Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
In-Park Games Discuss Spotting Brits in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; I would like to preface this thread by saying I mean absolutely no offense to any of the fabulous disney fans across the pond, and that if I come across ...
    PulchraPuella is offline A-Ticket holder

Spotting Brits

I would like to preface this thread by saying I mean absolutely no offense to any of the fabulous disney fans across the pond, and that if I come across as a stupid american ninny, this reflects the opinion of only one. I hope you understand that this is only for fun, and that this small cultural difference is inconsequential, because it really is a small world after all....

Ok. After visiting disney world several times, one starts to notice a fashion trend of certain guests, more specifically British males. Now, I frankly really like this style, and wish american guys would learn to adapt to it, but for now, it has become a game for my sister and me in the parks to spot these visitors from the U.K. , which we call BRITAR (British Radar).

Some of the calling cards are

-Anything Adidas. shoes, shirts, whatever. Those three white stripes always signal something

-Capris. I have rarely if ever seen an american man wear this style of pant, but they are the perfect length, not too hot nor too cold- also I think they're really cute

-Soccer Jerseys (or football jerseys)- Nothing says I'm a sporty British guy than this popular look. The Great Britain store at Epcot is full of them.

-Hair Gel- to give your locks that spikey shape. But be careful, because you could confuse it with somebody from New Jersey

-Shirts that say "England"- this is pretty obvious

Again I want to say that I realize this does not apply to every Briton, but just a subtle trend I've noticed. If any posters from the U.K. wish to list some of the same types of things they've noticed about Americans, I would love to hear them.

tdf192 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Yeah we more experienced brit WDW fans also like to look out for other brits

the best thing is seeing unexperienced WDW travellers having no clue. It may seem mean but its really funny seeing the brits on holiday.

Not sure about the addidas stuff...

but one tell for older male brits is that they wear socks with their sandles.

Stitch's buddy is offline Hakuna Matata
    But be careful I am an American and i wear most Manchester United jersey ( i mix it up is Us national also) However i get many brits that will comment on the jersey

I FINISHED my first ever race, ToT 13Kand running it again in '09

** Please, Please excuse my grammatical and spelling errors. Correct me if I'm wrong.**

lizdarren41 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    As a Brit & a regular pond hopper I have to agree we do dress differently to our cousins stateside. I would have thought the easy way to spot a Brit in Florida would be to look t for people who are wearing shorts, short sleeved shirts no matter what the temperature or weather and sweating every time they step outside of an air conditioned building.
    The flip side to this question could be why do American males wear socks pulled up tight with sandles.
    On a more personal note I dislike soccer shirts been worn outside a soccer stadium, I do not think they make people look sporty but instead make them look loutish. This is only personal opinion due to the small number of people who tarnish the game with thuggish behaviour and giving the game a bad image. Apologies to any genuine footy fans out there if this upsets you.
    UK Disney Maniacs
    1991 off site
    1993 off site
    1995 Port Orleans
    1997 Carribean Beach
    1999 off site
    Had kids
    2003 off site
    2004 off site
    2006 off site
    2009 Port Orleans in October (yipee!!)

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    Quote Originally Posted by lizdarren41 View Post
    I would have thought the easy way to spot a Brit in Florida would be to look t for people who are wearing shorts, short sleeved shirts no matter what the temperature or weather and sweating every time they step outside of an air conditioned building.
    Not too sure about that one. I am used to the colder weather and do the same thing. I have never even brought a sweatshirt/pants down to WDW.
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

gembob is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by wdfan View Post
    Not too sure about that one. I am used to the colder weather and do the same thing. I have never even brought a sweatshirt/pants down to WDW.
    Aye you might be used to the cold weather but we are certainly not used to the hot weather!! It is the humidity that gets us Brits as it is pretty much none existant here!!!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I've enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, but the reverse can be said about Americans in London. While living in London, I could pick them out at 100 yards. Jeans and tennis shoes are a wardrobe staple for Americans, and the color and shade of our clothing is definitely different. Neither are wrong, just different.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

