Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Prayers & Pixie Dust Discuss Me, My Mother and the National Kidney Walk 2008 in the General Discussions forums; I haven't been on here in a while. To be honest I've missed this place. I really need to have some fun back in my life as we have had ...
    ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

Me, My Mother and the National Kidney Walk 2008

I haven't been on here in a while. To be honest I've missed this place. I really need to have some fun back in my life as we have had a rough couple of years in the Breakey family. We have had to deal with alot of adversity lately with one my Aunts (and fellow Disney nut) losing a long battle with breast cancer last year, another Aunt (another Disney nut) currently battling breast cancer, my Grandmother succumbing to brain cancer 2 years ago, my father-in-law currently battling throat cancer and my own Mother battling End Stage Renal Failure (kidney failure). So I need a hug for me and lots of Prayers and Pixie Dust for my family.

Which brings me to the reason for this post...

My Mother (known as "Nana" to her grandchildren and on DWT.com) is suffering from kidney disease. She has been living with kidney failure for several years now (currently she has less than 17% kidney function). It is a silent, but I assure you, a very deadly disease. I watch the pain my mother goes through, which is both physical and emotional. She has been lucky so far, avoiding dialysis, in hope of receiving a kidney transplant. I was tested to be a potential donor, along with several others, but unfortunately, she suffers from an extremely rare condition that doesn't allow for a 'simple transplant'. In basic terms, her body will reject any kidney thanks to an extremely high level of anti-bodies in her blood. This means a transplant is close to impossible without a lot more research and a lot more luck. In the very near future, she will begin dialysis. When the time comes, if she does not have dialysis, she will not live. It is life support, plain and simple.

Kidney Disease is widespread; we need more research to better the lives of those living on dialysis and those waiting for a transplant.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...upId=205280449

To illustrate exactly how serious of a disease this is, my Mother's close friend Susie, who she met through a kidney disease website just passed away yesterday from this disease. Susie (who was known as GoofyNina online), was only 40 years old. She had been on dialysis for only a couple of years when things took a turn for the worst on Wednesday (Feb 13th). By 7pm last night, GoofyNina lost her battle. That is only 24 hours from things turning bad to her loosing her battle.

In honor of my mother ("Nana") and in memory of her friend Susie ("GoofyNina"), my sister has just formed a "walk-a-thon" team. On Saturday, March 29th this team will walk in Raleigh in the Triangle Kidney Walk 2008. Here is why I emailed everyone today… We need your help. The team's goal is to raise as much money as possible in honor of my Mother and in memory of GoofyNina. You can help in two ways. Follow the link to make a donation straight on our Team's site, or if you would like to join our team, walk with us on March 29, help us get to our goal!

Please share this with anyone you think might want to help. Thank you!

Also… be sure to follow the link below to register and/or donate. Every dollar helps.

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg...upId=205280449

Thank you for your time

Todd
    Last edited by ToddBreakey; 02-15-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Todd,
    I am so sorry to hear this! Please know my thoughts and Prayers are with you and your family during this tough time. I am sorry my donation is not a lot, but it was the best I could do. I did it in memory of my Nana that passed away due to Skin Cancer. I pray your mother can beat this and I pray you can stay strong through all of this. Please take care!

Stacy
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Todd,
    I would PM you back, but I do not have the right browser to do that. I am glad I could help you with your fight to cure Kidney Disease and only wish I could do more. I hope your walk is blessed by many people and I know God will be with your mother throughout this whole fight! Take care of yourself and many God filled blessings to your family!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

"You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

vmkplayer is offline <3 ragdollaye
    prayers and pixie dust!
    Kingdom Keepers forever!!

Thanks for the P & PD all. My team, which is made up of my family and friends have already raised over $4000 in just over a week for the National Kidney Foundation! That is pretty spectacular. We are currently the top team and have three of the top 5 fundraisers!!!! We are so excited and can't wait to see what happens over the next 5 or 6 weeks!!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

This is the newsletter that the organizer sent out to all registered participants of the Triangle Kidney Walk. They did a nice profile on our team and my Mom. Just thought I would share it with you all.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Our prayers are with you
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Wow, I really needed to do this update a long time ago. Itís hard to believe that it has been almost 2 months since the Triangle Kidney Walk. Well, is the story of how that wonderful day turned out.

