Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Grand Floridian in the Vacation Planning forums; Ok, we are going to WDW in November ...we are 75 percent sure that we want to stay at GF this visit. Our travel party consists of my, dh, his ...
    ginarella is offline A-Ticket holder

Grand Floridian

Ok, we are going to WDW in November ...we are 75 percent sure that we want to stay at GF this visit. Our travel party consists of my, dh, his mom and our 2 boys ages 5&7. We stayed at All Star Movies in Sept of 05 and CBR in Sept of 06....and all of our visits prior to that we stayed at All Star Resorts. I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who has stayed at GF regarding whether or not you feel as though it's worth it. It is my dream to stay there, and my dh is agreeing to it. I just have this little part of my brain that is telling me that it's only a hotel room, and that we can stay at a moderate resort, and it will be just as nice. I know that the kids could care less, and my mother in law doesn't care either (especially since we're paying for her ) So, if you can give me some insight as to what your opinion is, that would definitely help me in my decision making process!! Thanks

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski
    My husband and I just came back from Disney in November and stayed at the Grand Floridian for our 25th Anniversary. WOW !! What an awesome place to stay.

If anyone is celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc. , let them know and they will go all out to help you celebrate the occasion.
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    I have stayed at every Disney resort at least once over the past 30 years. It's all a matter of personal preference.

That being said, the GF was the one it took me the longest to do. I finally went three years ago for a birthday trip for my daughter and a friends' daughter and her Mom. We decided to do the main building concierge since we were splitting the cost of the room.

The room was absolutely gorgeous with a great view of the Seven Seas Lagoon. We could see the MK fireworks from our balcony. The room was nicely decorated and well laid out and the amenities were excellent. The one drawback of the trip was the concierge staff - they just weren't as good as those I had encountered at other resorts. The girls did not care for either one of the pools there. In addition to that, I think the GF is not as fun as the other deluxes. It was as though everyone (guests & Cast) is always on their best behavior and not very relaxed. I was glad we stayed there, but I'm not really in a hurry to return there.

Since you have two young children, I think they might be better served by a different Deluxe Resort at WDW. If you want to stay in a MK resort, the Polynesian might be a better fit for you. The rooms are huge, the pool is fun (when it's not too crowded), you can watch the fireworks and the EWP from some of the rooms or the beach, the restaurants are good and you can take the Monorail or a boat to the MK.

If want to stay in a resort that is similar in its decor to the GF, you might consider the Beach Club. The rooms sleep five comfortably, there are several restaurants to choose from, easy access to Epcot and the big draw is the best pool on Disney property - something that would surely please your kids.

Just some things for you to think about.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i have stayed there and it is very nice but out of the deluxe resorts that is not my favorite. I like the yaght club so much better..but that is my personal opinion
    shannon

Crazy4Mickey is offline A-Ticket holder
    We stayed at Grand Floridian in June and it was very nice. We had a view of Magic Kingdom from the balcony which my daughter loved. We have also stayed at several other resorts as well. With as many people that will be traveling with you, have you considered some of the resorts with larger rooms? Old Key West has the largest rooms of all. As others mentioned, Beach and Yacht Club are nice as well. GF is the favorite with my daughter though so if this is a special trip, go ahead and splurge!
    Crazy4Mickey

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    I look forward to our trips every year, evern more so the years we stay at GF. The atmosphere is wonderful and it always seems so serene even though there are kids running around. We really enjoy it.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2tinners View Post
    My husband and I just came back from Disney in November and stayed at the Grand Floridian for our 25th Anniversary. WOW !! What an awesome place to stay.

If anyone is celebrating a birthday, anniversary, etc. , let them know and they will go all out to help you celebrate the occasion.
    That's definitely good to hear!

I loved the Polynesian when I was a kid. That's where my parents always chose to stay and I loved it. We always asked for a room right on the Lagoon, so I'd wake up and there would be sand outside my window! It always made me happy, so if you want a "nicer" resort I recommend there with children.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

EastonDenton is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I give the Grand Floridian nothing but my highest recommendations!
    It's a good thing!

EastonDenton is offline C-Ticket Holder
    And to agree with one of hte above posters, they do, at the GF, go all out to help you to celebrate special occasions. We celebrated our honeymoon there, and it was a trip we will never forget!
    It's a good thing!