Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Prayers & Pixie Dust Discuss Hurricane Ike in the General Discussions forums; Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those in the path of Hurricane Ike. Please, stay safe, evacuate if you have been asked to, and take care! Please check ...
    disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Hurricane Ike

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those in the path of Hurricane Ike. Please, stay safe, evacuate if you have been asked to, and take care!

Please check back in when you are able.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    P&P's for you all!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    P & Ps to everyone affected! Be safe and I hope to hear from you soon!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    My entire company is in the path of destruction. Our office is in downtown Houston and they are predicting it to be ripped to shreds by flying glass.

My parents are also in direct path as well and are told to expect 6-8 hours of 90-100mph winds. My mom is in a panic and my dad is his usual "who cares" attitude.

My life could drastically change if this turns out bad. I could be going down to dig my parents out and my be out of work if the office is decimated.

Being a former Houston resident I know how bad this ****er is shaping up to be.

I'm the only member of my company that lives outside of Texas
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Ray,
    I'm glad you are outside of TX, but I'm sure you still have a great deal of concern for the rest of your company and for family members. I don't blame your mom for being panic. I would be too. In fact I was pretty paniced when we were trying to leave FL when the last one was coming through. P&P for everyone. :
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Just heard from my BIL - they made it through last night just fine. Now they have to get through the rest with all of that rain. They live in Houston.
    Last edited by SnwhtNdwrfs; 09-13-2008 at 10:12 AM.

One news report said it could be as long as a month before everyone has power again. Ugh! I remember going without power for 9 days when a hurricane came through Baltimore. Coping longer would have been horrible. I feel like I should send Houston batteries.

I cannot remember which hurricane it was that ripped through NC in around 1996 and devasted the Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill area, but we were without power for a month.

We used our grill to cook and showered at the gym. That's how we got by. The other thing is that we got to know our neighbors really well. There wasn't much else to do but socialize the old fashion way like people did before TV and other forms of mindless entertainment
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

flutter is offline Moderator
    So, whats the word on your company and family Ray?

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Harra, have you been able to get status on your family, company, etc? I pray all is well. Please keep us posted.

I was on the clean side of Ike. I had heavy wind and rain and was ready as I could be for hurricane winds (per the warnings pinging my cell phone hourly since Thursday night). The quick jump Ike made north shortly before landfall moved the edge of the hurricane winds just enough east (barely) to miss Bastrop County. We had storms even last night and early a.m. so everything is pretty wet but I walked some of my property this morning and haven't seen even a limb down.

I couldn't reach my sister in Spring for hours but she finally got a brief text to me last evening. Yay! She said she and her BF are fine, cell phones not working much, not sure how severe the damage to her home (at the time of message she they hadn't been able to get outside to check damage). No idea on her BF's house since he hunkered downt at my sis' house so neither were alone for Ike.

We have a large Houston office as well. I drive into our Austin office to work every day and we just had a small group of attoreys leave the firm so we have enough space for Houston attorneys and staff to work in Austin if needed. There are people here in Bastrop that work in Houston. I have friends with family that came here to miss Ike's eye, work with folks whose families live in Seabrook, Galveston, etc. who probably lost it all. Very sad.

I hope everyone in Ike's way is alright. Keep us posted. Harra, again, I hope your family is alright. Prayers coming your way.

Sorry if I rambled. It has been a really long, emotional weekend here.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thank you! WE didn't evacuate as we were on the very cusp of the last zone that would have had to evacuate if told to do so. I will say I will never ever EVER stay for a hurricane again. Scariest night of my life. I ended up sleeping in the closet as I couldn't handle the noise anymore.

DH and I are some of the very few lucky ones. Only minor damage. Our fence fell down...it's arleady been fixed with our neighbors help. We only lost power for about 24 hours....there are still thousands upon thousands that still don't have any and won't for a while.

Thanks for the thoughts!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

My parents are still without power. They got water sometime last night. Since their water heater is gas and the range top in the kitchen is gas, they can cook some things and take hot showers.

They were without phone until this morning because their land lines went out after the thunderstorms that rolled through on Saturday night.

The frustrating part for my parents is that their area (Cypress, TX) is getting no press so they have no idea what is going on
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    I cannot remember which hurricane it was that ripped through NC in around 1996 and devasted the Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill area, but we were without power for a month.

We used our grill to cook and showered at the gym. That's how we got by. The other thing is that we got to know our neighbors really well. There wasn't much else to do but socialize the old fashion way like people did before TV and other forms of mindless entertainment
    You have very nice neighbors. The only neighbor that helped us during our ordeal was a neighbor that also didn't have power. No help was offered by the people across the street and down the block that still had power. We kept thinking that power was coming back at anytime since the house next to me and all down the rest of the community had power. I waited too late to cook anything in the freezer. I'm a bit smarter now about power loss.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Glad to hear you all made it through!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!