When we woke up that Saturday morning the weather was looking gloomy. It was chilly and breezy but not raining. That last bit would change drastically later. But no crummy weather was going to keep us from doing this walk. So off to the site we went. The closer we got, the heavier the clouds looked. No big deal, surely the weather would hold off and let us get this walk in. Right?

So we get to the site and find out that our team has grown. Initially we had my family, some friends of the family and my manager and his wife. Well my managerís Mom and sister in law and her son decided to join us also!!! That was very cool. These people donít know us from Adam and they came out to walk for this great cause.

Our team consisted of My Family (Rebecca, Eliza, Emma and myself), my parents (Elizabeth (Nana) and Barry), my brotherís family (Adam, Amanda, AJ, Jack and Carrie Ann and her parents, Thomas and Karen), my sisterís family (Melissa, Zeke, Paxton and Jim and his daughters, Amber and Cassie), my baby sister (Beth, our team leader), long time friends of the family Ann and Gary Byerly, my manger and his family (Russell, Kristina, Linda, his sister in law and her son Daniel), and another long time friend of my Mom, Debra and her daughter Eleanor. Thatís a lot of people!!! All of the girls had tiaras and purple boas on, in memory of Nanaís friend Nina who lost her battle with kidney disease on Valentineís Day this year. Nana got the boys hats that said ďNanaís BoysĒ on them. They all wore them proudly.

So we all gather and listen to the opening speeches by the organizers and sponsors. There are several hundred walkers. Not too bad for the first event. When they did the countdown to start the walk, the rains started!!!! Nothing like starting a 3 mile walk with very cold, light rain falling!!!! Surely it will stop soon, right?? Not a chance!!!! And none of use brought any rain gear!!!! But being the troopers that we are and the fact that we are walking for a very important cause, we trudge on. Our youngest daughter, Emma, wasnít too keen on walking so she bundled up and rode in the wagon. Eliza and the older kids all RAN for the majority of the course!!! Oh, to be young and energetic again!!!! My Dad said he was going to go get his umbrella out of his car, thatís what he told us anyway!! Our team got spread out of course with some of the ďprofessionalĒ walkers basically sprinting the course. My brother decided that as soon as we saw someone else from our team walking back along the return portion, we would turn around and walk back with them! Thatís probably cheating, but I think Iím over it. Not 2 minutes later, Russell and his group start approaching us so we turned around. By the time we got back to the RTP Center we were all soaked and the post walk festivities were moved inside. And as we walk up, thereís my Dad, dry and waving at us from the warm confines of the Center with my Mom. I think he was a smart man!!!!

After some popcorn and refreshments they start the awards portion where they gave awards for the most members on a team, the dialysis with the most money raised, the top fundraising team and the top individual fundraiser. Well, I can tell you that Walking for Nana and Nina did alright in the awards department. We managed to raise over $7000 in just over 7 weeks to take the award for top team and I managed to raise over $3600 to claim the top individual prize. We even got a HUGE trophy for the team prize and I got a plaque for my office for the individual prize. As a whole, the first annual Triangle Kidney Walk raised $100,911 for the National Kidney Foundation of North Carolina to help provide services and support to those who are suffering from kidney disease.

We are VERY proud of what we were able to accomplish. The whole thing was Bethís idea. She organized the team following Nina passed away this year as a way to honor her. Iím not real sure how she found out about the walk, but Iím glad she did!

We canít wait until next years walk!! Hopefully it wonít be 42 degrees and rainy next year!!!!

Here is the newsletter with the results from the walk. Including a photo of my Mom with her trophy.

The local news channel, News 14 Carolina, interviewed my Mom and had the story on the news that afternoon and evening. Here is the link to the video. Unfortunately, they put a lot of the interview on the cutting room floor. When you see the girl in the wagon, thatís Emma!!!

News 14 Story

Thank you to all who made donations towards our cause and to all who supported us in prayer. It really means a lot to me!