Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
In-Park Games Discuss The Magic Race (Amazing Race, Disney-style) in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; I'm not a fan of 'reality' shows, since I think they're far from reality, but I do like scavenger hunts. We have done several of these over the years, usually ...
    dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    I'm not a fan of 'reality' shows, since I think they're far from reality, but I do like scavenger hunts.
    We have done several of these over the years, usually just my wife and I. There are several factors that should be considered.
    1) You can not require teams to do activities that require the expenditure of money. Even pressed pennies can really add up at 51 cents a pop!
    2) A great thing to collect, that doesn't cost anything, is signatures! The cast members love being asked for their autograph. We just completed a scavenger hunt where we had to get the autographs of CMs that met certain criteria. For instance, a female boat captain, someone with the name of Walt, a bus driver that had worked for Disney more than 20 years, etc. This should not include character autographs.
    3) Some other ideas of things to collect are unique napkins, menus, swizzle sticks, foreign language brochures, fastpass tickets, or honorary driver's license.
    4) You can not disrupt the other guests experiences by your actions. For instance, taking pictures or talking in attractions, or running and knocking over people between attractions.
    5) If you have to travel between parks, you should be required to only use WDW transportation. This would serve as a test of your knowledge of the WDW transportation system. For instance, if you are at Epcot and need to go to Wide World of Sports, did you know you have to take a bus or boat to Disney-MGM Studios, and catch the WWoS bus there?
    6) It is a lot of hard work putting on one of these events, and requires a lot of help, and sometimes luck! We had to find the telephone number for Oscar's Super Service Station at Disney-MGM Studios, so we went over there, and could not find it anywhere! As it turned out, the phone number could only be found on the wrecker truck, which is normally sitting out in front of the station. Not the day we needed the number though! It had been temporarily moved out of harm's way, because of the hurricanes.
    7) Here's an article on the Passporter site about Scavenger Hunts, and some examples of past hunts:
    http://www.passporter.com/articles/hunts.htm
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

tiggerguy is offline WDWRadio.com Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm
    I hoping that as idea's are posted, we can design them so that the teams can complete the stage without too much officiating. For instance, in the proposed Stage 1, each leg requires either proof of completion (digital photo, picture pick-up, trivia answer, etc) or is required to find the location of a later stage (Miss Piggy leading to the Main Street shop).

I'm hoping to keep the amount of external officiating to a minumum, so that as many people as possible can participate. I also want to make sure the game can scale from just 2 people up to 50 people. This way even those who don't have large family gatherings in Disney could take the game and use it while in the park.

You actually need a lot of help to pull this off successfully. My rec.arts.disney group did this last year and are repeating it this year. They use at least 7 people to officiate.

It also takes them a good six months to come up with all the ground rules for it.

I will post a URL for it later if I can find it
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Well, to be honest, I had actually planned on handing out a DWT.com Scaveneger Hunt at the MegaMeet on Saturday at MouseFest, and would post the answers on the forums for hwen people returned (since this was my first time attending, and didn't have time to work out the logistics of a hunt like this).

However, I am still interested in setting one up, and would appreciate any help people could give (in addition to the AWESOME ideas and caveats listed here) in running it when the time comes!

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

carpedm is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the great suggestions.

I really agree with the rule that nothing in the game should interfere with other guests' experience. While it may not be our first time at the park, there is a fairly good chance that it is someone else's first time, and we would not want to do anything to detract from that.

Keep the ideas coming.

Stage 2 - Meet at the entrance to the Magic Kingdom

Leg 1: Detour - Find the two characters representing the United States in "it's a small world" a write down a description of them, or write down the name of the group that presents "Walt Disney's 20th century vision of the future" on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority.

Leg 2: Proceed to the location where you can buy a kitchen sink. Acquire an item proving you were there.

Leg 3: Proceed to SpaceShip Earth and determine what newspaper is being sold by a newsboy in the attraction.

Leg 4: Roadblock - Determine how many squirting elephants are at the end of Kali River Rapids.

