Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss TMI alert! ~Can the Ratings on Photos be turned off?~ in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; I (unfortunately) am very **** about my photography... and someone named anonymous keeps giving my photos very low scores- TMI alert: Being rated is why I stopped sharing my photographs ...
    tiggerwannabe is offline ~Disney is my Therapy~

Unhappy TMI alert! ~Can the Ratings on Photos be turned off?~

I (unfortunately) am very **** about my photography...
    and someone named anonymous keeps giving my photos very low scores-

TMI alert:

Being rated is why I stopped sharing my photographs with my own family and it really bugs me to be rated so low, by someone who chooses not to reveal themself.

Lou,

I know you can help-I tried to turn off the ratings myself and haven't found the way...it's funny how good scores can make me so unbelieveable happy and low scores completely crush me.

Sorry - if this seems too personal.
    °O° cj/nj °O°

°O°The Key to Happiness is Self Delusion°O°

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I hate it too. Getting a score of a 1 from someone that is not even a registered member is very disheartening. Even more so when it is a picture of yourself...are they rating you or the photo?

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    why be so reliant on someone elses opinion? if you aren't happy with yourself and what you do, then how can you expect others to be happy with you and what you do?

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    It would be nice to get rid of the rating of photos.

flutter is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    why be so reliant on someone elses opinion? if you aren't happy with yourself and what you do, then how can you expect others to be happy with you and what you do?
    I guess everyone can't be as confident as you must be.....I think it is insulting and hurtful to give someone a low rating on their photos they have chosen to share with us... I also think the photo rating should be done away with.

ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland
    I can see how something like this could hurt a person, but I would suggest forget about those few who give you bad scores.

I would not like to see the rating system go; if there was a way to make it so a person had to be registered to leave a rating that would be good.

I quickly scanned the first 10 pages of your photos; 120 total. 90% plus have absolutely no ratings at all. I saw one 2 rating, a couple 5/6, and the rest were 7 and above. Overall, I would say that is pretty good.

The main problem is not that we have a rating system, it is that it is so little used. A single rating of 2 comes out as a 2 on the screen. But let say one person voted 2 and another 4 said 10 - that would yield an average of 8.

So, instead of dismantleing the system I would like to encourage everyone to use the system and rate - rate - rate. Let's get the depth up and leave the childish in our dust.

Again, I think making a person be registered is a good idea. But GO RATE! And even leave a comment about what you liked.

RU

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

ru42 is offline Disneyland/Photo Moderator - DWT West Coast Division
    30 minutes from my front door to Mickey's front door; Disneyland
    Side Note:

I looked at the past weeks submissions. 8 pages of pictures and only one has been rated.

So - here is an idea to get things rolling - follow this link and start leaving rating and comments. Tell what you like about a picture. Also, if you think something could improve a picture, feel free to state it in a polite way.

I am by no means a professional photographer. But I do know some and I like it when they critique my pictures. I know they do not do it to be mean but to help me.

So - what are you waiting for....
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/pho...=last7&forcat=

RU

Check out my new DVDs on MY NEW SITE

flutter is offline Moderator
    I agree a little constructive criticism is good..I don't however think it is helpful to rate a photo with a lower mark and not give some kind of reason (in a nice way) why you rated it as such. Especially if you don't even leave your name. If I want to be rated on my pictures I put them in a contest.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Well, I have to say that I have received a number of complains from users who are unhappy about low ratings on some of their photos which are clearly of a high quality. Can it be that someone (more than one?) person/people are purposely rating photos low? Maybe so. Why? I can't say for sure.

However, in light of recent complaints, I have turned off the ratings of photos until I am satisfied with a software upgrade that will allow the person's name who rated the photo to be viewed at the very least. This way, if someone posts a bad rating, you will at the very least have to take credit/blame for your review.

I only think this is fair at this time. I am of course always open to suggestions. I hope this also encourages more people to share their photos with the rest of the DWT Family.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i enjoy giving pictures of myself low ratings to keep my ego in check.

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    treat em how you want to be treated tigger... and I doubt you want your opinion stifled.

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    so does this mean there are NO ratings for anyone anymore?
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

I do not have a problem with how people rate pictures, but I agree with Lou's action to make it so the person who rates must be identified. Why bother rating any picture if you aren't willing to take responsibility for it??? I enjoy looking at and rating people's pictures so hopefully it will be back in working order soon!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Also, it should be noted that you can still post comments about the photos if you like
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

tiggerwannabe is offline ~Disney is my Therapy~
    You all are so very insightful...

I do appreciate the extra step you took last night Lou~thank you.

I also agree with those who recommended that only registered users be able to rate.

My issue is as one said, I take pride in my photos and enjoy sharing them. I never asked for them to be judged.

I did feel that at least one low rating was someone being spiteful-

If I am to be judged negatively, I DO want to know why.

Comments are always welcome in my world, criticism is not.

I share what I feel and am hurt when my feelings get stepped on.

This whole thread has been about comments, and I welcome and appreciate all that you have shared with me.

Thank you,
    °O° cj/nj °O°

°O°The Key to Happiness is Self Delusion°O°

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast