Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Prayers & Pixie Dust Discuss Asking for p&p once again... in the General Discussions forums; Hi all, This has not made the US news, but my DBF's home country of Tunisia is under great turmoil and in all likelyhood, a military coup. His entire family ...
    BethBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder

Asking for p&p once again...

Hi all,

This has not made the US news, but my DBF's home country of Tunisia is under great turmoil and in all likelyhood, a military coup. His entire family is still there and the protests and riots are nationwide. He and I are both very worried. 5 people were shot and killed by police snipers at a protest yesterday. This is a very dangerous situation and the country and his family could use all the prayers and Disney magic we have.

We are hoping for a solution that involves the least amount of harm, but also one that is the best for it's people in the long run.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.

Re: Asking for p&p once again...

No, seems the mainstream media couldn't be bothered to talk about this one, but that's become fairly commonplace these days. But for what it's worth, there are a few folks who are aware, and are definitely praying, for want of something more constructive to do.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Hadn't seen this post, til now. I hope all goes well, seems half the world is in a tizzy at the moment. Maybe the people can get control and have a better nation after the turmoil. I'm sorry that none of us can do more to help, but glad to pray.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Thank you so much for your kind words (and message!)

Tunisia, who started the Arab revolutions, is definitely doing better than a few months ago. They are, by nature, a very peaceful country -- often called the Switzerland of the Arab world. It was a terrifying time - and they are still going through turmoil, but here is the basic story...

The economy in Tunisia, like the rest of the world, is horrible. No one is finding work. A young man in Sidi Bouzid had just graduated college and was looking for work and was unable to find it. He started selling fruit in the Souq. The police harrassed and arrested him. He went back to the same area, and lit himself on fire in protest. He died. This created the original protests. People rising against a government that was doing nothing to help all those out of work, instead, they were raising food prices (which are largely controlled by the government). This was in December. By January the protests were enourmous and riots were ensuing. The police were beating men and shooting men in the streets by the presidents orders. It was horrible. Men, Women, Professionals, College Professors, dozens of people killed during the protests by the police. The day I posted this, Hatem's family (who live in a very small fishing village on the mediteranean) were hearing gunfire outside of their home. Two days later, the life-President, Ben Ali fled the country. In the next few months life in the small towns went back to normal, but the cities are still seeing fighting, protests and riots. Largely because everyone has a different opinion on the direction of the government. In the upcoming election, there are 52 parties currently signed to run for president. 52!

As you know, the protests spread to Yemen, Egypt, Algeria and most well-known, Lybia. I fully support the people in these countries. As a nation we have been taught to fear the Arab world. These people are trying to live free and unopressed lives, not controlled by tyranical life-term presidents who stomp on their citizens. Please keep the people of N. Africa and all the Arab nations in your thoughts and prayers. Fortunately, Hatem's family is safe, but so many others are struggling and willing to lay down their lives for their freedom -- and I pray for their safety.

Thanks so much guys! I can always count on Disney nerds for some kind words! Much love!

Thank you for the update, Beth. Our church (evangelical) had a special time of prayer in the two morning services for all of the turmoil throughout the world and for all the flood, tornado, and blizzard survivors in this nation. Our associate pastor is familiar with TUnisia and the unrest, he has been there as a traveling pastor. Out thoughts and prayers will continue, and the earnest, peace seeking folks in Tunisia can expect an end to the drama and an orderly shift to a better government.

Please keep us updated.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

prayers and pixie dust
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Thank you so much for the continued prayers. Southern Tunisia is now acting as a sort of Refuge for Lybians fleeing their nation. Houses are opening up to strangers, as is the custom of North Africa, hospitality being the cornerstone of their culture. They are great people with huge hearts.

Wow, in the midst of their own turmoil, they are assisting strangers? Nice.