Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss Another tradition coming to and end at the MK in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; The beginning of construction work has begun on Main Street USA in Florida. The Curbs we have all sat upon on Main Street are being removed in favor of flat ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Another tradition coming to and end at the MK

The beginning of construction work has begun on Main Street USA in Florida. The Curbs we have all sat upon on Main Street are being removed in favor of flat but pitched surface. The new Main Steet is said to be designed to lead up level to store entrances and pitched to to the center of the street to leave the trolley rail in place however it isn't clear if both tracks or one track will remain and also the pitching will allow for the current draining system to continue.

So pictures like this will soon end.

No more tushies on the curb

Picture "The Spot" or Lou's "Family" Photo Album Challenge

For now the initial plan is to have the curbs removed from Town Square to Center Street by the end of September. No word about curb removal for the balance of Main Street.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Another tradition coming to and end at the MK

With so many pesky strollers and EVCs crowding up the streets, I can see where pitched curbs would be helpful to the public. Easier access to shops, without having to start at the end by an entrance ramp and then taking the sidewalk all the way to the shop you want.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

We can still do the pic there, just a flatter surface. Hopefully they finally get it done this time as they really need to with all the wheeled devices in the parks. Been hearing they will do this for 10+ years now.

Yeah, who ever heard of curbs and sidewalks on Main Street USA anyhow? Where else in America does one sit on a curb and watch a parade?

Disney has the opportunity to do this well if they follow the Be Our Guest welcome drawings depiction of Main Street. We have concrete stamped and died brick in the center of our little Hamlet. Curious to see how Disney themes this project.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-05-2013 at 10:29 PM.
    supernova likes this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic View Post
    We can still do the pic there, just a flatter surface. Hopefully they finally get it done this time as they really need to with all the wheeled devices in the parks. Been hearing they will do this for 10+ years now.

I did strollers starting 25 years ago. (Wooba) And did strollers for 10 years straight (the joys of spreading your children out over the years.) There were always tons of strollers in the parks. The Carts, no, but there were tons of wheelchairs. People used wheelchairs back then for kids before they intro'd double strollers. We rented a chair once when my DD was hurt at AKL during our trip, bubble in carpet in resort room. We never had any issues with the curbs, there was always ramps by the doors.

Wonder if this is the look they will be going for. Couldn't be exact because "this" was designed with the entrances to buildings being level to the street, but the general look could work. You just can't sit on the curb to wait for/watch the parade.

credit: The Theme Park Guy .com

Maybe next we could have a roof too?

Construction on the curbs has begun with photo's from Mice Chat Dateline:

More tidbits from Dateline blog

MiceChat - Dateline Disney World, Magic Kingdom, Walt Disney World - New Signs and Construction at the Magic Kingdom

I just looked at more pictures like the above. These half construction walls take up about half the sidewalk.
    Getting past the knee jerk initial reaction, I now wonder why they would do this in the middle of the summer.
    Parade viewing areas harder to come by during high times and Main St tends to be congested enough already during the summer.

Why not September? Far less crowded then. Makes you think there is more to this than ADA accessibility and maybe there is something else that will follow this prep work.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

For as long as it may take, they might have to start now not to disturb the busier holiday crowds. They did miss a good opportunity to do it at the Bakery while it was down for rehab.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic View Post
    For as long as it may take, they might have to start now not to disturb the busier holiday crowds. They did miss a good opportunity to do it at the Bakery while it was down for rehab.
    Good point. They sure did. Unless something else is hinged to this project this could be done during any off season.

Due to concrete replacement work near the Emporium corner of Main Street, U.S.A.; Main Street vehicles are not currently operating. Move it Shake It times have been whittled down too.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I'm sure things will turn out fine. After a little while, you won't even notice. I kinda like the idea of it because when you're trying to get out at the end of the day, you won't get shoved off the curb and almost snap your ankle in two!

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

I guess I am a road warrior. I've never been knocked off the sidewalk, never had an issue getting into any Main Street establishment with a stroller or two, pushed a real, old fashioned wheelchair and was able to navigate Main Street. The ADA ramps every few feet worked fine for me and mine. A sign of the times it seems.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I guess I am a road warrior. I've never been knocked off the sidewalk, never had an issue getting into any Main Street establishment with a stroller or two, pushed a real, old fashioned wheelchair and was able to navigate Main Street. The ADA ramps every few feet worked fine for me and mine. A sign of the times it seems.
    Yep. Nothin' but ADA CYA.
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

As Pooh would say, Oh Bother!

Nor have I embraced the flattened area around the Castle either. No trees just concrete. Not like the Main Street in my head.

So much for Disney going green. Wonder if the Sidewalk trees will go bye bye now too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast