Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Prayers & Pixie Dust Discuss Great racer dies - P&P for the fam in the General Discussions forums; Eric Medlen was an amazing person. I was friends with many of his crew members and a friendly aquaintance of his and his racing family. Please pray for his family ...
    satijp is offline Fastpass Holder

Unhappy Great racer dies - P&P for the fam

Eric Medlen was an amazing person. I was friends with many of his crew members and a friendly aquaintance of his and his racing family. Please pray for his family and our entire racing community as we deal with the loss.

"Eric Medlen, 33, who had emerged as one of the most popular young drivers in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, succumbed Friday afternoon to injuries suffered when his race car crashed into a guardwall during a Monday test session at Gainesville Raceway.
    The talented Funny Car driver never regained consciousness. After being treated at the track, he was transported by ShandsCair helicopter to Shands at the University of Florida medical center where medical staff treated him for four days for a severe closed head injury.
    "Eric suffered from severe traumatic brain injury with diffuse axonal injury, or DAI," said Dr. Joseph Layon, professor of anesthesiology, surgery, and medicine and the chief of Critical Care Medicine at UF. "Survival rates associated with DAI are low.
    "On Tuesday, UF and Shands neurosurgery team performed a cranjectomy and removed the front portion of the skull to relieve pressure and attempt to improve blood flow to the brain," Layon explained. "Despite receiving the most aggressive treatment, Eric continued to have uncontrollable intracranial pressure. His body lost the ability to manage its salt and water levels, and he began displaying the complicating factors associated with DAI.
    "That is when Eric's family elected to honor Eric's wishes and remove him from the artificial life support systems. Our hearts go out to Eric's loved ones."
    "On behalf of the family, I want to thank the medical staff at Shands not just for giving Eric the very best care he could have received, but for the compassion it showed for Eric and all those close to him," said his father, John Medlen. "I also want to thank the thousands of people who offered their prayers and support to us during this very difficult time."
    As recently as Thursday night, more than 100 drivers and crewmembers representing every Indianapolis-based race team attended a prayer vigil organized by Kelly Bustos, team manager for Tuttle Motorsports, which fields Top Fuel dragsters for 2006 Auto Club Road to the Future Award winner J.R. Todd, one of Medlen's closest friends in the sport."

http://www.nhra.com/2007/medlen/index.html
    Last edited by satijp; 04-06-2007 at 10:47 AM.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I heard about this on Saturday. Very sad indeed. One bit of comfort is that he died doing something he loved. He and his family are in my prayers.

BTW - Who is your husband? I need someone to root for in drag racing. It has gotten boring pulling for Force all the time. He is just so automatic. I'm kind of on a Troxel kick right now. I would love seeing a woman be competitive in any form of motorsports. I am an avid race fan (no particular type of racing, just anything fast.) and have done my fair share of sanctioned amatuer racing.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    That's cool!!! I've been a fan of the Hines family for years!! Andrew more than Matt because he rides an American bike!!!!

Looking forward to Andrew getting his 4th consecutive championship this year!
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Also, Eric has more friends and admirers than one could imagine. The line at his wake last night was out the doors. The Force family of racers will be sitting out this weekend. Keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.