PulchraPuella is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I've enjoyed reading the comments on this thread, but the reverse can be said about Americans in London. While living in London, I could pick them out at 100 yards. Jeans and tennis shoes are a wardrobe staple for Americans, and the color and shade of our clothing is definitely different. Neither are wrong, just different.
    That's so funny you say that, because I was looking at some old pictures of my family when we visited the U.K., and I couldn't believe the getups we were wearing. I was only eight, so I can shift the blame to my mom, but was it necessary to only wear sweatshirts that said "America"? And our entire bottem halves were covered in blue jean, just as you said. lol.

Just out of curiosity, when do most Brits make the trip over? We were at the world over Christmas, and we saw quite a few, though summer seems to invite alot as well. I'm sure it just depends, but I would think that if one made such a long trip over, the length of the stay would be longer than for people who live closer by.
    "Henry, he did it again! Go over and give that neighbor of ours what for!" -The Carousel of Progress

The key is not just that it's a long flight, but most UK visitors get 3 weeks vacation. Plus, I've seen some pretty fantastic deals through Virgin Airways, especially while the dollar has been weak against the pound.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    On a more personal note I dislike soccer shirts been worn outside a soccer stadium, I do not think they make people look sporty but instead make them look loutish.

I agree and on the flip-side I think American guys older than their 20's look like total dorks when they wear NFL jerseys. They look like they're trying to be 12. All they need is the velcro light-up sneakers to complete their ensamble. (BTW: I'm an American guy in my 40's and I love NFL-football)

Caribbean Lady is offline Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas
    This sounds like fun! My family and I always love listening for different accents or people speaking in different languages.

It seems so impressive to hear someone speaking very quickly in let's say, Russian, but to foreigners, it's equally impressive hearing someone speak quickly in English! It's so fun to hear lots of different languages all in one place!
    tale as old as time...

It's official... I'm too far away from the Magic
    When you wish upon a star...

I remember taking myparents to WDW for their first trip to the States, and she spent the whole holiday asking any local she spoke to if they would speak slower as she couldn't understand them. I must admit though I live near York which is frequented by many U.S citizens and it does the heart good to listen to an American accent.
    UK Disney Maniacs
    1991 off site
    1993 off site
    1995 Port Orleans
    1997 Carribean Beach
    1999 off site
    Had kids
    2003 off site
    2004 off site
    2006 off site

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    I remember taking myparents to WDW for their first trip to the States, and she spent the whole holiday asking any local she spoke to if they would speak slower as she couldn't understand them. I must admit though I live near York which is frequented by many U.S citizens and it does the heart good to listen to an American accent.
    I've always wondered what american accents sound like to brits. I think english, irish, and scottish accents are sooo beautiful and imagine we must sound very course in comparison! What do you brits think of our yankee dialect?
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydarling View Post
    I've always wondered what american accents sound like to brits. I think english, irish, and scottish accents are sooo beautiful and imagine we must sound very course in comparison! What do you brits think of our yankee dialect?
    I struggle to tell one state accent from another, you all sound fantastic to me. I do however like the way Floridians say Walt Disney World Florida!!
    UK Disney Maniacs
    1991 off site
    1993 off site
    1995 Port Orleans
    1997 Carribean Beach
    1999 off site
    Had kids
    2003 off site
    2004 off site
    2006 off site

At Cirque last night, we sat next to a family who was speaking a language that neither my husband or I could pinpoint. It wasn't Russian or Polish, but it had a Slavic sound to it. Finally my curiosity got the better of me, and I had to ask where they were from. In perfect English she says, "Chicago". I had to have done a double take because she laughed. I said that I am from the Midwest and that she certainly didn't sound like she was from Chicago. She said she and her husband were born and raised in Chicago, but that they have strong Ukrainian ties. So it's not easy even for Americans to pinpoint another American's hometown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast