Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss question about NYC World of Disney Store in the Disneyana forums; Does anyone know if the cast members at the NYC World of Disney store trade pins like the cast members in the parks? Or, are pins only available during scheduled ...
    DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder

question about NYC World of Disney Store

Does anyone know if the cast members at the NYC World of Disney store trade pins like the cast members in the parks? Or, are pins only available during scheduled pin trading events?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Dan

Disneyhomevideo

DisneyHomeVideo is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: question about NYC World of Disney Store

So everyone is aware - the last time I was at the store, the store employees WERE doing pin trading. This is in addition to the monthly trading events that are scheduled. Here is a link to their schedule.

NYC monthly pin trading schedule

Dan

If anyone is interested, I do have a video of the NYC store posted on my DisneyHomeVideo youtube channel, as well as an article on Disney in NYC. The article is about a year out-of-date (I believe the MOMA exhibits have moved on at this point and Disney announced they will be closing The Little Mermaid show in favor of a touring production), but if you're planning a visit to NYC you may find it interesting. I think most people are aware of them, but in case you weren't, here are the links.

Disneyhomevideo

The Mouse in Manhattan article

Cheers everyone!

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Thanks for letting us know, I don't trade pins but I love to go to the store to just see all the new pins, it's a great store, sorry to hear that it's closing The lease on 5th Ave. expires in January, not sure if they will close the store then or get an extention on their lease till they open a store again in Times Square. Guess we'll see what Disney has in store.
    I saw the other day on the business news that Disney will be revamping their stores, here's an article on it.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/bu...sney.html?_r=1
    BTW I saw The Little Mermaid before it closed and it was great!!
    Not sure if that is the link you wanted there but it is a link of Remy and PUSH, it's cute!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

gummie22 is offline A-Ticket holder

We go to the store every month for pin trading, and the last we heard, the store was closing on 12/21/09. What we heard (don't know if it's true), is that the space is owned by Coca-Cola, and they want too much in rent. So Disney is moving out. This is going to leave a big void for my son, who has gotten very used to pin trading every month. He knows all the CMs who love to trade with him, and give him extra special attention. Many of them remember him by name! We won't really feel this loss until the spring, cause we're going to WDW during President's Week. I really hope they open somewhere nearby soon -- cause we have become very spoiled!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

If it's true, hopefully they're relocate and not shut down. Still, three floors is a bit much, even though it's a beautiful shop with a great layout.

But yes, I've seen employees wearing pin lanyards there.

PhantomVirus is offline A-Ticket holder

Ah sadly the store is closing in a week......there will be another "Disney Store' opeining in the Times Square area but it will be a traditional Disney Store (clothes, plush, generic Disney gear) and not a WOD.

Since the WOD was an extension of the parks it sold a completely different type of merchandise and did things like the resorts in WDW.

FROM WHAT I HEAR the new store will NOT carry pins and the CM's will not be WDW employees - there will be no pin trading and no lanyards.

Shame on Coke (greedy as they are to try to triple the rent - I'm drinking PEPSI in protest!) and a true letdown for those of us that frequented the WOD store to get our Disney 'fix'.

I actually work 3 blocks away so I was there all the time...............

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

That's a bummer. While the Disney Stores are a bit better than they used to be it was always such a unique experience to find an extension to the parks in NYC. Plus CMs enjoyed a nice discount and passholders got their 10% too.

In a week? I'm going to have to take a trip there on Monday before work or on my lunch hour. Sad to hear.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

The CM's said 12/31 was when the lease was up and when it would close......they had everything with a NYC WOD Logo for 65% off 2 weeks ago.....

Guess I'll be sure to take my wallet along with me when I visit on Monday!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Direct from their website:

World of Disney® in New York City Closing on December 31, 2009
    For over five years, World of Disney on Manhattan's Fifth Avenue in New York City brought a dash of Disney magic to the Big Apple. In case you haven't heard the news, this enchanting 3-story store packed with Disney delights will be closing its doors on December 31, 2009. Don't miss out on this final opportunity to visit and experience its unique charm. And of course, a great big thank you to all of the wonderful visitors who visited New York City's World of Disney!

Did you go today? Anything left?

Just ran up there on my lunch hour. There is a line to get into the store, though it moves fairly quickly. Everything in the store is 75% off. And by everything, I mean whatever's left. There isn't much. A small handful of pins (nothing special), some ornaments, and a ton of kids' clothing. Other miscellaneous collectibles, but it was hardly worth my trip up there. I did get an Up video game for 75% off, along with two holiday tree ornaments, a key chain, and a post card.

The entire second and third floors are closed up, and all of their merchandise is on the first floor. Not worth the trip, unless you want to snap a few pictures.