Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss How does it work? in the Disneyana forums; I have never traded pins before, and I'm not really a pin collector, but I'm curious about how it all works. I have a AAA travel package pin with Chip ...
    Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

How does it work?

I have never traded pins before, and I'm not really a pin collector, but I'm curious about how it all works. I have a AAA travel package pin with Chip driving a purple car. I actually have three of them, and thought that I would bring them to WDW when I go in June. I am going with two of my best friends, and was thinking I would give one to each of them and use them to trade for a pin that we like. I know that you can only trade pins that are on lanyards, but do you have to wear them to trade? Like if I put it on my purse, would that be ok? Obviously I don't want to ask to trade for a pin that might be out of my range. According to pinpics.com (pin number 4345) this particular retired pin's ratio for trading to waiting is 62:57. What would be appropriate to trade for?

Besides this the only official pin that I have is the 2004 Music Magic Day pin (28429) that I received when I performed in WDW when I was in high school with my show choir. I do not wish to trade this pin for sentimental reasons. But am thinking about getting into trading and collecting a little bit here and there.
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Re: How does it work?

I don't know about what they have to be on to trade them or trading ratios, but I have traded at the parks before.
    Every time, so far, that we have traded with a CM they have traded straight-up. last I heard they have to keep a minimum of 12 (I think, maybe 13?) pins on their lanyard at all times.
    One of the best ways to start pin trading is to go on E-Bay or someplace and acquire some really cheap pins and then start trading up with the CM's to start a decent collection.
    Hope that helps a bit.
    I'm sure others will be along with a lot more info about pin trading for you, too.
    Have fun!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Buy junk pins at a Disney Store if one is near where you live. Trade the junkers for good ones from castmembers.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    Buy junk pins at a Disney Store if one is near where you live. Trade the junkers for good ones from castmembers.
    The last time we had pins at the Disney Store that I'm a part-time Cm at, was when UP came out on DVD/Blu-Ray. You had to buy the WHOLE package to get 4 pins. So if you were planning on doing that anyway, then that is one possible route.
    I just got off the phone with our lead manager, and she said that when the Toy Story double feature comes out on Mar. 23 you will be able to get 4 pins with that package too.
    Any that are left over after a certain time are not put out to be sold. They are taken out of stock and sent out to be destroyed as per company policy. Some stores may be different, but Disney is pretty darn consistent when it comes to those policies.
    I think you can get 'em (other "less desireable" pins, that is - I happen to desire them all ) for about a buck a piece on E-bay.
    Hope that helped a bit more!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 03-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Whne my kids traded, I remember CMs with two different colored lanyards. The little ones could trade any pin they wanted with the CMs, but older kids and adults were limited to only one of the olored lanyards and the CMs would make appropriate trades with them. In other words, adults could not trade a starter pin for a collector's edition pin, but children could. This "policy" was to keep adults from trading upfor collector's items while not inhibiting the little ones form the fun of the trade.

Be11e is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thanks. It sounds like the best way to trade the pin that I have is with a CM. You know, I never noticed the pins before on cast memebers last time I was at the parks, but I will look for them the next time now that I'm interested.
    Next Trip: January 2012
    All-Star Sports for Marathon Weekend
    2010 - Saratoga Springs
    2009 - Pop Century
    2004 - All-Star Music
    2004 - Disney Cruise Line, Magic
    2001 - All-Star Music
    1998 - Disneyland
    1990 - Carribean Resort

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Here are some pin trading tips:
    *You can trade up to 2 pins at a time with 1 CM
    *The pin has to be an official Disney pin (with the Disney logo on the back)
    *If the CM has a green lanyard, they can only trade with kids 12 and under
    *If the CM has the pin already, they aren't supposed to trade (they technically are supposed to have 9 or 12 different pins on their lanyard)
    *Please make sure to not grab the CM's lanyard (I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me). If you want to get a better look at a pin, just ask the CM

Have fun! I love pin trading with guests. I enjoy the interaction.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Beeker is offline A-Ticket holder

I fully agree with all said above. Cast members are the way to go for most beginners and even some vets like me. They'll always help you get a fair trade. Plenty of them have great fun trading. Some will do a "mystery pin" set on the other side of their lanyard and it's always a blast seeing what you get. I highly recommend either E-Baying a large amount of "fodder" before arriving or buying several packs such as the Muppets or Pirates pack in the park. 6 or 7 pins for fairly cheap (Maybe 15-20 dollars?) that you will not get too attached to.
    Meep? Meep mee mee meep. Mi mee meep. Meeeep!