Leg 5: Pit Stop - Find the shop in Animal Kingdom with a compass on the ceiling and an elephant representing one of the compass points.

Stage 3 - Meet at the Wilderness Lodge lobby

Leg 1- Proceed to the resort modeled after the Hotel Del Coronado in California. Acquire a resort map.

Leg 2- Roadblock: Determine how many triangular panels make up Spaceship Earth.

Leg 3- Proceed to the attraction containing a scene from Footlight Parade. Obtain a Japanese guide map for the park.

Leg 4- Detour: Obtain one FastPass from each park, or take a picture with a cast member who shares your name.

Leg 5- Pit Stop: The resort in Leg 1 features a character dinner. Proceed to the restaurant where you can have breakfast with this character.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    You may be interested in the RADP (Rec.Arts.Disney.Parks) version of this - http://www.tiggerfan.net/race/ has the info. "The 2004 Walt Disney World Great Race".

I did it when it was more of a scavenger hunt [several years ago] and boy was it exhaustive (but fun). The Disney transport only clause made routing... interesting.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    As you may have seen, if you subscribe to the DWT Newsletter, that is, I will be handing out at the MegaMouseMeet on Saturday, December 11th, a

Walt Disney World Discovery Challenge
    Scavenger Hunt

Most people never realize the little details that go into Walt Disney World that make it such a special, magical place. Take this Scavenger Hunt and discover some of WDWs hidden secrets, jokes, and little treasures. During the hunt, youll not only have fun, but probably learn a little more about WDW in the process. The Hunt is broken down by park to make the answers easier to find, with a fifth General category which can include answers from anywhere in WDW.

Answers will be available at the TriviaFest Meet and contest hosted by Lou Mongello on Monday, December 13, 2004 at the Disney-MGM Studios.

There are no rules, no prizes, no time limits... just fun!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Lou,

Would it possible for those of us who cannot attend Mousefest but will be in WDW prior to Mousefest, get a copy to do on our own?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    And could you have it ready before Thursday??? Please please please pleeeeeeeease!!!!!! My 8 year old would be all over a scavenger hunt.
    Last edited by WDW Donna; 10-25-2004 at 09:50 PM.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

lsutiger516 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    This is a great idea!!... I'm going to try this next time I go to WDW!
    lsutiger516

Check out my site at:

Four Parks. One World.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Well, I actually did it...well, not yet, but I have a 4-leg Race planned out, including Detours, Roadblocks, and Yields. After it is tested out, I'll be happy to provide anyone with a copy of the clue sheet. I even made little cards and enevlopes for them, too! If anyone's interested, let me know soon. You'll need about 2 people to play "Host" though...(that's my job!)
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

Olmec26- I would definitely like to see the clue sheet. Could you post it here? Also, let us know how things went and if you have any suggestions or changes for next time.

Thanks!

pixiedustdani is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile This is definitely possible!

Hi all! My husband surprised me when I got back from visiting family with an Amazing Race style game in WDW. We live pretty close to Disney so it was easy for him to create. He made up a race that took about 2 hours to complete and I was the only one doing it. He had all the clues in envelopes with him and he stayed with me the whole time. He didn't give me any help with any clues and he drove when they involved going to a new park but I had to give him all the directions to get to each place. It was so much fun! Since he was with me, he only gave me the next clue once I completed whatever task I had. It included a detour and a roadblock. The detour was either riding Test Track or drinking each flavor of Coke in Club Cool. The roadblock was a little word/number puzzle he created. There were other tasks too, I had to get a free chocolate from the Ghirardelli store in Downtown Disney. It ended w/ us arriving at a hotel and I received a key as a clue, it was to a room he got for the night. In the room was the last clue, which brought us to Boma in the Animal Kingdom Lodge, for dinner!

It was great and we both had so much fun! He even copied the look of the Amazing Race clues. I am in the process of creating one for him now. It is a great way to spend an afternoon or evening and a great way for a couple or a family to spend time together!

Hope this helps!

~Danielle

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    What a fun idea! I love Amazing Race. It would be a ball to do this at the world!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast