credit lines and waivers on some of the royalty payments it owes for use of the Mickey Mouse characters.

Euro Disney, surviving on temporary debt waivers from its banks, is counting on new attractions to revive its flagging fortunes. Visitors to the second theme park, which has only 10 attractions against 47 at the first, have complained that the new park lacks thrills.

Euro Disney was able to revitalize attendance at The Magic Kingdom with the construction of its Space Mountain ride, though shareholders still blanche at the 100 million euros it cost the company to construct it.

When Space Mountain was opened, former Chairman Philippe Bourguignon said that each new attraction drew about half a million more visitors, but that was in Euro Disney's early days.

With numbers now stabilizing at about 12.2 million a year, some analysts say bringing increasing the number of visitors will be a much tougher challenge.

Shares in Euro Disney, which have been grazing record lows amid debt talks that have been going on for a year, were trading on Tuesday at 0.24 euros. ($1=.8231 Euro)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Interesting article, Lou. I still call it Euro Disney too, but I still call Epcot, EPCOT!

My son has been to ED twice (spring and summer) and both times he said the crowds were minimal, but that was before the 2nd park though.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

huskybear is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I wonder...is the ED Space Mountain the same/similar to WDW, or is it more on the order of Rockin Rollercoaster...faster and with loops?

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    I still call it Euro Disney too, but I still call Epcot, EPCOT!
    Hmm... It's EPCOT for me as well, although my first time visiting EPCOT wasn't until 2000. I just remember Walt's presenetation of EPCOT on the wonderful world of Disney back in the late 70's.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by huskybear
    I wonder...is the ED Space Mountain the same/similar to WDW, or is it more on the order of Rockin Rollercoaster...faster and with loops?
    According to my son, ED SM shoots you up from a cannon very rapidly into the ride, rather than slowly like WDW SM. ED SM is more thrilling, but I do not think there are any loops, but I could be mistaken.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

NeedMagic is offline A-Ticket holder
    "Our" Space Mountain is more like RnR Coaster indeed. There are two loops. There is also a great soundtrack as in a movie, the music changes depending on where in the ride you are. There are 6 speakers for each seat!!! Only to make clear: the Space Mountain in DLRP is a completely different experience. That's why in my opinion they should have kept the name "Discovery Mountain" (as they first wanted).
    About ToT: we defenitly need some expansion for WDS. It is the smallest themepark ever! I think ToT would be great, but they need more than that!

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Can't wait to ride DLRP's Space Mountain!

Jonas_Swe is offline A-Ticket holder

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    (Note from Lou: Why they are still calling this Euro Disney I have no clue!)
    The resort (2 theme parks, 6 themed hotels, a campground and a shopping and entertainment complex) is called Disneyland Resort Paris.

But the company that owns DLRP is called Euro Disney SCA, and they are the ones that announce all the news on the Annual Shareholders Meeting.
    Jonas_Swe

2005: Walt Disney World - First Time!
    Wilderness Lodge - 10 days
    Boardwalk Inn - 10 Days
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'September 19, 2005 9:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=black> Countdown to my First WDW Vacation </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'WDW here I come!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>

Jonas_Swe is offline A-Ticket holder

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMagic
    "Our" Space Mountain is more like RnR Coaster indeed. There are two loops. There is also a great soundtrack as in a movie, the music changes depending on where in the ride you are. There are 6 speakers for each seat!!! Only to make clear: the Space Mountain in DLRP is a completely different experience. That's why in my opinion they should have kept the name "Discovery Mountain" (as they first wanted).
    About ToT: we defenitly need some expansion for WDS. It is the smallest themepark ever! I think ToT would be great, but they need more than that!
    DLRP's Space Mountain is awesome!
    On my first visit I went 12 times on it...

They are going to change the music and the visual experience of the ride for next year!

Instead of flying to the moon and back, you'll blast into a Supernova!
    Some spectacular holographic (3D-without-the-glasses) effects are in store for those who dare to try the new ride!

And now we have the Rock'n Rollercoaster Feat. Areosmith, as well...!
    I love the Disney thrill rides, not just because of the thrill, but for the awesome theming, that many thrill seekers tend to miss because they are just there for the ride...

I belive that WDS has to do something for next season, a Sunset Boulevard that ends with a Tower of Terror would be just perfect!
    Jonas_Swe

2005: Walt Disney World - First Time!
    Wilderness Lodge - 10 days
    Boardwalk Inn - 10 Days
    <Script language='Javascript'>var rndNum = Math.floor(Math.random() * 10000);eval("var CDTDate" + rndNum + " = 'September 19, 2005 9:00:00 AM EST';");document.writeln("<form name='CDTform" + rndNum + "' action='Javascript:void(0);'>");document.writeln(' <font size=2 color=black> Countdown to my First WDW Vacation </font><br>');document.writeln("<input type=text value='' size=40 name='WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII'>");document.writ eln("</form>");if (theFunction) theFunction += "var d = new Date();";else var theFunction = "var d = new Date();";theFunction += "var c = new Date('" + eval("CDTDate" + rndNum) + "');";theFunction += "var diff = (c - d)/1000;";theFunction += "var days = Math.floor(diff / 86400);";theFunction += "var rem = diff - (days * 86400);";theFunction += "var hours = Math.floor(rem / 3600);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (hours * 3600);";theFunction += "var minutes = Math.floor(rem / 60);";theFunction += "rem = rem - (minutes * 60);";theFunction += "var seconds = Math.floor(rem);";theFunction += "if ((days < 0) | (hours < 0) | (minutes < 0) | (seconds < 0)) ";theFunction += "var out = 'WDW here I come!';";theFunction += "else ";theFunction += "var out = ' ' + days + ' days ' + hours + ' hrs. ' + minutes + ' mins. ' + seconds + ' secs.';";theFunction += "document.forms.CDTform" + rndNum + ".elements.WrittenByJamesMVenglarikII.value = out;";setInterval(theFunction, 1000);</Script>