Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss Getting Started in the Disneyana forums; For years now I've been tempted to start collecting Disney pins. Every time I go to the park I walk past the booths filled with pins and see folks all ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Red face Getting Started

For years now I've been tempted to start collecting Disney pins. Every time I go to the park I walk past the booths filled with pins and see folks all over the place with the lanyard on. I kept saying "nooooooo I can't start this, it'll end up costing me way too much" because frankly I have an addictive personality. But, with that said, my husband has started to collect RC toys which cost a heck of a lot more than a pin, so I think on this trip I'm going to give in and start.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to start along with some general info on how all this works. You don't HAVE to trade pins do you? I mean if someone wants a pin that I simply don't want to part with... is that wrong of me? LOL! Any general info (and warnings to stop before I start LOL) would be fantabulous.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Limit yourself by picking a theme. I collect only stitch pins. Unfortunately he has a lot of pins. Pick a character, or collect ones that are for rides, or do only hotels. It helps you keep that cost down and is fun to hunt for pins that fit your theme.

Jenn, we purchase a lanyard each trip for each of the boys and buy the pins that pertain to what they are really into that particular trip. Parker's from 2006 is basically filled with Star Wars pins since we were there for Star Wars Weekends. I also try to buy a pin for each of them showing the year (on the front) and the resort that we stayed at. Plus, if there is a new ride that Parker has riden for the first time since our last trip (meaning he was tall enough for the height restrictions) I would always buy a pin to signify that as well. Tanner's lanyard usually has some from his favorite rides during that trip or his favorite character that he's into at the time.

Also...if you do want a couple of pins to trade, buy one of the lanyards that comes as a starter kit with a few pins on it. That way those won't be as difficult to part with. Or if you have time to go to one of the outlet stores...you can sometimes find some good deals on pins for trading.

Those are both fantastic ideas!! Aaron is a little young to be wearing a lanyard but maybe I'll start two collections. One for Aaron and one for me. Since this is Aaron's first trip maybe I'll theme it as a Nemo collection for him since he loves fish so much at this point in his life. Me, maybe I'll collect anything to do with the parks etc. Hmmm!! Ok got me thinking girls thank you!!

Funny, btw, that no one responded saying "nooo don't do it!" LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

GrmGrnningGhost is offline Friends Call Me Snow Miser...
    Like Stitch said, go for a theme on your pins. My theme of pins are rides, resorts, transportation, and anything WDW related. I try to get a pin for every thing I have done at WDW, so my lanyard is basically a check list of things, lol.

A smart thing to do if you want to get into trading, buy other pins that may not go with your theme and trade them off to other pin traders or CM's so you can get a certain you might want but cant find.
    Josh

The happy haunts have received your simpathetic vibrations, and are begining to materialize.They're assembling for a swinging wake,and they will be expecting me.I will see you all a little later

I'm Mister White Christmas
    I'm Mister Snow
    I'm Mister Icicle
    I'm Mister Ten Below
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i started collecting pins since i was real little..the only thing with me is i do not trade and do not have a lanyard. I get a few pins each trip and in my disney themed guest bedroom i have a large glass case and i put them in there. I have foam type material in there and stick my pins on them. I actally have 3 large cases because i have so many. Everyone that walks in there spends so much time just looking at ALL of my pins.
    shannon

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    That's the point where I want to be. I would love to have a huge collection. I'm also just starting, so I'm gonna do all I can.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Mine our in frames and when I get a place they will be hung on the wall.

flutter is offline Moderator
    I tried to avoid the whole pin thing..didn't work very well. I don't trade pins but have bought some....I should have picked a theme, instead I just buy ones that I really like. I have some Annual Passholders pins, some rides ones...Eeyore ones ofcourse, a couple of nurse Minnies...and my favorite at the moment "I love Jack" pin with Capt Jack Sparrow in smaller letters hanging below it. I also got a coool Haunted Mansion one in Dec with the ballroom table and characters around it, and the hidden Mickey is there

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    For years now I've been tempted to start collecting Disney pins. Every time I go to the park I walk past the booths filled with pins and see folks all over the place with the lanyard on. I kept saying "nooooooo I can't start this, it'll end up costing me way too much" because frankly I have an addictive personality. But, with that said, my husband has started to collect RC toys which cost a heck of a lot more than a pin, so I think on this trip I'm going to give in and start.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to start along with some general info on how all this works. You don't HAVE to trade pins do you? I mean if someone wants a pin that I simply don't want to part with... is that wrong of me? LOL! Any general info (and warnings to stop before I start LOL) would be fantabulous.

