Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss Night & Attraction Photos w/o Flash in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; I just purchased a Canon PowerShot S3 IS as an upgrade to the A95 I had. So far I am pleased as it seems to have a few more features ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Night & Attraction Photos w/o Flash

I just purchased a Canon PowerShot S3 IS as an upgrade to the A95 I had. So far I am pleased as it seems to have a few more features than my A95 had. I also like the general feel of it over the A95. But I digress...

One of my passions is visiting Walt Disney World (as anyone who knows me on this forum already knows) and this passion, combined with the love of my 10 month old son who will be making his first trip to WDW in about 3 weeks is what pushed me to find a better camera.

A general photography dummy, my desire has always been to set a camera on Auto and point-and-click my way to photographs. Since my son was born though I've been starting to get more interested in some amature photography for scrapbooking his memories with wonderful shots. As such, I've found a few tutorial sites out there that have explained shutter speed, aperture and ISO to me in terms I understood a lot better than the camera manuals provided.

So... after all that babbling, let's get onto my question...

What I'm looking for is some suggestions on settings to take great shots at night around Disney to capture the lights on Main Street or on a specific ride/attraction.

Additionally I'd like some suggestions on how to best take photos inside of attractions using the lighting provided (i.e. theatrical lighting type situations) without the typical blurr problem found when trying to take a non-flash photo on "Auto". Anyone who's been to Disney knows that on almost every ride/attraction they allow photos... just not "flash photography". So I'd like to try to capture some shots of oh say the Carousel of Progress or Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Thanks in advance to any of you photography nuts who are also Disney nuts that can give me some help!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I don't have any tips, except to check out Tim Devine's forums at http://www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/index.php

The people there are very helpful and can give you tons of advice!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    I don't have any tips, except to check out Tim Devine's forums at http://www.themagicinpixels.com/forum/index.php

The people there are very helpful and can give you tons of advice!
    Thanks so much! I've posted my question there too!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Most new digital cameras will have different "scene" settings. Usually the dusk and/or night settings will use slower shutter speeds meaning it is better to use some sort of tripod and/or support to avoid camera shake resulting in blurry pics. Even with the new anti-shake technologies it is still better to use some type of support for those grrreat night pics at WDW.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    A tripod is a must for good, crisp night pictures. Doesn't have to be big either. Small is fine as long as you can rest it on something solid so the pictures don't get blurry. I can't recommend one because I'm still in the process of looking for one for my upcoming Disney trip.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/