Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Pin Trading Discuss Tips for getting started in the Disneyana forums; I'm hoping to do some pin trading on my upcoming trip. Anybody have any tips to have a good experience with pin trading?...
    Kheprismom is offline A-Ticket holder

Tips for getting started

I'm hoping to do some pin trading on my upcoming trip. Anybody have any tips to have a good experience with pin trading?

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Well I'm not sure what everyone's opinion on this subject is but when we went in Sept last year we got bit by the pin trading bug and didn't want to spend $8 on pins to trade so we bought the cute character sets at DTD to trade at the parks. Its 6-7 pins for $25-$30. You can order them from WDW/DL before you go. Shipping is like $10 and it takes about a week. I think they have a section on the WDW site about pin trading and you can search for cute characters and get the sku numbers and how to order (ie phone number). If you need help I can find the link.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You can start simple - a lanyard and a couple of Disney pins are all you need. Start by trading with Cast Members to get the hang of it - they are required to trade with you. Basically, you ask if you can see their pins. They will show you their collection, and if you see one that you would like to trade for, you tell them which one. They will remove it from their lanyard, you remove your trader from yours, and you swap. I think the biggest 'rules' are that they must be Disney pins (have ęDisney on the back), one pin for one pin, and that you should not touch the other person's lanyard.

Have fun!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

So do most people try to stay within a category like a favourite character or just go with what looks good. I have no idea how to judge the value of the pins but think I just want to do it to meet people.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    It's really up to you. Personally I like to collect pins more than trade, and I try to stick to the resorts I've stayed at and special events. My daughter goes for character pins, and she'll trade if she sees one she likes better than one she has.

As for value, the larger or more involved a pin is (like it has more layers or danglers or other features), generally the more it cost to begin with. Some pins are limited editions or exclusives - they are harder to get and may be more valuable.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

I think I'm going to go for rides that are my favourites and characters that I like. I can see how you could go insane trying to collect them all. I'll start small and hope it doesn't get out of hand

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    At alot of flea markets there are dealers and you can get them in bulk (20-100+) for about $2/each. You wind up with a ton of repeats, but you're gonna trade them anyways right? Also, you can get them in bulk on Ebay. Do look for the "hidden Mickey" head in gold on them. There are some copy cat pins out there. I don't know if all Disney ones have the ears in them, but fake ones will not.

allykat is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by satijp View Post
    At alot of flea markets there are dealers and you can get them in bulk (20-100+) for about $2/each. You wind up with a ton of repeats, but you're gonna trade them anyways right? Also, you can get them in bulk on Ebay. Do look for the "hidden Mickey" head in gold on them. There are some copy cat pins out there. I don't know if all Disney ones have the ears in them, but fake ones will not.
    Thanks - I will have to check out Ebay. My DD got a lanyard and about 4 pins on our last trip. I would like to buy some in advance that she will have to take and trade on our next trip.

jrick1960 is offline A-Ticket holder

Wink Help with Getting Started

Good Afternoon,
    And thanks for you post!
    If you can focus on an attraction, resort you stayed in ANYTHING it will help your "disposal Income for sure!!
    The company is putting out so many pins so quickly now that it can be a bit overwhelming to say the least!!
    But most important is collect what you like and trade what you don't and try not to get too wrapped in the whole "how much it cost on ebay thing".
    But the idea of buying a group or lot of pins on ebay to help supply you trading with cast members ie: off lanyards in the parks and resorts is a fantastic idea for sure .
    Please post again if you have any other questions!!
    Regards,
    John Rick
    Founder-Central Jersey Disney Pin Traders
    PinPics ID: jrick1960

I've had some pins that I got from a friend. A series of monorails and some pirates ones.
    I like some of the pirates ones and I think I'll keep them. The rest I will use to trade. I think I will focus on getting my favourite rides first.
    You mentioned not touching someone's lanyard, are their other etiquette issues I should know about?

