Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
In-Park Games Discuss The Magic Race (Amazing Race, Disney-style) in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; One idea my family has been tossing around is at our next family reunion, hold an Amazing Race (tm CBS) type event between couples. If you haven't seen the show, ...
    carpedm is offline A-Ticket holder

Lightbulb The Magic Race (Amazing Race, Disney-style)

One idea my family has been tossing around is at our next family reunion, hold an Amazing Race (tm CBS) type event between couples. If you haven't seen the show, the basic premise is that teams race around the world, getting clues at each leg and performing different types of tasks along the way to receive the clues.

In this case the "world" would be limited to WDW property.

I'm interested in hearing ideas about what kind of tasks and contests could be used. We wouldn't have the race consume the entire trip, rather just an hour or two per day.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by carpedm
    One idea my family has been tossing around is at our next family reunion, hold an Amazing Race (tm CBS) type event between couples. If you haven't seen the show, the basic premise is that teams race around the world, getting clues at each leg and performing different types of tasks along the way to receive the clues.

In this case the "world" would be limited to WDW property.

I'm interested in hearing ideas about what kind of tasks and contests could be used. We wouldn't have the race consume the entire trip, rather just an hour or two per day.

WOOHOO!! Another Amazing Race fan!! I love this show.

As far as doing this within WDW, I'm not sure. Would there be any part of your group not playing? LIke for the hour or two you play the game, could one person sit out? Then that person could be at certain areas and give out clues when each task is completed. I was going to suggest getting things from CMs, but then I don't know how they could hand out your clues.

For example...

Say your first clue is to get a HM Fastpass and once you get that you must head to Christmas Store in Liberty Square per the first clue. At the Christmas Shop one person could verify they have a HM FP for that day and give them their next clue to head to ToonTown. In Toontown, a roadblock. One person of each team gets their photo with Mickey. The little slip of paper you get is your proof of photo w/o buying it. Then the pit stop could the last person to check in at...Castle? Or whereever...

Make sense?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Hmmmm.... maybe something we can put together for MouseFest???

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

"A Detour is choice between two tasks..."

Detour idea for MGM...

Either ride the ToT *or* each person must eat an entire turkey leg.

Now if the lines are non-existant you be able to do ToT quicker, or if you are a fast eater you may be able to down an entire Turkey Leg. Your door hang with your picture number can be your proof of riding ToT.
    Amanda

That was pretty close to what I was thinking. We couldn't rely on CM's, but we could either give all the clues at the beginning and require proof that they hit each leg, or have the end of each leg somehow indicate the next stage (using anagrams, or something).

We would either have one couple act as the admins of the race, or each day a different couple would officiate that days leg. For the day the couple officiated, they could not loose their spot. So if they finished 3rd on the day before, they would start 3rd again on the next day.

Detour - Pin or Pen
    Trade for two Lanyard Edition pins, or get two character autographs.

Detour - Countries or Parks

Get a stamp from 6 different world showcase countries in Epcot, or get a pressed penny from the four theme parks.

Do you think you will be using any Yields or Fast Forwards? Or just Detours and Roadblocks?

I'd probably keep it at just Detours and Roadblocks for simplicity. I wish I was playing.

I like the idea of giving out all the clues in the beginning. You can make sure they do each leg in order by requiring them to get "dated" material like fastpasses, receipts, etc.

Detour....find and get picture/autograph of a specific character like *or* get 5 pictures/autographs of any characters. Team players must be in the photos.

Roadblock...one person must consume a Dole Whip.
    Amanda

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I love the Amazing Race! This is a great idea...too bad I never go with more then 2 people.

I don't think yields would work, but maybe Fast-Forwards. It would have to be something fairly difficult though.

The Dole Whip roadblock? I'd be all over that one.
    Last edited by carpedm; 10-01-2004 at 03:33 PM.

Stage 1 - Meet at the Boardwalk Lobby

Leg 1: Proceed from the Boardwalk lobby to the hat sized at 605 7/8. Provide proof that you were there.

Leg 2: Detour- Drop or Rock. Ride RnR and write down the parking level the coaster boards on, or ride ToT and write down the name of the inspector who last inspected the elevators on Oct 31, 1939.

Leg 3: Find the fountain with Miss Piggy. Make note of the statue, then proceed to the Magic Kingdom.

Leg 4: Roadblock- Each team member (over 13 years old) must get two FastPasses to two different attractions without doubling up (so if a team has 2 people over 13, this means 4 different attractions).

Leg 5: Pit Stop- Proceed to the Main Street store that specializes in what Miss Piggy was holding in her hand.

For the next stage, teams will leave the starting point in the order they arrived at the Pit Stop, spaced 5 minutes apart. No teams will be eliminated this way, and everyone stays in the running since the lead team will never get more than 5 minutes ahead to start.

Also note that the roadblock is modified to include all team members. I figured this would keep everyone involved.

What do you think?
    Last edited by carpedm; 10-02-2004 at 12:31 AM.

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Oh mi gosh! This sounds like sooo much fun! I am ready to go play too!!! I don't think my DH would be too keen on playing though. I do well enough to get to go to the world at least once a year!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Sounds great carpedm!!

I wanna play!!!!
    Amanda

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I'm REALLY linking this idea, and would love to do something like this, but it would definitely require the help of a bunch of people to pull it off I think.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

I hoping that as idea's are posted, we can design them so that the teams can complete the stage without too much officiating. For instance, in the proposed Stage 1, each leg requires either proof of completion (digital photo, picture pick-up, trivia answer, etc) or is required to find the location of a later stage (Miss Piggy leading to the Main Street shop).

I'm hoping to keep the amount of external officiating to a minumum, so that as many people as possible can participate. I also want to make sure the game can scale from just 2 people up to 50 people. This way even those who don't have large family gatherings in Disney could take the game and use it while in the park.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast