Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Photo Gallery and Contests Discuss Digital Photo Editing in the Multimedia - Audio, Video, Photos and more! forums; Is anyone else into digital photo editing? I notice that a lot of people post pics here, and although some are still film scans, it appears that most folk are ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Digital Photo Editing

Is anyone else into digital photo editing?

I notice that a lot of people post pics here, and although some are still film scans, it appears that most folk are keeping up with the times and going digital. I myself went digital about 3 years ago, and keep trying to update and improve on my equipment and skills. I finally got a good quality camera (well, good for a point and shoot compact, that is. can't afford an SLR yet), and soon after discovered that I can take digital photography one step further with digital editing. I've had some fun with some editing programs in the past, but pretty much everything i've used has had some drawback. One might be good for say cropping and resixing, but didn't provide enough in terms of effects. Another might be good in effects, but not provide the ability to work in layers. I've used probably six or seven different programs, some that came installed on my system, others i've downloaded, but nothing has ever offered me a good, all-in-one package. I know there are some good quality, professional programs available for purchase such as Adobe Photoshop, but not only is that a pricey program, but it also doesn't run well on my computer (it has a mind of its own sometimes).

I'm currently using a combination of two programs, Irfanview and Serif PhotoPlus, and although I'm getting decent results, it is sometimes very difficult and/or confusing trying to get the results I'm after. I'm new to Serif Photoplus, and I'm certain that program offers more than I am able to milk out of it right now, and seeing as I'm too broke to buy a professional program like Photoshop, I'm hoping maybe someone else out there has a good knowledge of programs like PhotoPlus and might be able to give me some pointers, or perhaps head me in the direction of a good program they like to use.

Here's a thumbnailed example of the kind of work I like to do. This is a picture I put together just the other day actually, and after I saved it, I discovered a couple things about it that I wanted to do differently. But in order to do this picture over, it will take me at least a full hour, if not more, of wrestling with PhotoPlus. Is there anyone out there who has experience with PhotoPlus, or knows of another program that can create these kinds of images with less difficulty?

I'm sure with this many of us out there taking pics, there has to be someone else who is into this kind of thing.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

I love PhotoShoping
    Well I'll be hoho, It's the Blue Fairy

"See it in your mind and you can find in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams, Dreams are make believe, but could they all come true?"

I love Fantasmic!

The ONE and only= Mickeywanna on VMK!!

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I do most of my work in Photoshop as well.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I do all my work in Adobe Photoshop, but I'm not as skilled as some.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I tried to install photoshop on my computer once, only to have it not work. I wish it would. I understand it is kind of the industry standard. I do have Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition, which is great for one-touch fixes and enhancing colors and such, but doesn't do anything in terms of actually creating something new from an existing photograph. I need to use a combination of programs for that. It's frustrating sometimes.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

A feel ya man! LOL!
    Well I'll be hoho, It's the Blue Fairy

"See it in your mind and you can find in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams, Dreams are make believe, but could they all come true?"

I love Fantasmic!

The ONE and only= Mickeywanna on VMK!!

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    The reason that some people use and love Photoshop is because of the way it allows you to edit images. Unlike other programs where you make changes directly to the image, Photoshop allows you to create a transparent layer above your image and make the changes to that layer. It's similar to the way that Walt made his cartoons with transparency sheets.

At $650+, Photoshop is difficult to afford - however there is a way to get around the price-hike of most stores: Educational Discounts

If you know anyone currently enrolled in college, you could ask them to purchase Photoshop at an educational discount and then "sell" the software to you at cost. This process cuts the price of Photoshop down from $650 to $300, and it's perfectly legal. Most college campus bookstores may also have a copy of Photoshop available at even greater discounted prices.

I've played around with a lot of different image editing tools, but I haven't found any that really allow the flexibility of PhotoShop -- at least for Windows. However GIMP is an open source alternative if you're using linux.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Nice to see you Capt'n Jack
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    PHOTOSHOP ROCKS!!! btw ppl, if you get Photoshop Elements, it is only like 95 bucks, and as far as i'm concerned, I think that you aren't missing anything that is worth at least 500 bucks
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    i have Microsoft digital image suite 9
    i'm satisfied with it
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

timned88 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I am a photshop guy as well...

i dont do a lot of compositing and such but i retouch and process all of my raw images in PSCS2.

Tim Devine, owner of THE MAGIC IN PIXELS.