Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By supernova
  • 1 Post By HauntedGabe
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss The Making of Space Mountain in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; I've seen only a few of these photo's over the years. Impressive. Preparing Space Mountain for blast off! Behind the scenes photos show building of Disney World's most iconic rollercoaster ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

The Making of Space Mountain

I've seen only a few of these photo's over the years. Impressive.

Preparing Space Mountain for blast off! Behind the scenes photos show building of Disney World's most iconic rollercoaster ride

Preparing to blast off: Pictures of the construction of Disney World's Space Mountain | Mail Online

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Re: The Making of Space Mountain

Loved the pictures! Didn't have time to watch the video. I will have to try that soon.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Who's "Walk Disney"? Silly Brits.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

1974-1975? So why the helI does it take three years to build the mine coaster?
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The 300 foot base of Space alone took two years to build.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 06-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    1974-1975? So why the helI does it take three years to build the mine coaster?
    Well it took around 3 years to build Sears/Willis Tower in Chicago that is 2 square blocks and 101 acres, with a foundation and floor slabs with 2,000,000 cubic feet of concrete, enough to build an eight lane highway, 5 miles long but Disney is building a mountain in relatively the same time-frame, so Disney is right on schedule 'cause they are building a mountain!

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Please name similar rides and the time frames it took to build them instead of making these ignorant comparisons.

Once again, the base for Space itself took two years to construct. Just the base:

"The cone shaped peak of Space Mountain is 183 feet above ground. Space Mountain measures 4,508,500 cubic feet -- capable of holding a small skyscraper inside. The base's diameter of 300 feet took two years to build. The basic structure of the mountain is composed of great ribbed slopes -- 72 massive pre-stressed concrete beams forming a gigantic sealed cone. Each of the 74-ton concrete beams was cast near the Space Mountain site and then hoisted into place by mammoth cranes to complete the cone. Each beam is 117 feet long, 13 feet wide at the bottom and 4 feet wide at the top."

Space Mountain Magic Kingdom

Splash Mountain also took two years to build.

Please, folks. Do a little homework before making these foolish comments.
    Last edited by Mo Noyz; 07-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Well it took around 3 years to build Sears/Willis Tower in Chicago that is 2 square blocks and 101 acres, with a foundation and floor slabs with 2,000,000 cubic feet of concrete, enough to build an eight lane highway, 5 miles long but Disney is building a mountain in relatively the same time-frame, so Disney is right on schedule 'cause they are building a mountain!
    Took 'em 4 & 5 years to build not one, but TWO buildings at the World Trade Center. So why are we into 2013 and we're still building one single building?

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Took 'em 4 & 5 years to build not one, but TWO buildings at the World Trade Center. So why are we into 2013 and we're still building one single building?
    Well that is two foundations, Sears/Willis Tower has many floors beneath ground level in its two square blocks but you win WTC had two completely different foundations to build upon. Sears/Willis, and WTC Towers were built in the same era as Space Mountain too.

But to answer your question Disney is doing the FLE expansion in the cheapest, most cost efficient way. When Disney was interested in bringing attractions online quickly as Universal Orlando Parks are doing now, they had large crews working 2 and 3 shifts. You can see in old Disney construction photo's, the amount of workers per attractions vs how few FLE including Dwarf. It is cheaper for Disney to do it this way. Remember how long it took for Disney to build the Tangled Toilets, almost 2 years and took forever to demo the area. But more importantly Disney can budget the FLE and Dwarf over many, many years. Building Contractors are paid in installments per Phase, paying off the phases over many budget years. Flip side: In 12 months, Soundstage 44 was demo'd and a new building and attraction opened, guests are visiting the attraction. Tangled bathrooms took almost twice the amount of months as Transformers. Universal committed funds to the Transformer project. If Universal spread the funds out over three years, well Universal would be in the same predicament.

Both Disney and Universal had announcements on New Years 2012, Disney one more day Leap and Universal announced the new London expansion for HP with rides, shows, restaurants and shops. London, like FLE is a complete expansion, Universal is just financially motivated to complete entire expansions in a timely fashion. Likely the entire HP expansion will take a similar amount of time to build as the just the final phase of FLE, Dwarf Mountain. Same philosophy can be said for Avatar, they are moving incredibly slow and pushing off when it will go online and nobody even knows if it will be a complete, full expansion or a one ride wonder like the AK, Asia expansion, Everest. So because Disney has chosen to drag FLE out for so long guests receive little morsel announcements, like last weeks 4 day tease...the first train car arrived with a cast photo op. Likely these morsel announcements will continue for another year throughout the Dwarf Mountain construction. Disney already stated they have nothing to announce at D23 so this seems to be it for the time-being.
    supernova likes this.