Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss Use of a tripod in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; So I'm finally breaking down and bringing a tripod with us on our next trip. I'm so tired of ruining night pictures. I have a small 7" tripod but I ...
    Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Use of a tripod

So I'm finally breaking down and bringing a tripod with us on our next trip. I'm so tired of ruining night pictures. I have a small 7" tripod but I want to bring my full size this time. Have any of you used one for a small camera? If yes, what do you carry it around in?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    We used a very basic full size one (from target). It fits in our backpack without any issues.

keep the small one you have handy too. Great for use on top of trash cans and planters!

Closed, mine is 24".
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

timned88 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Use of a tripod

Velbon | Ultra LUXi-L Tripod with PHD-41Q 3-Way | ULTRA LUXIL
    I love it. A lot of folks on my site are using it and have called it "the official tripod of TMIP".
    Last edited by timned88; 03-15-2009 at 12:07 PM.

Tim Devine, owner of THE MAGIC IN PIXELS.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

That's the same one I have Tim. (But mine is blingy gold!!! )

It is small enough that it straps to the outside of my camera pack. And it is light enough that I barely know it is there.

I actually got harrassed about its diminuitive size while I was in Yosemite by some photographers with nicer, CF, $$$ tripods. Until I folded up to go back to the hotel that is. Then my folded down to 15 inches and their's were easily 24" long. Then they appreciated the size.

Another alternative to lugging it around all day is to get a locker. Stash the tripod and flash (if you have one) along with other stuff you don't need during the day, and stop by before sunset to grab your stuff (and stash your souvineers too). I've done this alot.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

let them harass all they want while they carry those big behemoths around. the velbon is small, lightweight, extends very tall, and works a treat when walking the parks and resorts. i love mine.

i took the pan/tilt head off mine (unscrew the center column until you see the s-c-r-e-w thread up and under the head, then just stick a screwdriver up there and twist the head off) and instead use the Manfrotto Grip Action (Pistol Grip) Ballhead.

I also recent got (and LOVE) the Manfrotto Jr. Elbow Bracket. Pricey but very stable when shooting vertical as it keeps your camera centered above the center axis instead of hanging off the side of the tripod.
    Last edited by timned88; 03-15-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Good input guys, thanks.

always glad to help. you ask, i'll answer!

I haven't seen that elbow bracket before. I might have to check that out. And I had no idea that the pan tilt could come off. The one thing that is cumbersome about the tripod is that PT head. I might have to look into getting a ball or that pistol grip head for it.

Just proves that you really do learn something new every day.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

i was not the biggest fan of the pan/tilt head but it does come off... might take a little muscle power but with a phillips head screwdriver and some patience, it comes off the top bolt, exposing the thread. you might need to get a bushing adapter because the bolt is smaller than the thread in the bottom of the pistol grip but they only cost about a buck or so. when i get home later i will see if i can find which one you would need... i recommended this to a friend awhile back and might still have the email.

Excellent, Thanks Tim

BigAl_PT is offline A-Ticket holder

I bought one of those bendable tripods that can wrap around railings and posts as well as standing on 3 legs on top of garbage cans. It worked well. I never got so many good nighttime shots as I did this past January.

CyclingMickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

Anytime you can keep that camera steady, your pictures will get sharper. THose bendable ones are convenient to carry around.
    Producer of the Enhanced DSIs found in the WDW Radio download section

My Photos

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

Even though I hate using a tripod I have on occasion used this one. Amazon.com: Velbon Ultra Maxi F Tripod with 4-Way Pan Head: Camera & Photo

It's very light and compact. So compact it fits in the bottom of my bag. I shoot with a Nikon D200 and some heavy Nikon lenses and this does the trick at a reasonable price.

BigAl_PT is offline A-Ticket holder

Quote Originally Posted by CyclingMickey View Post
    Anytime you can keep that camera steady, your pictures will get sharper. THose bendable ones are convenient to carry around.
    DEfinitely. We don't have a HUGE camera, just a nice point and shoot. So I wanted a pretty small tripod that was easy to use and transport. That was DEFINITELY the way to go.