These are all good suggestions! I myself have a pin addiction. I started out in 04 during our honeymoon, with our resort package, we were given a coupon for a free lanyard with a few starter pins. I liked it, but was not going to start this hobby. Well, a mistake by Debbie was to say, "Why don't You collect them?" and the rest is history. With My addiction, I have now collected over 400 pins and can't stop! I have now since december's trip, forced Myself to only buy pins that have Mickey on them and nothing else. I am a DVC and Annual passholder, which allows me to purchase exclusive pins from each membership. Well I have been buying all of those that are available too. But as others have mentioned, just pick one theme, (Character, Park, Attraction, Etc.), and stay with that. It is alot of fun.
    I myself am not a trader, because I only purchase pins that I like for my collection, but besides buying the starter sets, Which is a great idea, I go on ebay and find anyone selling lots of pins, they usually sell from 10 in a lot up to as many lots that You want to purchase. The reason this is good is that You are getting pins that don't interest You, and You can pay about 2.70 - $4.00 per pin, instead of buying off the rack at disney for $6.50- 10.50 and trading them away.
    When and only if You want to trade with the Cast Members, they will trade up to 2 pins at a time with You, You will choose both which to take and which to give, so it is totally up to You! The only acception is that You can not trade a pin with them that is already on there lanyard, which happens with the pins that are on the prepackaged lanyards that come with pins. Someone who has the same lanyard may have gotten to the Cast Member ahead of you. But I tell You, this is really alot of fun! You find Yourself hunting down Cast Members just to see there pins. It gives you an added fun time when You hit the parks.
    Whatever You choose, good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.

Well it's official... I've started... I have three collections that I've begun now.

#1 - Nemo pins (for my son who is a Nemo nut)
    #2 - Mickey pins (for me who is a Mickey nut)
    #3 - WDW Park/Resort/Attraction Pins

I bought just a few while I was on-site and then came home and discovered eBay has soooo many. I've bought like 15 in the last 2 days. LOL! Thanks again for the suggestions folks!!

MickeyspalJim is offline Fastpass Holder
    Great! Just stick to Your favorites and You will Have so much fun. Congratulations
    11 Pre-DVC Trips to WDW 8-1978 through 12-2006.

Our DVC/Disney Resort trips have been:

Trip #1 (Jan 31-Feb 5-07) SSR. Studio.
    Trip #2 (May 1- 8-07) OKW. Studio.
    Trip #3 (June 26-July 1-07) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #4 (Sept 16-21-07) OKW. 1 & 2 Bdrm.
    Trip #5 (Nov 29-Dec 3-07) AKL.
    Trip #6 (Jan 26-Feb 2-08) AKL. Studio.
    Trip #7 (April 12-18-08) SSR. 1 Bdrm.
    Trip #8 (May 23-27-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 9(May 27-30-08) OKW. Studio.
    Trip # 10(Sept 10-17-08) BWV. Studio
    Trip # 11 (Nov 15-21-08) VWL. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 12 (Dec 19-21-08) SSR. Studio.
    Trip # 13(Feb 1-6-09) SSR. 2 Bdrm.
    Trip # 14(Feb 27-Mar 1-09) AKV Studio
    Trip # 15(Apr 30-May 8-09) ASR Movies-1 nite, PO Riverside- 4 nites, SSR Studio 3 nites
    Trip # 16(July 6th-10th-09)Pop Century
    Trip # 17(Sept 18th-24th-2009)Pop Century
    Trip #18(Oct 10th-16th 2009) ASR Music-1 nite, SSR Treehouses 5 nites
    Trip #19(Jan 20th-26th 2010) OKW-4 nites, Bch Club Studio Villa 2 nites
    Trip #20(Apr 23rd-26th 2010) Caribbean Beach Resort
    Trip #21(June 18th-25th 2010) POR 2 nites, SSR 2bdrm Villa 5 Nites.