catiebug is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Kheprismom View Post
    I've had some pins that I got from a friend. A series of monorails and some pirates ones.
    I like some of the pirates ones and I think I'll keep them. The rest I will use to trade. I think I will focus on getting my favourite rides first.
    You mentioned not touching someone's lanyard, are their other etiquette issues I should know about?
    I'm not sure what other people do but I only ask CMs to trade with me. I don't assume others at disney wearing lanyards want to trade their pins. I have to admit I was kind of peturbed by a fellow guest who assumed I would want to trade with him and his kid. I had just walked into AK with my BF last year and we got attacked by this man. It was very upsetting as we were new traders and were just going to do it with the CMs every now and then and this overbearing father comes running up with a kid going let me see your pins!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I only buy Stitch pins to collect...I never trade. Now I want to start getting Remy pins for display in my kitchen.

One thing about trading with CM...if they have on a GREEN lanyard they only trade with kids I believe.

jrick1960 is offline A-Ticket holder

Talking Tips for Getting Started!!

Good Day!
    And thanks again for the Questions!
    I am going to be posting a new section on our website titled "Pin Etiquette" so keep checking Home but as far as touching a CM lanyard. Always ask
    1st I think it just good manners.
    As far as other guests wanting to trade with you I guess it could be looked at both ways. Since you have a lanyard on people may think that you are interested in trading. That being said there is a RIGHT way to go about asking someone if they are interested in trading any of their pins! It sounds like your encounter did not quite go that way Don't be discouraged and by all means keep wearing your lanyard in the parks!!

All for now, and keep those questions coming!!
    John Rick
    Founder-Central Jersey Disney Pin Traders
    PinPics ID: jrick1960

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Kheprismom View Post
    I'm hoping to do some pin trading on my upcoming trip. Anybody have any tips to have a good experience with pin trading?
    I got started by buying a bunch of pins from eBay, for like $4 each. Look for auctions that are selling a bunch together for the best deal. It shouldn't matter at all *what* pins you buy from eBay, since the whole point is to trade them anyway.

I've also bought a couple of the starter sets that you can find in pretty much every gift shop in the parks. They usually come with a lanyard and 4 to 8 pins, half of which are unique (the idea being to keep one and trade one of each). Again, doesn't matter what they are.

I have too many pins at this point to fit on one lanyard. I tend to wear two lanyards in the parks now, one with the pins I really like and don't want to trade, and one with the pins I will trade. I never ask other guests to trade, but if some little kid is looking at my pins, I'll almost always trade anything on my trading lanyard, just to help make the kid's day.

Remember to look for blue and yellow lanyards on cast members. The green ones are for kids only. Also, those "hidden mickey" pins that someone else referred to - not every official Disney pin has one. The hidden mickeys series are pins that were created by Disney specifically for cast member lanyards. That is, pins that you can only get by trading, you can't buy them at stores. But not having a hidden mickey doesn't make it a non-Disney pin. Cast Members could have any Disney pins on their lanyards, because they're trading with guests all day long.

As for what to collect, anything you like. I like obscure characters - one of my favorites was a Beagle Boy from Duck Tales. For trading, anything that "looks cool" I'll trade for. For collecting, lately I've been getting pins of each of my favorite attractions; before that I was collecting villians. I also collect a pin of the current year and a pin of the hotel I'm staying at. Finally, I have two pins that were included as part of a tour - the Keys to the Kingdom tour and the Around the World on Segway tour. Those ones I'll NEVER trade.

Oh, I also have the two YoaMD pins. When I won the pins a second time, I traded them to a CM to give someone else the chance to trade for them.

Good luck, and happy trading!
    Last edited by mritty; 08-18-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: "Duck Tales"

kimmishel is offline A-Ticket holder
    I love pin trading. I actually got my god daughters started on this just last week during our trip. It is such a wonderful thing. I buy a lot of my pins off of ebay. I have a few reputable people that I work with on there. I belong to some forums too that do pin trading as well. Okay one that has done it is DIS and one that is trying to do it is Sunshine. Those should be fun. I have traded both on the east and west coast and I have to say the west is more of a pain then the east is. WDW is so much more fun to trade in. DL just has a ton of hounds.

Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast