Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Pin Trading Discuss I Have Some Pins That Are Collectors Pins in the Disneyana forums; During the year of a million dreams when guests were approached at random by cast members and given free stuff like fast passes and other stuff;some even got to stay ...
    Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I Have Some Pins That Are Collectors Pins

During the year of a million dreams when guests were approached at random by cast members and given free stuff like fast passes and other stuff;some even got to stay for a night in the Cinderella Castle Suite!Well,we were in line for Soarin for our first time and after we reached the last queue line next to the wall,a young boy and his dad came up in line behind us.The boy had a lanyard with some unique pins on it.We noticed that they were pins commemorating the year of a million dreams.One pin had Mickey and Minnie on it and the other had Donald and Goofy on it.Well,when a cast member girl approached them,the little boy wanted to trade one of those pins with her for another.We heard what she told the dad,and she said,"you really don't want to get rid of these pins".We read between the lines and we knew that what she was telling the dad was,that these pins will be collectors pins and there aren't a lot of them made.So you will be better off if you keep these pins.
    So hearing that,we thought to ourselves,wow,those are gonna be worth a lot of money one day being that there won't be a lot of them out there.So as we approached the end of that queue to turn left to go toward the ride entrance,just then we,along with three Asians in front of us were taken to the side before we were able to ride.We didn't know why,or what was wrong.Turns out,a cast member walked up to all of us and gave us the very same lanyard with two pins each on each lanyard of the pins commemorating the year of a million dreams.Yeah baby! We were all given one also.So even though my family and I are not pin collectors or pin traders,we will hold on to these for a good while and check to see if their value increases.Still may not sell them,unless I am offered a substantial amount for them.Just wanted to share this with yall pin traders.Though yall might like to know this.Oh by the way,I collect magnets instead of the pins,because they are a whole lot cheaper and heck,I just like 'em!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Walt Disney is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: I Have Some Pins That Are Collectors Pins

The pins the Dream Squad were open edition pins, and since they gave out thousands of them, the pins really aren't worth much money wise. It's good to see you treasure them nonetheless!
    Mickey is the mouse that made me the man I am.

Visit the Disney Cast Member Nametag Museum!

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I admit I've gotten into the pin craze. And though I never got the Year of a Million Dream pins like that; I've scouted around on e-bay and found some nice ones I like. I collect pins from extinct attractions, preferably original pins and not commemoritve ones like what were released for Epcot's 25th.

I don't know how valuable they are, but I know I've had at least Cast Member drueling my Alien Encounter one. Its just the standard release AE pin, but I guess his buddy had had one and all the detail had gotten rubbed off.

Yes I do treasure the pins since they were given to us at Epcot.I also realize that they did this for a year or a little longer so I do know that they gave out thousands of those lanyard/pin sets.However they would be more rare and harder to find (except for e bay),only because there were probably not millions made but only thousands.Anything that is a disney souvenier which is a little less popular than the "run of the mill" souveniers is what I like to collect.That is why I collect magnets.They are cheap and there are all kinds of designs and most are very colorful.I have a second fridge in my garage and the front is covered with magnets.Not only from WDW but from places I've been.I have some from Washington,DC,the Carolinas,Gatlinburg,London,etc.When I visit special places like National Parks I have some from there.But most of mine are from WDW!
    I probably won't ever realy "get into" the pin craze,as you said,FlRancho,because it is too expensive to buy pins all the time.But if I spotted one that is rare or special to me,I'd probably buy it and put it on my dreams lanyard.But I hope you enjoy your collecting.But if you find it becomes too expensive at some point,just remember this thread and what I shared with you about my collecting.Cheers!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I'm sure pin collecting does get expensive, but I rarely buy myself pins.

If I know of an attraction that is going to be demolished, or have it under good deduction that it will in all liklihood be closing, I'll buy the pin. Every so often someone will purchase one for me for Christmas from ebay of an attraction that has already been retired. If I hear of an attraction closing or that its going into seasonal operation, that's usually when I'll snap up the pin, and that's pretty much the only time I ever buy them.

Most of my other pins are actually Limited AP Editions that were given out for "testing" the ride out before it officially opened to the public or some I bought when I first started out because I liked them or some I was given by others. These random pins are generally my "traders".

I'm lucky if I actually buy a pin a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Flrancho View Post
    I'm sure pin collecting does get expensive, but I rarely buy myself pins.

If I know of an attraction that is going to be demolished, or have it under good deduction that it will in all liklihood be closing, I'll buy the pin. Every so often someone will purchase one for me for Christmas from ebay of an attraction that has already been retired. If I hear of an attraction closing or that its going into seasonal operation, that's usually when I'll snap up the pin, and that's pretty much the only time I ever buy them.

Most of my other pins are actually Limited AP Editions that were given out for "testing" the ride out before it officially opened to the public or some I bought when I first started out because I liked them or some I was given by others. These random pins are generally my "traders".

I'm lucky if I actually buy a pin a year.
    See that's the way to do it.But something rare or a pin of something leaving or such as that.That would be how I would do it also.To me,this buying any pin and every pin just because..... is a little bit silly in my book.But I am not knocking it at all.Everybody likes to collect something in life so if disney pins makes some people happy then they should go all out.I do the same thing about magnets,but they have to be special to me to buy them.I don't just buy any magnet just to buy magnets.Special ones or rare ones or something unique.Like me!LOL!
    Park Hopper Dad!

funmamas is offline A-Ticket holder

Hello,
    Your comments are so true. I also collect magnets, every time our family goes on vacation or somewhere special or new, we buy a keepsake magnet. It is very fun looking at all of the magnets and remembering the day you got it.

I also collect Disney Pins. It started out innocent enough 3 years ago, but then I ended up collecting and buying every pin I could.

Recently I went through my thousands of pins and started selling the ones I didn't absolutely love on eBay.

I still kept a lot, but not nearly as many as before. So many of the pins have special meanings and Disney memory's, and lots of them are just super cool and beautiful. I never keep a pin solely based on its value though.

Thanks!

Disney World is our Backyard! Read about our life & adventures -> HERE

Quote Originally Posted by funmamas View Post
    Hello,
    Your comments are so true. I also collect magnets, every time our family goes on vacation or somewhere special or new, we buy a keepsake magnet. It is very fun looking at all of the magnets and remembering the day you got it.

I also collect Disney Pins. It started out innocent enough 3 years ago, but then I ended up collecting and buying every pin I could.

Recently I went through my thousands of pins and started selling the ones I didn't absolutely love on eBay.

I still kept a lot, but not nearly as many as before. So many of the pins have special meanings and Disney memory's, and lots of them are just super cool and beautiful. I never keep a pin solely based on its value though.

Thanks!
    That's cool. As I said earlier, the magnets I prefer are the ones I buy from whereever I am. But my sister and her husband went to Hawaii a few years back and just got back from Vegas two weeks ago and brought me a magnet from both places.I am very glad to have them,cause I will never go to Vegas and most likely never to Hawaii either.So certain ones from places I know I will never go to,I like those as well. Tell ya a little secret: I also collect 1/64 scale cars too.Matchbox,Hot Wheels,or any other name brand of classic cars,special cars, or tv/movie cars. I have The Munsters Coach and Dragula,I have two Mach 5's from Speed racer,I have a Monkees VW Van and a Monkeemobile,I have a General Lee from Dukes, I have a Partridge Family bus,plus other cars from the 50's thru 70's and a couple from the 80's.So collect, collect,collect! Enjoy my friend.
    Park Hopper Dad!

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Believe it or not I bought my first pin during my last visit to EPCOT's flower and garden show. I would like to collect Pinochio pins but they seem hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by prickle View Post
    Believe it or not I bought my first pin during my last visit to EPCOT's flower and garden show. I would like to collect Pinochio pins but they seem hard to find.

Pinochio pins may be hard to find,being an old Disney classic.
    Park Hopper Dad!