Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss The Dave Smith Collection: Pins in the Disneyana forums; The Dave Smith Collection Celebrating the top 20 moments in Disney Theme Park History... In partnership with Dave Smith, director of the Walt Disney Company Archives and long-time Disney Historian, ...
    BigDaddyKyle is offline Moderator

The Dave Smith Collection: Pins

The Dave Smith Collection
    Celebrating the top 20 moments in Disney Theme Park History...

In partnership with Dave Smith, director of the Walt Disney Company Archives and long-time Disney Historian, the Walt Disney World® Resort is delighted to announce a new Limited Edition "pin-of-the-month" collection. This collection celebrates the top 20 moments in Disney Theme Park history as selected by Dave. A new pin will be released each month starting May 5, 2005 through December 5, 2006. Each pin will have an edition size of 2000.

The pins will be mounted on unique backer card (seen below) which gives a brief history of that particular selection. A "Dave Smith Medallion" will also be attached somewhere to the pins, signifying it is part of this extra special pin collection.

The following Disney Theme Park moments have been selected for this collection:

• May 2005 - Walt Disney and Theme Park Beginnings
    • June 2005 - Disneyland® Park opens
    • July 2005 - First Operating Disney Monorail
    • August 2005 - it's a small world
    • September 2005 - Pirates of the Caribbean
    • October 2005 - Carousel of Progress
    • November 2005 - Magic Kingdom® opens
    • December 2005 - Main Street Electrical Parade debuts
    • January 2006 - Space Mountain launches for Guests
    • February 2006 - Epcot® opens
    • March 2006 - Tokyo Disneyland® Park opens in Japan
    • April 2006 - Illuminations at Epcot® debuts
    • May 2006 - Disney-MGM Studios opens
    • June 2006 - Opening of Disneyland Paris
    • July 2006 - Twilight Zone (TM) Tower of Terror opens
    • August 2006 - Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park opens
    • September 2006 - Opening of Disney's California Adventure (TM) Park
    • October 2006 - Tokyo Disney Sea® Park opens in Japan
    • November 2006 - Opening of Walt Disney Studios Park in France
    • December 2006 - Hong Kong Disneyland opens

Who is Dave Smith?
    With the establishment of the Walt Disney Archives on June 22, 1970, Dave Smith joined The Walt Disney Company as the director of the Archives. As the company's archivist, Dave is charged with collecting and preserving all aspects of Disney history and making the material available to researchers from all areas of the company. Since the company is often working on projects which reuse elements from its past, there is constant call upon the Archives for information. The Archives also answers mail, email, and telephone inquiries from the public.

In the years since the Archives was established, it has grown from a one-person department to a current staff of nine. The company's Photo Library was added to Dave's responsibilities in 1986. The Archives is located at the Disney Studio in Burbank. It has come to be recognized as a model among corporate archives in the country, and Dave is now regarded as the final authority on matters of Disney history.

Born and raised in Pasadena, California, the child of librarians and educators, David Rollin Smith earned a B.A. in history and a Masters Degree in Library Science from the University of California at Berkeley.

Dave has written extensively on Disney history, with a regular question and answer column in Disney Magazine and the former Disney Channel Magazine, and numerous articles in such publications as Disney News. Dave is the author of the official Disney encyclopedia Disney A to Z (1996, updated edition in 1998, and supplemented monthly online at http://disney.go.com/vault/read/dave_smith.html). With Kevin Neary he co-authored The Ultimate Disney Trivia Books 1, 2, 3, & 4. His book, Disney: The First 100 Years, co-authored with Steven Clark, was published in 1999 (with an updated edition in 2002). He compiled The Quotable Walt Disney, a collection of Walt Disney's quotes, in 2001. He has written introductions to a number of other Disney books, and often lectures on Disney subjects.

Please Note - All information is subject to change including but not limited to dates, times, artwork, release dates, edition sizes and retail prices.

See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I want... ALL these pins.

good lookin' out Kyle!

My Cm friend told me the one that came out in may sold out in two hrs in the Splash photo store!
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    I have the CoP pin of the Dave Smith Collection
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

GrmGrnningGhost is offline Friends Call Me Snow Miser...
    wow they sound cool. do you have pictures of the pins?

I wish they had a haunted mansion pin
    Josh

The happy haunts have received your simpathetic vibrations, and are begining to materialize.They're assembling for a swinging wake,and they will be expecting me.I will see you all a little later

I'm Mister White Christmas
    I'm Mister Snow
    I'm Mister Icicle
    I'm Mister Ten Below
    Friends call me Snow Miser
    What ever I touch
    Turns to snow in my clutch
    I'm too much!

check out www.odpt.com for the pics search for dave smith.

BDK
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    I was at Epcot this weekend (as I am almost everyday) and I had to get a couple of pins, and I bought the CoP pin and hadn't seen any of the others. I wish I would have bought the first ones, but I'm glad I was able to get this one.
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

AlecTronic is offline Fear The Ears
    i have the monorail pin. (jul 05) it has the gold pin on pin, plus the monorail slides