Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss Authentic Disney Pins in the Disneyana forums; I am looking to buy a bulk amount of pins from ebay to trade on our upcoming trip. I was browsing some of the listings and I noticed that one ...
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Authentic Disney Pins

I am looking to buy a bulk amount of pins from ebay to trade on our upcoming trip. I was browsing some of the listings and I noticed that one of the sellers stated that not all authentic Disney Pins have the Official Disney Pin Trading logo on them. Is that true or is this person selling fake pins that can't be traded in the parks.
    Last edited by ohiodisneydad; 07-28-2009 at 09:43 AM.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Authentic Disney Pins

I did not buy off e-bay, but I have seen the warning also that some pins were not official and could not be traded.

That's what I heard too. I may repost this in the Experts section. I don't many of us get down this far on the boards.
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

morwen is offline B-Ticket Holder

All pins should have the logo on the back. You can check out the sellers reviews from other buyers and see if they have any bad feedback. Also if they show pictures of the pins look at pinpics.com to see if they are authentic.
    Melli

Disney vists
    May 1997 - off site
    May 2007 - Pop Century
    Dec/Jan 2008/09 - New Year's Eve at POFQ

future
    Jan-May 2010 College Program
    Oct 2010 - Polynesian

Tinklvr is offline A-Ticket holder

Well, I am no expert and am very new to all of this, but I just bought a lot of 30 pins to trade. They all had the official logos on the backs and the mickey ears backings on them. I can find the seller's ID for you if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinklvr View Post
    Well, I am no expert and am very new to all of this, but I just bought a lot of 30 pins to trade. They all had the official logos on the backs and the mickey ears backings on them. I can find the seller's ID for you if you like.
    Sure! That'd be great.

Well, now I am paranoid that some of mine may not be legit. I am trying to look up all of my pins to make sure they are all tradeable. I definitely have some that are legitimate, but have a feeling some may not be. One of them is a mini Jasmine pin. I saw it online at the Disney Store and the one I have has a different color on the genie lamp. So, I hesitate to recommend the seller until I have verified all of my pins. They have a 100% positive feedback, but I guess that doesn't mean anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinklvr View Post
    Well, now I am paranoid that some of mine may not be legit. I am trying to look up all of my pins to make sure they are all tradeable. I definitely have some that are legitimate, but have a feeling some may not be. One of them is a mini Jasmine pin. I saw it online at the Disney Store and the one I have has a different color on the genie lamp. So, I hesitate to recommend the seller until I have verified all of my pins. They have a 100% positive feedback, but I guess that doesn't mean anything!
    Send me their name in a PM. I'll look into them.

I just pm'd you. I have a scrapper March Hare from teh Alice Watch collection, a Stitch Scrapper and I think one of the Peter Pan pins I have is a counterfit. Some do seem to be legit pins, but I am by no means an expert...really hoping the entire lot is not a bunch of fakes!

PhantomVirus is offline A-Ticket holder

Many, Many people on eBAY have great feedback but sell scrapper/knock off junk - people rate the shipping/receipt experience an not always on the legitimacy of the pins as they have no clue.

There are factories in China that make replicas of the Disney pins for pennies and sell them in bulk to eBAY sellers that then sell them for $1.00 or even less each.

Take a look at the DizPins or PinPics websites and they have a small sample of the junk out there. Sadly most cast members don't know the subtleties in the genie lamp color between a real and fake so they trade with you - that pin ends up on someone else's lanyard who traded with that CM. - then that person goes home and finds out that the pin is a fake - the experience is ruined for them (at least it was for me last year).

Look to buy from reputable folks. I try to buy from folks on the DizPins board in the FOR SALE section - yes you will pay a bit more but you can have a clear conscience, sadly the pin you get in return may be a counterfeit or a piece of 'scrapper' junk but forewarned is forearmed.

If you are collecting for fun and not for re-trading then enjoy it - if you plan on flipping / retrading pins then I suggest that you bone up on what the latest fakes are out there and how to avoid them.

Have fun - best regards
    Ron